Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-01-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
rdg_lad
rdg_lad began at the beginning.

Device: none
Feedback on Kindle

Hi friends,

I have just joined this forum and had a brief look on threads.

I am looking to buy e-booker reader and need a bit of advice. I like Kindle but I do not know it supports your own PDFs. I mean, I am under the impression Kindle will only support those e-books which are purchased from Amazon.com. Is that true?

I have got lots of PDF books in my laptop, some of them are scanned PDF converted from hard copies. Does Kindle support your own personal files?

I have mostly noticed people reading plain text, I have not idea how good Kindle are at viewing graphics e.g. diagrams, flow charts, domain models or tables etc.

Please feel free to suggest any other reader than Kindle.

Many thanks,
rdg_lad
rdg_lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
pportnawak
pportnawak began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
i own a kindle touch for around a year now.

i use books sideloaded from anywhere i choose - even made up by me.
With calibre i can convert them to mobi.

If it's a pdf i can read it directly but i'd rather user calibre to convert to a mobi.

for the graphics, in my experience, i found the screen too small to be of any use.
you can perhaps suceed if you have a very good sight.

regards.

Last edited by pportnawak; 11-01-2012 at 11:03 AM.
pportnawak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
You might want to check out this Kindle PDF review.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdg_lad View Post
I am under the impression Kindle will only support those e-books which are purchased from Amazon.com. Is that true?
No, it's not true. The only thing restricted to Amazon is the DRM system.

Non-DRM books in any of the formats the Kindle supports (mobi, pdf, HTML, text, a few others, IIRC) can be read from any source, and most other non-DRMed formats can be easily converted to one of the supported formats by tools like Calibre.

Reading DRMed content from other stores besides Amazon would require stripping the DRM first and then converting.

While the Kindle can read PDFs, I don't think I'd enjoy reading many PDFs on my Kindle.

For text based PDFs, I think the Sony readers probably offer the best experience, though I really don't think any current 6-inch eink reader is going to be that great for PDF, especially graphically-rich ones.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote