Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-11-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
P.X. Fort
Connoisseur
P.X. Fort doesn't litterP.X. Fort doesn't litter

Device: JetBook Lite; EeePC 1005HA
so torn..The Sony PRS 300 should cost $150 or less

I'm in the market for a reader. I liked the Sony PRS 900 but I think the $399 price is to high for the screen size. The Nook is ok but I don't like the touch interface on the bottom. The Kindle 2 looks a little dated, which brings me to the Kindle DX. The DX screen size something I like but for $489 it too looks dated. I really won't use the keyboard. So the Que is comming but the $649 start price is way out of my reach for a reader in a new market.

So I figure I'll get a basic unit. One that I can pick up at a local store giving me the easy return option.

I turned to the Sony PRS 300 $199 at all the stores local to me. I could order one at B&H photo for $189 no tax no shipping.

BUT When I look at the Sony PRS 300($189) and compare it to the nook($259+6%tax=$274.54) or even a Bookeen Cybook Opus($249) which I could also order from B&H photo tax and shipping free.

I cant help but to think to myself.. for a little more I could get these features or that service...Then I'm back at the beginning again.

The Sony 300 will fill my current ebook reader needs but I just dont think its worth the $190+ considerig all the new toys out.

I wish they would lower the price to $149. Then I wouldn't be typing this I would be reading on my Sony PRS 300 instead

Last edited by P.X. Fort; 01-11-2010 at 12:56 PM.
P.X. Fort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
Spiritwnd
Spiritwnd is on a distinguished road

Device: G1, Pocketbook 301+
If you don't mind the whole "open box" concept.
Best Buy is reselling their returned 'open box' Pockets for $179.
I came across one that was a return where the shrink wrap didn't look like it was broken.
I am not in the market for a pocket so I passed that one by, however you might be as lucky.

-Spirit
Spiritwnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
jmaloney
Connoisseur
jmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader Touch
I haven't ordered from here, but you can get the 300 for $154 + $5 shipping from a seller on Amazon. Check it out. (Scroll down past the "featured sellers".) It says "New", so as far as I know, it's an unopened box. But I should stress again that I haven't bought from them, so I can't vouch for anything. Just alerting you to the price.
jmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwnd View Post
If you don't mind the whole "open box" concept.
Best Buy is reselling their returned 'open box' Pockets for $179.
I came across one that was a return where the shrink wrap didn't look like it was broken.
I am not in the market for a pocket so I passed that one by, however you might be as lucky.

-Spirit
I got lucky, I picked up a NEW unit from the shelf at $179 and I had a $10 coupon. $169 seemed reasonable
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:42 PM   #5
icemncmth
Enthusiast
icemncmth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.icemncmth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.icemncmth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook (dead), Sony PRS-300
I have had a couple of different ereaders....and this is what I tell people about my prs 300.

I paid less than 200 dollars for it and that includes taxes!..Best Buy had an online sale and I picked it up the same day at a local Best Buy. I have around 70 books on it right now and I have more on my computer. I even bought a couple from the Sony store and saved 30 dollars on 2 books! It is small so I carry it with me more places than my friends carry their larger ereadrs.

But if you want to purchase a book without doing much then get a Kendal because it is tried and true. A buddy has a Nook and has had a few issues with it but I am pretty sure that the firmware upgrades will fix that..

Now back to the small Sony. I can see your point about $150 bucks but well that isn't the case. If you read a lot of books and you buy some of them from the local store than you will probably save money. Over the years I have saved more money than any ereading device has cost me. Now add to the fact that I am saving gas and time! I can buy a book online and have it on my ereader in mins.

OK....now back to you. It is a very hard decision to make. The more you read the more options you see and the different formats...etc. Define what you need vs what you want. What type of reading do you do, where do you get most of your books do, you check out books from the library, do you only ready "new" releases, old books...

Define what you need and that will help you the most. In the end I have a prs 300 because it will do what I need and "yes" it would be cool to be able to download a book over the airwaves but to me the cost out ways the needs.

Just my 2 cents
icemncmth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:47 PM   #6
ac4lt
Connoisseur
ac4lt began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
I feel your pain. I'm in something of a similar situation. In my case I ended up ordering a nook. I guess I've got a couple more weeks until it will ship so I could still change my mind.

I eliminated the kindle because of its use of proprietary DRM. Much as I like amazon and have bought many books there, I don't want any one company to have me locked in to their device.

The Sony PRS-300 was too small, the PRS-600 screen annoyed me and the PRS-900 exceeded my price point.

I was intrigued by Plastic Logic's Que but that really exceeded what I was willing to pay, even for a larger format reader. The Irex DR800SG also intrigued but seems to still be vaporware.

I've played with a nook at the store and found it easy to navigate and the recent firmware update helps with the sluggishness. I'm betting they will get the bugs worked out. I've read that future versions of Adobe Digital Editions will support the B&N style epub DRM making B&N ebooks readable on future devices. The 6" screen feels a lot less cramped than the 5" so I ended up in the nook camp.

Hopefully, it will prove to be a good choice for me.
ac4lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:37 PM   #7
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
With the Sony you'd get a device produced by a company who actually have had some years of experience with producing ereader - and it's not their first device of this kind. It would also be the cheapest way to test the waters and find out if an e-ink ereader is for you.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:15 PM   #8
kirbinster
Enthusiast
kirbinster began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook Lite
You might want to take a look at the Ectaco Jetbook Lite. I picked one up for my wife at newegg.com for $119 and it works great. Unlike many readers there is no flashing and long delay when changing pages.
kirbinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:14 PM   #9
Linda!
Enthusiast
Linda! has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Jetbook Lite
I came close to buying a Sony PRS300. I liked the support it had for ebooks available from public libraries online but didnt like that it didnt have a support for an external memory card. In the end I bought the Jetbook Lite like kirbinster did from Newegg. Loved the price of $119. Its still being shipped, maybe it will arrive tomorrow.
Linda! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:11 PM   #10
Kilarney
Connoisseur
Kilarney doesn't litterKilarney doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I have always maintained that the PRS-300 should be $150. For some reason, that price point really works for me.
Kilarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:40 PM   #11
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I'd probably get a PRS-300 if it were $50. Maybe even $70, but it'd be nice to have a cover.

Last edited by LDBoblo; 01-15-2010 at 01:42 PM.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:42 PM   #12
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
I'd probably get a PRS-300 if it were $50.
That's what I was thinking about the Kindle
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #13
Stevo
Stevo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda! View Post
I came close to buying a Sony PRS300. I liked the support it had for ebooks available from public libraries online but didnt like that it didnt have a support for an external memory card. In the end I bought the Jetbook Lite like kirbinster did from Newegg. Loved the price of $119. Its still being shipped, maybe it will arrive tomorrow.
Wow! That's cheap! I wish I would've looked around a little more before I bought my K1 (love it). I was so focused on trying to find a PRS505 that I didn't really look at anything else. Let us know how you like it.
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote