Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
japkooo
japkooo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Lightbulb Engineering Thesis, "Readability of text in present eBooks readers""

Hi Everyone!
I'm new on this forum so I will introduce myself in a few words. I'm a student from Poland, this year I am finishing my studies in Polygraphy (printing etc.) on Warsaw University of Technology. I am also writing my engineering thesis semester. I am interested in methods of every kind of digital publications from commercials to mobile apps. My subject sounds: "Readability of text in present eBook readers".
This is how I see it:

Beginning/Theory:
1) About Screens: LCD, eink, oled, Liquavista
2) Fonts used in traditional books
2) Fonts used in eBooks (differences etc.)
4) File formats (advantages and disadvantages) this one supposed to be highly developed
5) Ways to prepare files for eReaders (programs)
6) Here I want to write about 3-5 five readers. They should be popular and different from each other as much as possible. I’ve choose : iPad, one of Kindle eInk, and the third is unknown for now, any ideas?

Middle part/Testing:
1) Here I want to prepare few different tests prepared in different formats and I want people to read it and then count how long it took them to read. Any ideas how else I can measure readability?

Ending/ Conclusion

Also I wanted to ask you, if you guys know a literature which can be helpful in this subject. Even if everything is written in Internet I need some "real" publications.

I am really glad I found you - community and I would really appreciate your help

Thanks,
japko
PS. Sorry for English mistakes it is not perfect yet.
japkooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Try some links here --http://www.stcsig.org/usability/topics/readability.html

On your third e-reader for section 6 I'd suggest a Sony model mostly because they were making E-ink e-readers far before Amazon, or else the Jetbooks because of their different screen type.

Last edited by Penforhire; 10-26-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
If you want to compare different screens, in addition to iPad (backlit LCD) and ordinary Kindle (unlit eInk), perhaps you should also consider Kindle Paperwhite (frontlit eInk), a jetBook Color (unlit colour eInk) or a jetBook (unlit mono LCD)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
japkooo
japkooo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks a lot! This site looks very interesting, topics which are there will be helpful even for more Goggle search. Now I know what to ask for.
Sadly these materials are a little outdated and many of them aren't available any more.
Also thanks for devices propositions, I will look at them closer.
japkooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #5
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Witamy chlebem i sola

You could also consider various applications as "readers" e.g Kindle for PC, Kobo for Android etc.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert