Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-30-2010, 11:16 PM   #1
icewyche
Dark Queen of Bibliomanes
icewyche has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-650
Made my own PRS-650 cover!

I saw a few great ideas on this forum, so I decided to create my own cover for my 650. I had a coupon for Borders, so I chose a French Ornate Midi by Paperblanks.

The original journal. I cut out the pages at the edges of the front and back covers and removed the "memento pouch" at the back.

After evisceration. To make the lining, I used "microsuede" fabric purchased from a local fabric store and 4 strips of 1/2" wide elastic. A product called "UGlue" (basically that rubbery stuff that holds inserts in magazines) was used to tack down the elastic after I got it positioned, and I glued the fabric to the backing using "Mighty Gemit" although any fairly thick fabric glue designed for embellishments should work. Just make sure that you have everything positioned exactly how you want it and that the cover will close before you glue anything - my first attempt used a layer of felt under the fabric for extra padding, but it was too bulky and the cover wouldn't close, so I had to (carefully) take everything out and start over.

Lining and elastic in place. I don't like the 650's stylus, so I've been using the one from my old Palm Tungsten. To make the stylus pocket, I just took a small strip of material and ironed it to form a little tube, then glued it into the spine. After everything was glued and UGlued, I weighted it down with several large books and let it dry for a few hours.

My 650 in its new cover! Yes, there were a few stray glue smears, but it helps to wipe away any excess around the edges with a cotton swab.

The finished project. The journal has a magnetic closure which I'm not terribly fond of, but I couldn't get it out without destroying the cover; it's not a very strong magnet, though, so I guess I can deal with it.
icewyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:34 PM   #2
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
That looks fantastic! Great job.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2010, 12:25 AM   #3
ebooker
Banned
ebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: sony prs-650!
wow, thats spectacular looking!
ebooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:40 AM   #4
K8Ereader
Connoisseur
K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
How clever!
K8Ereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:26 AM   #5
pikelet
girl from oz
pikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-300, Cybook Gen3
Lovely!
pikelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2010, 07:55 AM   #6
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
That looks amazing ! I wish I was that creative. I'm still contemplating buying an oberon journal cover and transforming it into a case for my Sony. But i just know that me + superglue + sharp knife = disaster.
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:23 PM   #7
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Great job!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:05 PM   #8
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Looks fantastic! Excellent job! Very creative.
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:43 PM   #9
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Looking good

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:34 PM   #10
koadic
koadic doesn't litterkoadic doesn't litter

Device: prs-650
I am actually planning on giving a 650 to my grandmother for christmas, and when I saw this, I was intrigued. I just may do the same thing, but with a different cover style. I know you say your not particularly fond of the magnetic flap, but thats one of the things I am looking for in a cover, so that stlye will work perfectly for me.

For anyone else who may want to do this, there are many more styles on the paperblanks.com website. (link filtered for the 5x7 covers with a magnetic flap)

I personally am fond of a very simple look like this one. (hint, find the one you like on the paperblanks site, then search for the isbn number on amazon (or other site) to buy)
koadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:30 PM   #11
dminoz
Enthusiast
dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Hey, that's almost a steampunk aesthetic. Nice work :-)
dminoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:53 PM   #12
Traecer Prime
Connoisseur
Traecer Prime began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminoz View Post
Hey, that's almost a steampunk aesthetic. Nice work :-)
I thought the same. Definitely a creative idea with a very unique look. Great job!
Traecer Prime is offline   Reply With Quote