Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Left-handed or Right-handed? Which are you?
Right handed 81 68.07%
Left handed 30 25.21%
Ambidextrous 8 6.72%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #76
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
How do you know which eye is dominant?
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #77
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_phoenix View Post
How do you know which eye is dominant?
I hope this makes sense being typed out...

take both index fingers and thumbs, make an "L" out of them, now touch rt thumb tip to left index finger tip and vice versa. hold them arms length in front of you and with both eyes open perfectly focus "something" (a clock , picture, figurine) in the middle of your finger box. first close your right eye, then open it and close the left. whichever closed eye leaves the most perfectly centered object in your finger box tells which eye dominance you are.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #78
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Hold up one thumb and cover a spot app. two meters away (it won't disappear completely but you'll see what is meant). Then close one eye at a time and the one which still covers the spot id's dominant.

For the feet let someone push you in the back in an unexpected moment. The foot you put forward instinctively is dominant (this can easy be manipulated, best try only once).
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #79
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post

take both index fingers and thumbs, make an "L" out of them, now touch rt thumb tip to left index finger tip and vice versa. hold them arms length in front of you and with both eyes open perfectly focus "something" (a clock , picture, figurine) in the middle of your finger box. first close your right eye, then open it and close the left. whichever closed eye leaves the most perfectly centered object in your finger box tells which eye dominance you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
Hold up one thumb and cover a spot app. two meters away (it won't disappear completely but you'll see what is meant). Then close one eye at a time and the one which still covers the spot id's dominant.

For the feet let someone push you in the back in an unexpected moment. The foot you put forward instinctively is dominant (this can easy be manipulated, best try only once).

Thank you.

I appear to be left eye dominant but am definitely right handed.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #80
ChipnDale
Rescue Rangers
ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad
Right-handed.

Also I never knew Brad Pitt was left handed...

Last edited by ChipnDale; 02-01-2013 at 09:52 PM.
ChipnDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2013, 04:43 AM   #81
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:

Never knew that, thanks. So I'm right-eye dominant. A shame in a way, as the vision in my left eye is a lot stronger.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:49 AM   #82
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDale View Post
Also I never knew Brad Pitt was left handed...
Who cares about Brat Pitt..

Bruce Willis and Robert De Niro are left-handed.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #83
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:

Interesting!

It turns out I am left-eye dominant.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #84
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:

Doesn't work for us one eyed folks. but then we know which eye is dominant. The one that works!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #85
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Hmmmm. `Twould appear that the President is left eyed.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #86
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
What about Jake Gyllenhaal? I know someone that looks exactly like Gyllenhaal.. Just wondering..
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #87
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I see it just the other way... (of course.) But that's because I'm left-handed.

I believe there is a dominant side, but that we do cater to it as well. No doubt that we ignore training the other hand in most usual activities, the fact remains that we have a definite dominance in hand, eye, and foot, as well as a different left brain-right brain approach to problem solving.

While we 'can' train the body to work well with both sides, this doesn't negate the overall dominance the body decrees.

This is the source of my confusion.

Stitchawl

I only disagree on the amount of stress that we put on this "dominance." I stated, and accept, there is a "perfence" but not a dominance. I base this on the many posts in this thread, plus all of my life experience elsewhere that tells me that most people do SOME tasks better with their "off hand."

We may default to one or the other, but it is our life of training that side that makes it dominant. That is my personal belief.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #88
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
I only disagree on the amount of stress that we put on this "dominance." I stated, and accept, there is a "perfence" but not a dominance. I base this on the many posts in this thread, plus all of my life experience elsewhere that tells me that most people do SOME tasks better with their "off hand."

We may default to one or the other, but it is our life of training that side that makes it dominant. That is my personal belief.
Well; when I learned to write my left hand was taped, so I couldn't write with it. I did all other things with my left hand, even when being told it was not my 'good' hand. Perhaps I'm the exception.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #89
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
No bout adoubt it, I can ONLY use a mouse with my right hand, simply due to training. If I try to use my 'dominatrix' hand, it just doesn't work! I do virtually everything else (other than holding my glass of milk when eating a sandwich) with my left hand.

Training certainly does play a major role in which hand we use. But....

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #90
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I'm fully right handed, except when practicing material arts.

Then I'm equally good (or bad, I leave that open to debate...) both left and right. I can grab, kick, punch and throw both left and right, can wield a quarterstaff and sword (Katana) using left or right grip, and can wield two swords or sticks (if not too heavy) at once. (My avatar on the left was not created out of some random idea )

If I'd take a fork into my left hand, I'd probably stick it into my own eye while eating, and writing with my left hand is a no go. You can't even discern any letters, let alone read stuff.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-02-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote