Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #61
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I carefully held down the power button on my Kindle Touch for 120 seconds just to be sure -- it shut down after the usual 20 seconds, then did a full boot as soon as I let go.

No different from the usual 20-second procedure, except that it seems you could theoretically keep it off for as long as you continue holding down the power button. But that's not happening.
No, that's not how it works.
It stays off indefinitely after you let go and only boots if you press power again.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #62
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Then there's the hammer method of turning devices off

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #63
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
No, that's not how it works.
It stays off indefinitely after you let go and only boots if you press power again.
I have tried to do this quite a few times over the last several years with my Kindle 2 and never succeeded. It is semi-retired and I hate having to recharge it all the time just because it can not be turned completely off.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #64
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I have tried to do this quite a few times over the last several years with my Kindle 2 and never succeeded. It is semi-retired and I hate having to recharge it all the time just because it can not be turned completely off.
It definitely worked for my K2 until it died and it still works for my mother's KT.
Here is Amazon's official word:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200829000

They claim 20 seconds will suffice but my experience has been that "hold the button until the screen goes blank" is the sure way to go.

Last edited by fjtorres; 12-26-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #65
theinfamousj
Groupie
theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (pink back)
Quote:
FWIW, Kindles *can* be turned off.
(At least up to the KT generation of eink and the 2012 FIREs.)
You press and hold the power button for something like a minute and they totally shut down. When next you turn them on they do a full boot that takes a couple minutes.
The procedure works even (especially) when the system is locked/crashed.

Every small electronic device I've ever seen has a full-off/fresh boot process. Sometimes it's obscure, often it is a pain to engage, but I've yet to see one that doesn't have it.
I came to this thread to say this.

I also wanted to add that perhaps it is just my hands, but I sometimes have trouble not accidentally quick-pressing the power button a second time while I mentally think I am just holding the button down. Doing that undoes the turning off.

I have learned that there can be absolutely no wiggle to the button press. It is not forgiving of wiggle.
theinfamousj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #66
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I have tried many times at random points in time to get it to turn off. It never works, no matter how long I hold it down, I am fairly sure there is no wiggle, it turns off and blanks the screen then immediately reboots. I got the feeling Amazon assumed no one actually wants it to stay off. It never really bothered me, though.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #67
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, you got "blasted" for your "the rules don't apply to ME" attitude. You may think that the rules are stupid, but refusing to obey them until personally instructed to do by the flight attendants is just imposing additional work on people who have better things to do than deal with people who consider that they're "special" and that public announcements don't apply to them.
So if you do not impose extra work it is OK or?

If it is not OK do you have to turn in your neighbor if he does not turn off a Kindle or an iPad?

I felt pretty silly flying a month ago and turning off my iPad since I was the only one doing it. Everybody else near me with iPad just put it away without turning it off.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #68
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I felt pretty silly flying a month ago and turning off my iPad since I was the only one doing it. Everybody else near me with iPad just put it away without turning it off.
...you were sure lucky your plane didn't fall from the sky
Old 12-28-2013, 01:23 AM   #69
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
...you were sure lucky your plane didn't fall from the sky
Yeap. Airplane wings will stop flapping if iPads are left on.

Now please learn some math and physics.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:35 AM   #70
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Yeap. Airplane wings will stop flapping if iPads are left on.

Now please learn some math and physics.
I duz them all the times

Old 12-28-2013, 05:42 AM   #71
Tizzalicious
Connoisseur
Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, iPad 2, iPhone 5
I hope Europe will catch on soon. I was on a KLM flight recently, and I was absolutely not allowed to keep reading. Boo
Tizzalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:21 AM   #72
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I have tried many times at random points in time to get it to turn off. It never works, no matter how long I hold it down, I am fairly sure there is no wiggle, it turns off and blanks the screen then immediately reboots. I got the feeling Amazon assumed no one actually wants it to stay off. It never really bothered me, though.
I just tested this with my Paperwhite and a stopwatch. If I hold the button for 7 seconds, the screen blanks, and it appears to be off. If I then press the button again, it wakes right up and takes me back into my book at the same place it was when I hit the button. If I hold the button for 7 seconds and then close the sleepcover, when I re-open the sleep cover it acts the same as if it had been sleeping.

If I wait, and hold the button for 20 seconds, it reboots as soon as I take my finger off of the button.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:25 AM   #73
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzalicious View Post
I hope Europe will catch on soon. I was on a KLM flight recently, and I was absolutely not allowed to keep reading. Boo
switch to British Airways then
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:26 AM   #74
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
It definitely worked for my K2 until it died and it still works for my mother's KT.
Here is Amazon's official word:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200829000

They claim 20 seconds will suffice but my experience has been that "hold the button until the screen goes blank" is the sure way to go.
The text and the video at your link clearly say that if you hold the button for 20 seconds it will reboot the Kindle.

Quote:
Press and hold, or slide and hold, the Power button for a full 20 seconds until you see your screen go blank and then start up again.
Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #75
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
The text and the video at your link clearly say that if you hold the button for 20 seconds it will reboot the Kindle.

Shari
I know, but the switches (or the firmware) seem to be finicky.
I reported the official line and my experience that Kindles fo have a true off switch, finicky of not.