Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-13-2010, 02:38 PM   #16
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I prefer ebooks, even library versions. I usually reserve both an ebook version and a pbook version, and read whichever comes first. But if I don't reserve the book right away, the pbook version is kinda gross. I'm sure it was always like that, but now I have my pristine little ereader, with my pristine skin - you just can't beat that. And the convenience, compared with lugging around a pbook, say Stephen King's latest, is fantastic. I just throw my kindle (in its protective case) into my briefcase, or purse or knitting bag. Yesterday, I was waiting for a friend who was coming in on the train. I was sitting in the car, it was raining, and I was looking around for an umbrella. Found the umbrella, and also my kindle! I guess the train was 15 minutes late, but I didn't mind.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:03 PM   #17
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
I continue to be thrilled, among other reasons, over the fact that I can replace the 10# (more or less) copy of Bulfinch's Mythologies I was lugging around, replace it with a Freakin' Library weighing less than one pound. (Please, pardon my language. I'm an emotional guy.)
Now I can read Bulfinch, C.H. Spurgeon, Jerome K. Jerome, Dale Carnagie, James Allen, The Bible, The US Constitution, John Buchan, Paul Laurence Dunbar, Lewis Carroll, C. S. Lewis, Naomi Kramer, Simon Haynes, or whomever my little (mildly) ADD heart desires at a moment's notice.

And, yes, I do make frequent use of the larger type settings on my nook. That is much more difficult with literature printed on processed dead trees.
Edit I love your Kindle skin, Sydney's Mom! Where did you get it?

Last edited by Poppa1956; 06-13-2010 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Ooh! Shiny!
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #18
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
In answer to a question earlier, I have a Kobo. It fits very neatly in one hand (I have the advantage of being right-handed--they should market a model for lefties!) and I love being able to enlarge the type with a single click when my eyes are tired or light is low.

It has its flaws, well documented on this forum, but I'm pretty impressed by it for a first-generation device. Buying, downloading and syncing is hardly the easy "iTunes" experience, but I hope that gets better.

I'm reading the free version of Dracula. I have at least two print versions that have never appealed to me, but now I'm discovering that it's quite a terrific book. (Duh.)
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:19 PM   #19
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
That feeling will actually grow the longer you do it.

I've gotten so I don't even want to touch a paper book anymore.
I'm with you, GhostHawk. This e-reading is spoiling me. And, my thumb is thrilled - as it used to get so sore holding open a book...

Happy reading.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:41 PM   #20
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
In answer to a question earlier, I have a Kobo.
Don't forget to update your device profile!

One and a half years later and I hate the thought of going back to reading a paper book and get really frustrated when I need a book that isn't available as an ebook or in a format I need!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:41 AM   #21
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
One and a half years later and I hate the thought of going back to reading a paper book and get really frustrated when I need a book that isn't available as an ebook or in a format I need!
Can't you just change the format using Calibre? That seems to work for my Sony.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:43 AM   #22
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey330 View Post
I'm with you, GhostHawk. This e-reading is spoiling me. And, my thumb is thrilled - as it used to get so sore holding open a book...

Happy reading.

Marilyn

try twitching your wrist to change the page, works a treat on my PB302 .... (mostly)
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:30 AM   #23
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF, PB 360, Jetbook Lite
I've always been a reader, and now I'm getting really spoiled--no more wishing I had the other book I'm reading with me, no more having one arm stretched longer than the other by the weight of the bag to carry all the books I'm reading, getting to choose whatever font, size, etc etc works best for the particular book/reading situation...

And readers just keep getting better and better!
MmavisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:41 PM   #24
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmavisO View Post
I've always been a reader, and now I'm getting really spoiled--no more wishing I had the other book I'm reading with me, no more having one arm stretched longer than the other by the weight of the bag to carry all the books I'm reading, getting to choose whatever font, size, etc etc works best for the particular book/reading situation...

And readers just keep getting better and better!
I remember those days! And am glad they are in the past!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:46 PM   #25
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I find myself reading more as well. 90% of my reading is done via library, but it was sometimes a pain to get there and I was reading less and less. Now with the abundance of free books on the net and Overdrive, I'm reading more and more.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:12 PM   #26
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa1956 View Post
I continue to be thrilled, among other reasons, over the fact that I can replace the 10# (more or less) copy of Bulfinch's Mythologies I was lugging around, replace it with a Freakin' Library weighing less than one pound. (Please, pardon my language. I'm an emotional guy.)
Now I can read Bulfinch, C.H. Spurgeon, Jerome K. Jerome, Dale Carnagie, James Allen, The Bible, The US Constitution, John Buchan, Paul Laurence Dunbar, Lewis Carroll, C. S. Lewis, Naomi Kramer, Simon Haynes, or whomever my little (mildly) ADD heart desires at a moment's notice.

And, yes, I do make frequent use of the larger type settings on my nook. That is much more difficult with literature printed on processed dead trees.
Edit I love your Kindle skin, Sydney's Mom! Where did you get it?
Thanks, I love it, too. Got it at Amazon
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:15 PM   #27
A_J_Lath
Zealot
A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Computer
I'm hearing more and more positive responses about e-readers all the time; for an e-author, it's very heartening to hear. Do not have a reader myself at the moment, but am planning on it - my print library is HUGE, and frankly, I need the space.
A_J_Lath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:19 PM   #28
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_J_Lath View Post
I'm hearing more and more positive responses about e-readers all the time; for an e-author, it's very heartening to hear. Do not have a reader myself at the moment, but am planning on it - my print library is HUGE, and frankly, I need the space.
You really should get one. I've had mine just for one week and I can already tell you I can't ever imagine not having one again. It really is a revolution in the ability to have so many books at your fingers in such a small package.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:24 PM   #29
A_J_Lath
Zealot
A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Computer
^^It'll happen, believe me. There's one already on my xmas list!
A_J_Lath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:28 PM   #30
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
I sell devices and eBooks and still thrill!

Dear All:

I have been selling eBook Reading devices for about two years and we just opened an eBook Store. STILL... the thrill of reading on an eBook Reader is incredible. With a good one you have an E-Ink screen which gets 8,000 pages to a single charge (about three novels), and they are far easier on the eyes with less eye strain.

Then there is the environmental angle: less landfill problem, carry your whole library with you, no Paper Mill Sludge (with 32 known carcinogens), and eBook Reader lights are inexpensive for night reading. Ever try reading a pBook on a beach? The reflection off the white page is atrocious. No such problem with E-Ink eBook Readers.

I am as happy now as when I first saw my first one. My customers rave also about how they love the switch from pBook to eBook. There are many great eBook Readers out there... Astak is just one... but reading any good eBook Reader is a joy!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote