Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #16
lindaw2396
lindaw2396 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, iPad, Android smartphone, Kindle
Sorry to hear that. One more question then. If I were to copy & paste into UltraEdit which allows that kind of search & replace, will I be able to paste back into Sigil without messing up some characters like quotes, apostrophes, em dashes, etc?
lindaw2396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaw2396 View Post
Sorry to hear that. One more question then. If I were to copy & paste into UltraEdit which allows that kind of search & replace, will I be able to paste back into Sigil without messing up some characters like quotes, apostrophes, em dashes, etc?
If you are working (both) in Code View, I don't see a problem.
In Book View, probably little chance of surviving.

Why not try a Test file and See?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #18
lindaw2396
lindaw2396 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, iPad, Android smartphone, Kindle
Yes!!!! I am definitely a happy camper now!!
lindaw2396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #19
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm am just curious as to in what circumstance the circular replace all would give you problems. if you have already fixed some instances of whatever, then there's no harm in letting fly with a circular replace-all, as it should not find anything that needs fixing before your current position ?

maybe the issue will get revisited one day IF you make a strong case for it - who knows.

I've never had an issue; once I understood that it worked circularly I just accepted that fact and I cannot think of a case where I would "need" it to be non-circular
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #20
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I can think of at least one reason to insert a dialog box at the bottom of the document before circling back around. If I have fixed something up the way I like it, it is readily possible to blow it away with an unintended replace that covers the territory I just worked on, like eliminating spaces. However, since we do have the option of selected files, then this should not be a problem given a little prior thought. There is only so far we can go in protecting ourselves without throwing in unnecessary dialog boxes at the end of the document.

Nothing is foolproof given a sufficient fool and that was me when I was trying to work on formatting and knocked out all the paragraphs in 400 footnotes with a replace all.

The fly in the ointment is that you can not undo a replace all for technical reasons.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #21
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post

The fly in the ointment is that you can not undo a replace all for technical reasons.
all you can do is save before any risky operation, then use quit + discard ( aka quit without saving) , + reload if it all goes pear shaped
Old 12-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #22
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
An option to enable/disable wrap was added for 0.6.0 but pulled as it did not work correctly in all circumstances. We might revisit it, but its still not clear if there is a strong case for it - since you can split files and work on a file at a time.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #23
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
I would like to cast my vote for the ability to search in only one direction -- just down and just up. Of course, if this would present undue technical difficulties or entail too much time to implement, I could understand why the developers would not do it.

I could think of a few instances where I might use this. For example, say all the headlines in a book had the same style -- ie, the "Introduction" ... "Table of Contents" ... the "Foreword" .... plus all the "Chapters XX." But say you want to change just the chapter heads to a different style. Well then you'd only want to do a search-and-replace from the first chapter down and skip all the material preceding Chapter 1. I understand that this probably can be done with some form of regex using the word "Chapter" but regex is hard for a lot of people (including me!) and harder to get right.

I think I would use the options fairly often, if they were there. But, again, if it was technically difficult to implement I can understand leaving it out.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #24
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Say you want to replace text only within the body, but the pattern also appears in the <Head>
Bcause of the circular, you have to step through, rather than replace all from a current (body) mark
Old 12-15-2012, 04:41 AM   #25
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Say you want to replace text only within the body, but the pattern also appears in the <Head>
Bcause of the circular, you have to step through, rather than replace all from a current (body) mark
Copy the head, replace all, paste the head (just a workaround, but better than stepping through)
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:41 AM   #26
cybmole
Wizard

alternatively you can usually make the pattern more specific, by including preceeding or following tags, so that head does not match.

can you give an example of a pattern in both head & body that you could be changing , please

actually , I am confused, because every xhtml file has a head, are you using replace all , but restricted to current file only? if you are only editing a single file, then surely step through is no big deal & is very safe ?
Old 12-15-2012, 06:29 AM   #27
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Copy the head, replace all, paste the head (just a workaround, but better than stepping through)

K.I.S.S.
I should have thought of that.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:35 AM   #28
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
alternatively you can usually make the pattern more specific, by including preceeding or following tags, so that head does not match.

can you give an example of a pattern in both head & body that you could be changing , please

actually , I am confused, because every xhtml file has a head, are you using replace all , but restricted to current file only? if you are only editing a single file, then surely step through is no big deal & is very safe ?
The match hast to be too general, or I would have to write 50 searches to be sure to exclude those I did not want to change.

It was so easy: Open file, scroll to just after the <body> , run the replace all
Old 01-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #29
mibtp
Enthusiast
mibtp began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Cloud
Angry Sigil - won't launch

Hi, I also have Mac OS x 10.6.8 and this version will not launch on my system. There is a slash though the icon.

Any other versions I should look into?

Thanks.
Patrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I have compiled Sigil 0.6.2 for Mac OS X 10.5 and later (64-bit Intel only).

It can be downloaded from my google docs folder here.

It launches on my Mac OS X 10.6.8 system.
mibtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #30
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I would like a "just down" or "just up" option if it's possible.

As an example:
Sometimes the books I edit have different "parts", Part 1, Part 2, etc.

Each Part's chapters restart numbering from chapter 1 instead of being continuous through the whole book.

So when I use a search replace to create an id for the chapter head I begin at the new Part and replace all following chapters with the part number and chapter...then do that again with the next part. so I get id="Ch_1-1", id="Ch_1-2"..., id="Ch_2-1", id="Ch_2-2"...etc. Some of these books have > 100 chapters.

If it circles back and replaces the parts that I've done already then it wastes the effort.

Having said that:
There is probably some more elaborate regex I could create to check for the existence of the "-" in an id, I just haven't figured it out.

Ideally, there would be some process where I could use a counter when replacing, so I could just use id="Ch_1" to id="Ch_100"...does anyone know if there is such a "counter"??

And if there is a counter...can I shoot for the moon and get a function that will insert roman numerals??!!?? (id="Ch_69" title="LXIX")
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote