Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
travfar
Groupie
travfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: laptop
Early report on the Amazon Kindle, due Nov 2011.

Finally a Kindle thant won't be sandpaper for the eyes. Let's hope the 3G version still has free global internet. And let's pray they have a KSO version.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/09/02/amazon-kindle-tablet/
travfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
250 bucks for a severely gimped tablet is not going to be a big hit. In my opinion.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
Lordblacknail
Zealot
Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2 Oasis Many Fires Galaxy Tab S7 Plus
I agree. People that bought their Kindle to read books will probably not have an interest in a touch screen, plus, like you say, it is gimped.
Lordblacknail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Yup. If they are going to make a Nook Color clone, at least price it less than B&N.

But really, their main competitor (in the downloadable music, movie, books arena) is Apple. A severely gimped tablet, even if they do eventually make a 10" version, is not going to compete. Especially if they price it the same, as this might indicate (since it's priced like the Nook Color, which it is a clone of).
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool enough already!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by travfar View Post
Finally a Kindle thant won't be sandpaper for the eyes. Let's hope the 3G version still has free global internet. And let's pray they have a KSO version.

i personally am getting really tired of your repetitive sniping at the kindle (and other eink devices) with some form of the phrase 'sandpaper for the eyes'. could you please change it to 'sandpaper for my eyes', as for myself and i daresay, most other folks i've run into on these ebook forums, your often repeated phrase would be much more applicable to led/backlit displays. please
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
This is disappointing. I've been waiting on the new touch screen Kindle and now Amazon is going to focus sorely on a 7" tablet?

Looks like Sony will released their T1 just in time. I will be getting one if there is no new Kindle coming out.

I do want an android tablet though but android 2.2? Isn't Nook Color 2.3 now? I may just settle for the Pandigtal Nova for $170 at Best Buy. I'll still wait on more details on the Amazon Kindle Tablet.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:28 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

That was a terribly written article filled with a loft of "I believe"s for someone who claims to have had a hands on experience. I doubt it ever happened or that he knows anything more than anyone else.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
250 bucks for a severely gimped tablet is not going to be a big hit. In my opinion.
If it's as easily root-able as the Nook Color is, I imagine it'd do rather fine. But, that's yet to be seen.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:31 PM   #9
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by travfar View Post

Quote:
Overall, the UI of this Kindle felt very responsive. You can flick through the carousel seamlessly. This is something Amazon has apparently been working on quite a bit, I'm told. And they continue to. Some of the page-turning touch mechanics still needed a bit of work in the version I used.
I couldn't care less whether it has some whizzy carousel interface, but if page turning isn't at least as easy, responsive, and reliable as existing Kindles, I'm not interested enough in color and video to put up with flakey page turning and having to recharge every day.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:37 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
If it's as easily root-able as the Nook Color is, I imagine it'd do rather fine. But, that's yet to be seen.
I just read an article on it that says the android version is prior to 2.2!

It says it's a whole new O/S built off of android not a water down version like the Nook Color.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:46 PM   #11
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
You're wrong. People will buy this.
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #12
JainaSJedi
Enthusiast
JainaSJedi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Interesting article. I was already interested in the Amazon Tablet, and especially after the TouchPad fire sale. However, I'm not interested in a gimpy version of Android with only 6GB of storage. would love a 7" tablet, but it needs to function like a tablet (video chat, games, music, movies, books, etc..).

Too bad I missed out on the TouchPad fire sale. That incident showed that people do want quality tablets, but not at high prices. A $250 tablet running an old version of Android without all the bells and whistles of an ipad isn't going to be that competitive in a market overrun by mediocre Android tablets.
JainaSJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:01 PM   #13
JainaSJedi
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post
You're wrong. People will buy this.
Why? What's the big pull for this device?
Old 09-02-2011, 08:01 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JainaSJedi View Post
Why? What's the big pull for this device?
Color
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:13 PM   #15
JainaSJedi
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Color

How well has the Nook color sold? The Amazon tablet would definitely compete with the Nook color, but I'm happy with my Kindle and it's free international 3G . I was just hoping that the Amazon tablet would have more storage space so I could ditch my ipod touch (itunes sucks).