Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-12-2011, 01:36 AM   #1
Coreman
Coreman began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Blank Screen with Horizontal Lines

My 2 year old PRS-600 has a blank screen with horizontal lines. I've done the following:

1. Fully charge and soft reset (using reset button): No effect, done multiple times. Pressed soft reset for 1 sec several times and then held for ~10 secs for several times.

2. Leave player on for a week to drain battery and then full recharge from wall charger, followed by soft reset: No effect, did it one time

3. Full charge with hard reset (holding left/+ buttons) after restarting the reader: No effect, flashing yellow light tells me it is booting but screen doesn't change. Did this numerous times, including holding the buttons for more than a minute each time.

4. Reader is recognized by Reader Library software and I can open/explore the reader but the screen doesn't change, still blank with horizontal lines in bottom half.

5. Open reader up and disconnected battery for 1 hour then reconnected: No effect, screen didn't change.

6. Disconnected the screen connector cable and reconnected: No effect; did it once

7. Sent email to Sony solutions: No effect, no response.

8. I live in China and they have discontinued sales of all Sony ereaders in Beijing area in favor of the Sony tablet, which I don't want so I am unable to find local replacement.

Any other suggestions on how to reboot my reader that causes the screen to refresh and maybe display properly?

Thanks in advance...I used my reader everyday on my 2 hr commute so I am really in the dumps over this.
Coreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:43 AM   #2
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Can you post a picture of the screen? It may be that the screen is damaged/stopped working, in which case you are out of luck. PRS-600 is a touchscreen, so it must be even more sensitive/fragile than non-touchscreen epaper readers.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2011, 02:03 AM   #3
Coreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
Can you post a picture of the screen? It may be that the screen is damaged/stopped working, in which case you are out of luck. PRS-600 is a touchscreen, so it must be even more sensitive/fragile than non-touchscreen epaper readers.
Picture is attached....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BrokenPRS600.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	78875  
Old 11-12-2011, 02:09 AM   #4
Coreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreman View Post
Picture is attached....
I've attached a smaller file for faster loading...the reader has never been dropped or banged around. It quit working when I went to recharge the battery from USB port on laptop. Something I've done many, many times...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BrokenPRS600 (Large).jpg
Views:	353
Size:	297.7 KB
ID:	78876  
Old 11-12-2011, 04:30 AM   #5
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
Just justifiable guessing:

I think that's no mechanical screen damage but an electronical one. Meaning that (maybe) one of the screen controller chips has gone (mad).

If that do not solve by itself (that can be possible in some cases), I think there is no solution but buying a new one.

A.

Last edited by Analogus; 11-12-2011 at 04:33 AM.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
betoblas
betoblas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi Coreman,
Yesterday, my wife's readear had the same problem. Did you find any answer to the problem?
Regards
Alberto
betoblas is offline   Reply With Quote