tinmug began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Question Semantics > Text

I have the following set with Semantics:
  1. Cover
  2. Title Page
  3. Copyright Page
  4. TOC
  5. and Text – where I intend the book to open and revert to when Go To – Beginning is pressed

In Kindle Preview I have had zero luck getting the book to open anywhere but the Title Page (which is the first page of the originating – InDesign – file).

I have checked for duplicate entries in the content.opf file, and the epub gets a clean audit with ePub Checker.

What on earth am I missing?

EDIT: have double-checked – the OPF does list the items outlined above, and from what I can gather in the correct format.

Last edited by tinmug; 02-17-2016 at 11:44 AM.
tinmug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:50 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You'll have to search out the various threads where kindlebook designers are beating their heads against the wall trying to get that feature to a) work consistently, or b) not get changed after uploading to KDP. There's nothing specific to Sigil that can be done about it though. You'll just have to try one of the numerous "this works for me" techniques out there and see if one works for you. Check the kindle formats subforum for ideas. This one was a popular one: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191387

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-17-2016 at 11:54 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:15 PM   #3
tinmug

Thanks DiaDealer, I'll have a sniff around.
It beats me why Amazon would make this process so ... convoluted.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:29 PM   #4
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinmug View Post
Thanks DiaDealer, I'll have a sniff around.
It beats me why Amazon would make this process so ... convoluted.
To be honest, there's a lot of things Amazon / KDP does that I find puzzling as well.

Albert
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:43 PM   #5
tinmug

I have gone from not liking them much to downright avoiding them. ;-)
Old 02-17-2016, 01:36 PM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
@tinmug: If your ePub is an ePub3 book, KindleGen will ignore the guide section and look for the corresponding landmarks section entries.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:41 PM   #7
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
In my experience, it's impossible to set the SRL in the KDP. No matter what you do (and believe me, I have tried every kludge anyone has posted here), it will be over-ridden in the actual publishing workflow -- which is to say, after you've finished messing with the book. Some claim to have broken the cipher, but they never post the secret sauce, or they provide something that I cannot replicate. Amazon seems to want the SRL to be the first page of the main text, and supposedly enforces that desire upon the rest of us, even though it's not always achieved in practice. (The middle of the TOC seems to be a popular place to dump those who try to work around it.)
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:15 PM   #8
tinmug

@Doitsu, @Notjohn
Thanks for your input. I can live with that for now.