Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-12-2012, 04:38 AM   #1
Alan Newson
Alan Newson began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
iBooks cropping text top and bottom

I'm trying to figure out why my ePub is having the first and last lines of text cropped horizontally in iBooks. I can see the top half of the last line at the foot of the left hand page, and the bottom of that line appears at the top of the right hand page.

I have used margin-top in an <h3> style, but that was set to 0px as the default <h3> seemed to be adding unwanted space before (above) it.

Has anyone come across this before?
Alan Newson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:13 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Perhaps you should put a small margin in the body.

About the <h3> style, that is logical. All HTML-tags have a default styling. If you don't want that styling, you have to overrule it.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Margins in <body> shouldn't matter, as the are applied to the whole block, not to each "page" (but maybe iBooks does funny things, who knows). The appropriate thing is setting margins in @page.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Correct, but iBooks ignores @page. At least in all the versions I have heard of.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
@page is something I delete when I see. It's akin to the page-template I also delete. Both do similar things that I don't want done.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2012, 08:28 AM   #6
KLUTCH
Enthusiast
KLUTCH began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad, iPhone 4, HTC Desire
Header tags (h1 etc) have a larger 'line-height' than you would expect from a <p> so you will get space above and below the actual x height of the text.

Setting the line-height to 0em will 'solve' this but will stack the text if the line breaks

Example
Code:
<h1 style="line-height:0em;">Derp</h1>
<p>Herp</p>
KLUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote