Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
Touch reader for left handed people?

So, being left handed, I was horrified by the new kindle. I could only read books backwards, while holding the reader the way I hold books and other readers for almost 20 Years now....

I think the nooks are just as unfriendly on the touch side, but have hardware buttons, which compensate a lot.

Am I missing some cool left-hand-friendly touch readers?
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
What hand do you actually hold your reader in?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #3
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
What hand do you actually hold your reader in?
In the left hand.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I am right handed, but habitually hold my Sony 650 in my left hand and find that I can easily page forwards and backwards using the hardware buttons, if that helps.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
LCF
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I am right handed, but habitually hold my Sony 650 in my left hand and find that I can easily page forwards and backwards using the hardware buttons, if that helps.
Exactly. Kindle touch has no hardware buttons and no option to touch the left side of the screen for page forward. Nook touch has no option too, BUT has hardware buttons.

Which left me wondering, how the hell are people holding a touch only reader in the left hand supposed to turn pages forward with the holding (left) hand?!
Advert
Old 08-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I hold my Kindle Touch & Sony T1 in my left hand & easily turn pages. My thumb goes out over & toward the middle as I tap the kindle touch, and my hands are on the small side (all you have to do is tap toward the middle of the page). Same with the Sony. I swipe at an angle to the left with my thumb. My sister is left handed & has had no difficulty with the Kindle Touch or the Sony 350.

I do not tap or swipe with my fingers. That is awkward for me.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
LCF
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
My thumb goes out over & toward the middle as I tap the kindle touch
I didn't manage that move, but I spent only a few minutes with the Kindle. Anyway, this move is hardly ergonomic, if I understand it correctly.

What my point was, it is *possible* to turn the pages using only the left hand. But it's much harder than with the right hand. Just as if you would use a right-handed mouse with the left one - it's not impossible, it's just very annoying and uncomfortable.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #8
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Agree with Pomtroll, I have pretty small hands but my thumb comfortably reaches almost the middle of the screen so it shouldn't really be an issue? The tap zones on the Kindle means it's only a fairly narrow band on the left of the screen that turns the page back. Obviously you have to take a little more care, but then you have to take a little care to swipe the right way with the Sony (maybe it's just me that keeps doing it the wrong way !).

Quote:
What my point was, it is *possible* to turn the pages using only the left hand. But it's much harder than with the right hand.
It's even harder to turn back a page if you are right handed
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:30 PM   #9
LCF
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Agree with Pomtroll, I have pretty small hands but my thumb comfortably reaches almost the middle of the screen so it shouldn't really be an issue? The tap zones on the Kindle means it's only a fairly narrow band on the left of the screen that turns the page back. Obviously you have to take a little more care, but then you have to take a little care to swipe the right way with the Sony (maybe it's just me that keeps doing it the wrong way !).

It's even harder to turn back a page if you are right handed
Hmm, I definitely have to try the Kindle again. It felt as if the small left part was stretching over the middle...
Old 08-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #10
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Have a look at the PocketBook Touch (although it may be hard to buy where you live). It has the following tap areas:
- Top left corner: close book
- Top right corner: make a bookmark
- Centre: open reading menu
- Bottom left corner and bottom right corner: previous page
- Rest of the screen: next page

Paging back and forth is very easy with either hand. In addition to using these tap areas, you can also slide back or forward, and you can use the physical paging keys.

Last edited by Zetmolm; 08-15-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:34 AM   #11
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPhone 6, Kobo Clara
I've had my Nook Touch for more than a year and the buttons are still stiff from lack of use. I have had a touch-screen phone for a looong time and I always feel like a cramp is coming on in my hands if I have to exert that bit of energy to press an actual button on the phone or Nook.

I'm right-handed but when I'm reading I'll use my left hand sometimes. The Nook is nested in the palm of my hand, and I just reach my thumb across the screen and swipe to move forward. If it's in my right I just tap the right side of the screen with my finger. Neither is a problem.
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:08 AM   #12
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
I use a rooted nook touch and coolreader for reading. With coolreader I can define different areas to do what I want. So I can set what ever I like. It should be possible to do the same with Sony TRS1. But mostly I just disable the touch screen as I prefer to use the buttons and it stops accidental touches. I can remove the specs of dust etc without changing or loosing my place. Which as a former Hanlin V3 user I am in the habit of doing
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #13
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCF View Post
Which left me wondering, how the hell are people holding a touch only reader in the left hand supposed to turn pages forward with the holding (left) hand?!
My PRS-350 does have hardware buttons but they're so stiff that I don't ever use them. I use PRS+ custom firmware on the 350 which allows me to assign the tap functions. I changed the settings on mine so all taps are for next page. If I need to go to a previous page (quite rare), then I just use swipe.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #14
LCF
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
I use a rooted nook touch and coolreader for reading. With coolreader I can define different areas to do what I want. So I can set what ever I like. It should be possible to do the same with Sony TRS1. But mostly I just disable the touch screen as I prefer to use the buttons and it stops accidental touches. I can remove the specs of dust etc without changing or loosing my place. Which as a former Hanlin V3 user I am in the habit of doing

The rooted nook sounds quite nice. I also read using coolreader (still on V3) and I really like the options it has and the way it renders pages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
My PRS-350 does have hardware buttons but they're so stiff that I don't ever use them. I use PRS+ custom firmware on the 350 which allows me to assign the tap functions. I changed the settings on mine so all taps are for next page. If I need to go to a previous page (quite rare), then I just use swipe.
Thanks for the tip!
Old 08-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sony Readers allow you to change the direction of the swipe so you cn set it to swipe left to right for left handed use.

So the solution to your problem is a Sony PRS-T2.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote