Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-27-2009, 11:34 PM   #31
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
One thing I noticed, after downloading ePubs from both BoB and Shortcovers today. The .acsm files from those two retailers pop up as a download in Firefox and the default is to open them in ADE. The .acsm files from S&S pop up as a download and the default is to open them in Firefox. I have to save them to my desktop to open them in ADE. Maybe there's a mimetype setting or something wrong on their end? I also noticed the .acsm file for all seven of my books has the same file name, even though the contents of each file is different.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:19 PM   #32
trekker99
Enthusiast
trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
Yeah... don't use this, it worked but only as a side effect. S&S is still identifying the problems on their servers, but I can attest that they are very definitely actively and frantically working on it.

By the way once you have them downloaded and working you should be able to copy the files to any computer/device that you have authorized and it should work (as long as the permissions don't limit it to a single device).
Unfortunately, the books I have managed to download so far are limited to viewing on my computer. How on earth am I going to read them on my Sony Reader? =( Is this a problem on their side or a policy issue? I have sent them an email about this.
trekker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:20 PM   #33
trekker99
Enthusiast
trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
One thing I noticed, after downloading ePubs from both BoB and Shortcovers today. The .acsm files from those two retailers pop up as a download in Firefox and the default is to open them in ADE. The .acsm files from S&S pop up as a download and the default is to open them in Firefox. I have to save them to my desktop to open them in ADE. Maybe there's a mimetype setting or something wrong on their end? I also noticed the .acsm file for all seven of my books has the same file name, even though the contents of each file is different.
Mine says digitaleditions.exe for S&S. Oh but it seems I changed it previously. The default is firefox. I am able to download more books now (got quite a few so it will take a while to test all).

Last edited by trekker99; 10-29-2009 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Added firefox part
Old 10-29-2009, 12:27 PM   #34
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekker99 View Post
Unfortunately, the books I have managed to download so far are limited to viewing on my computer. How on earth am I going to read them on my Sony Reader? =( Is this a problem on their side or a policy issue? I have sent them an email about this.
Unfortunately if the distributor (store) that is selling the book to you is limiting it to viewing on a single device you will not be able to view it any place but on the computer that you first saw it on, so you will not be able to transfer it to your Sony Reader.

I would hope that they inform that you are buying content limited to a single device before you purchase it.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:24 AM   #35
jeankap
EReading Gadget Maven
jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: All of 'em.
Quote:
Unfortunately if the distributor (store) that is selling the book to you is limiting it to viewing on a single device you will not be able to view it any place but on the computer that you first saw it on, so you will not be able to transfer it to your Sony Reader.

I would hope that they inform that you are buying content limited to a single device before you purchase it.
The latest from lakebookbegone...

I've now successfully downloaded all but one of the files to ADE. There's no transferring these files to the eReader though. In fact, there's no transferring these files to another PC, even if everything is authorized with ADE. I realize that they are frantically trying to fix the problem, but c'mon, this is not rocket science... After the latest fiasco, I told the support guy that they may as well just give my money back.

-J
jeankap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:10 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I did just manage to download the one that was giving me trouble. But, give how these need fixing (poorly formatted), I might be better off using Calibre to convert them to ePub from the MS Reader files.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:24 PM   #37
jeankap
EReading Gadget Maven
jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I did just manage to download the one that was giving me trouble. But, give how these need fixing (poorly formatted), I might be better off using Calibre to convert them to ePub from the MS Reader files.
Good luck with that. I couldn't get Calibre past the licensing problems.

FWIW, I just received the following from S&S customer support:

"I understand this has been frustrating for you. And I am very sorry that we have not been able to resolve this issue for you. Because of the difficulty, I have issued a refund for your full purchase amount of $24.36. Please allow up to 30 days for this to be fully visible on all of your credit card and/or banking statements."

We have corrected some issues with our eBook service that may have affected this purchase. So if you would like to attempt another purchase of this eBook, I would highly recommend doing a complete uninstall of the Adobe Digital Editions program, deleting any files you have downloaded from us for this purchase, and restarting your computer before purchasing again. Additionally, if you do choose to re-purchase, please let me know so that I can give you a discount code to compensate for the inconvenience."

Again, I’m very sorry that you were not able to download your eBook. Please let me know if you have any other questions."

I feel better about the whole situation now that they have corrected it with a refund. Since my ADE books work from every other place I purchase them from, I'm less inclined to to do a complete uninstall and reinstall of ADE. So S&S has redeemed themselves as far as doing the right thing, but I will continue to purchase books from the tried and true in the future.

-Jean
Old 10-30-2009, 03:35 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'll just strip the DRM and keep what I have.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:36 PM   #39
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
(Re: backups)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
three is best, preferable on different types of storage media.
One type of storage medium is fine, so long as it's hard disk, IMHO. Today's hard disks are so big that the only feasible way (for the home user) to back them up is with other hard disks. I have a couple of external USB hard drives, one connected and one in reserve, and a script which automatically backs up my PC to the connected one every night. Every week I swap the backup one with the reserve one, and put it somewhere safe. That way I have three copies of everything that is over a week old, and two of everything less than a week but more than a day. The data less than a day isn't backed up, but as my main storage is RAID5, it's immune to single-disk failure in any case.

Ebooks are *so* small by today's standards that multiple backups really shouldn't be a problem.

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:29 PM   #40
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I got one of the ones I couldn't download, but no joy on the other two.

I agree that their ePub's appear to be poorly formatted, glad I have my LIT backups.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:49 PM   #41
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeankap View Post
The latest from lakebookbegone...

I've now successfully downloaded all but one of the files to ADE. There's no transferring these files to the eReader though. In fact, there's no transferring these files to another PC, even if everything is authorized with ADE. I realize that they are frantically trying to fix the problem, but c'mon, this is not rocket science... After the latest fiasco, I told the support guy that they may as well just give my money back.

-J

In ADE if you bring up the "Item Info" dialog, then in the permissions section I am guessing it says:
"Allow viewing: on this computer"
instead of
"Allow viewing: on any device"

If it does, then this was a deliberate decision by S&S to limit the content to a single device and not something that's going to be fixed.

If they didn't inform you of the restrictions prior to the sale then asking for a refund certainly seems reasonable to me.

Last edited by Jim Lester; 10-30-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:51 PM   #42
jeankap
EReading Gadget Maven

Quote:
In ADE if you bring up the "Item Info" dialog, then in the permissions section I am guessing it says:
"Allow viewing: on this computer"
instead of
"Allow viewing: on any device"

If it does, then this was a deliberate decision by S&S to limit the content to a single device and not something that's going to be fixed.

If they didn't inform you of the restrictions prior to the sale then asking for a refund certainly seems reasonable to me.
You got it. That's exactly what it says. I don't think this is intentional on S&S's part, though. They were trying to tell me how to put the books on my (non-existent) 505 before they started actually reading my messages, so they were under the impression that I could put these books on my Sony Reader, too - or at least that was implied.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:01 PM   #43
trekker99
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeankap View Post
You got it. That's exactly what it says. I don't think this is intentional on S&S's part, though. They were trying to tell me how to put the books on my (non-existent) 505 before they started actually reading my messages, so they were under the impression that I could put these books on my Sony Reader, too - or at least that was implied.
I think that is the case. I have also emailed them about this, and their initial response was to point me to Adobe's instruction on how to copy books to the Reader. So it sounds like their customer support is under the impression that it could be placed on the Reader. Still waiting for the followup response though.