Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-19-2010, 01:55 PM   #1
slow1234
Enthusiast
slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
natural spectrum book lights - Sony Reader compatible

Hi,

Does anyone have any suggestions for a natural spectrum book light that would work well with a Sony Reader? The LED book lights tend to give me eye strain.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
slow
slow1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
Romiman
Connoisseur
Romiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS-350
Its a difficult issue.
All booklights, I´ve seen until now, have this strong cool bluish white light.
So the once possibility in my opinion is, to take a soldering iron and changing it!

Indeed there are so called "warm white" LEDs. The lighting color of them is very similar to halogen bulbs. (only the color, not the power!).
And from most cool white LED types there are warm white versions too. Also the have the same specifications (Voltage, current) like their cold white brothers. (The Lighting power is a little bit down in comparison to the cold ones, but it should be enough.)

So they just have to be exchanged.
I have built a pocket torch at myself, fired by a warm white LED, and I also have exchanged 2 green LEDs of my keyboard into a white one (for Num Lock) and a red one (for Camps Lock). Successfully, of course.
If you can´t solder, ask somebody of your friends, neighbours or colleagues.

Last edited by Romiman; 09-19-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Romiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
Does just the combo of eReader and LED light make your eyes uncomfortable? Or does reading, say, the newspaper have negative effects? Or working at your computer?

My eyes are only getting older ... and a recent visit to my eye doctor "cured" me of strain "problems" with a very minor prescription for reading glasses. So, if more than one "reading environment" gives you headaches or eyestrain, please consider an eye exam or checkup!
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:46 PM   #4
slow1234
Enthusiast
slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
Does just the combo of eReader and LED light make your eyes uncomfortable? Or does reading, say, the newspaper have negative effects? Or working at your computer?
It's mostly the colour of the light. I have a 2LED Mighty Bright book lite that is very white in colour. I almost feel like I'm getting going to get a headache as soon as I turn it on. I don't experience the same problems with my incandescent night stand light though. However, my wife is kept awake by the night stand light so I need something that doesn't light up the room as much.

I haven't actually received my Sony Reader yet. It's on order - I'm excited to get it! I was going to check out the Sony cover that comes with the light built in. If it's not too bright, I might buy one.

Mighty Bright still makes an incandescent book light - I might check that out too.

After a bit of online research, it looks like a book light with a CCFL bulb could also be suitable. However, all the places I've found online say they're out of stock suggesting that they're not made any more. I'll keep digging.

As far as installing different bulbs via soldering/etc., that's a bit beyond my skill-set! Thanks for the idea though - I'll keep it in mind.

Thanks,
slow
Old 09-20-2010, 10:42 AM   #5
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
I understand how you feel about the LED book lights. I bought a Mighty Bright, and had to pass it onto my son. I use an old Itty Bitty Book Light. It produces more head than an LED, but no headache is worth it!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2010, 01:20 PM   #6
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I found the clip-on lights with the light on a spring arm to be problematic - they also gave me a headache from the "hotspot" they created.

I've had much better results with the eBook-Lite. The light shines down perpendicular to the device, so there is no hotspot glaring back into my eyes (link with details in my signature).

The Kandle and Solis also have a similar method of lighting the "page" but use a different clip. I'm not sure if the Solis will fit a Sony, but the Kandle and eBook-Lite should fit.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:16 PM   #7
slow1234
Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestions! I just got my 650 this morning - I picked up one of the Sony cases with the light built it. I checked it in the store and it's quite a bit dimmer than my Mighty Bright light. If it does start giving me hints of a headache, I'll start looking at the suggested alternatives.

slow
Old 09-22-2010, 01:50 PM   #8
slow1234
Enthusiast

After playing around with the PRS-650 and the Sony cover with bulit in light, I'm pretty happy. The light certainly doesn't have a natural spectrum, but it is not too bright. It puts out enough light, even on the low setting, to read comfortably with no sign of headaches for me (granted I didn't get a chance to read for very long - it was a present for my wife)! My wife read for 3 hours straight (with the rest of the room dark) and she didn't suffer any eye strain.

I'm curious to see how long the cover/light lasts though. The mechanism to turn the light on/off appears to be relatively fragile. The rest of the cover/light seems well enough made though.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:05 PM   #9
jjw
jjw for a long time would go to bed early.jjw for a long time would go to bed early.jjw for a long time would go to bed early.jjw for a long time would go to bed early.jjw for a long time would go to bed early.jjw for a long time would go to bed early.jjw for a long time would go to bed early.jjw for a long time would go to bed early.jjw for a long time would go to bed early.jjw for a long time would go to bed early.jjw for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Iphone, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow1234 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! I just got my 650 this morning - I picked up one of the Sony cases with the light built it. I checked it in the store and it's quite a bit dimmer than my Mighty Bright light. If it does start giving me hints of a headache, I'll start looking at the suggested alternatives.

slow
I got a Mighty Bright since the Sony store where I am hasn't gotten their stock of the light cover yet.
Do you think the cover is worth it?
I only really bought the clip-on light as a temporary solution and i'm not sure i like the blueish light it gives off, is the Sony one less harsh or just dimmer?
jjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:12 PM   #10
slow1234
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjw View Post
i'm not sure i like the blueish light it gives off, is the Sony one less harsh or just dimmer?
I would say that the Sony light is similar in colour to my Mighty Bright - i.e., cold white LED light. However, the Sony light is far less bright and doesn't feel like it's going to give me a headache like the Might Bright does.

If I have to say anything else about the Sony cover/light is that it's certainly pricey. If I had bought a stand alone cover and a clip on light, I probably could ahve spent a bit less money. I wanted to get my wife the complete package - so went with the Sony cover.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:28 AM   #11
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Sometimes simple is best. I rarely find myself needing a light for my JBL so, rather than get a dedicated e-book reader, I just use either the little LED 3-AAA flashlight i carry in my purse or the LED on the magnifier I also carry in my purse (also uses 3-AAAs but isn't as bright). I also have the same kind of flashlight in easy reach of my bed in case of a power outage and have used it a couple of times to read when the power went out.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:31 PM   #12
jotekman
Enthusiast
jotekman is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-300
If I may offer a suggestion here, having worked in the movie industry for a number of years now, I have a slightly different approach you might take. Speaking of changing the color of the light, instead of getting a new booklight, have you thought about trying a light gel? Which is to say, the transparent colored pieces of plastic that movie people use to put in front of lights to make different colors? I am sure you could get them at a hobby store, or even perhaps an office supply store. You could try to find mostly transparent ones with just a little bit of color, cut a small square and tape over the light source. That way, you spend next to nothing and you can absolutely control the color of the light to your liking......
Just a thought.
jotekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:04 PM   #13
slow1234
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotekman View Post
have you thought about trying a light gel?
I hadn't thought of that. It's a really good idea though! I'll definitely be looking into it...

Cheers,
slow