Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #136
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Bump USBNet to v0.3.N

* Default to the same IP address settings as volumd, to avoid messing with people's existing setup. (It's easily configurable anyway ).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #137
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Bump USBNet to v0.3.N

* Default to the same IP address settings as volumd, to avoid messing with people's existing setup. (It's easily configurable anyway ).
Gracias!
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #138
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The K4 uses the same IP addresses as the K5, and for the same reason. Diags expects the 15 subnet.

The IP collisions for SSH keys really does suck, and my less-than-ideal fix was to symlink the key file on my host PC to /dev/null so it is always detected as a new key. Not painless, but at least it works.

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-21-2012 at 04:46 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #139
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@geekmaster: Well, my hackish workaround is to comment every host keys recorded for the IP of the 'new' device, connect, record the key, disconnect, then uncomment everything. I end up with a shitload of stuff in know_hosts, but it works .
Old 10-21-2012, 05:11 PM   #140
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@geekmaster: Well, my hackish workaround is to comment every host keys recorded for the IP of the 'new' device, connect, record the key, disconnect, then uncomment everything. I end up with a shitload of stuff in know_hosts, but it works .
The easiest "workaround" is to simply use the same host key on all devices
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #141
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@ixtab: Yep, which is why the USBNet hack ships with the exact same keys, always .
Old 10-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #142
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One developer keystore, one SSL host key. Now if we could just enforce that.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #143
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
One developer keystore, one SSL host key. Now if we could just enforce that.
Then we would be up s**t creek if they ever do line a few likely suspects up against a wall okay a blacklist

but yeah it would be neat and tidy.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #144
AdamNJ77
AdamNJ77 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
***DELETE PLEASE***

Last edited by AdamNJ77; 10-22-2012 at 10:06 PM.
AdamNJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #145
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@AdamNJ77: Short answer: No.

Long answer: No, and discussing bypassing something you agreed to (ads) is somwhat frowned upon around here (at the very least, I, personally, won't touch it with a 10-foot pole).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-22-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #146
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
@AdamNJ77: Sign into your Kindle account, pay the "no ads" fee.
If you don't see a way to do that from your account page, contact customer service.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #147
AdamNJ77

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
@AdamNJ77: Sign into your Kindle account, pay the "no ads" fee.
If you don't see a way to do that from your account page, contact customer service.
sorry didn't mean to upset anyone. As I searched the threads removing ads was one of the main features on launchers and talked about quiet freely in other threads. I didn't think a jailbreaking thread would have anything against it since both are extremely frowned upon by Amazon, and jailbreaking goes against the customer agreement I accepted with Amazon also, yet here we all are talking about it

Last edited by AdamNJ77; 10-22-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #148
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNJ77 View Post
sorry didn't mean to upset anyone. As I searched the threads removing ads was one of the main features on launchers and talked about quiet freely in other threads. I didn't think a jailbreaking thread would have anything against it since both are extremely frowned upon by Amazon, and jailbreaking goes against the customer agreement I accepted with Amazon also, yet here we all are talking about it
Yes, MobileRead does have "dark alleyways" where such topics are discussed. But the more responsible members who also happen to be the biggest contributors of well-tested code and documentation tend to discourage such things. The MobileRead site moderators post warnings in such threads, but also do not delete them. However, there are topics (considered illegal) which do get closed and explicit posts removed from those threads.

IMHO, we should be nice to amazon so they will keep creating new toys for us to buy/explore/root/jailbreak/hack...

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-22-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:15 PM   #149
AdamNJ77

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Yes, MobileRead does have "dark alleyways" where such topics are discussed. But the more responsible members who also happen to be the biggest contributors of well-tested code and documentation tend to discourage such things. The MobileRead site moderators are post warnings in such threads, but also do not delete them. However, there are topics (considered illegal) which do get closed and explicit posts removed from those threads.

IMHO, we should be nice to amazon so they will keep creating new toys for us to buy/explore/root/jailbreak/hack...
I'm not sure about dark alleyways, but it's a main feature that's listed and talked about freely in the JBPatch thread. I'll stick over there where I don't have to worry which rules are ok to break and which aren't. Selectively adhering to rules is a bit of a hypocrisy, and not worth worrying about. Thanks for the hack
Old 10-22-2012, 10:59 PM   #150
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNJ77 View Post
I'm not sure about dark alleyways, but it's a main feature that's listed and talked about freely in the JBPatch thread. I'll stick over there where I don't have to worry which rules are ok to break and which aren't. Selectively adhering to rules is a bit of a hypocrisy, and not worth worrying about. Thanks for the hack
Well, yeah, there is a JBPatch for that. Okay, that is a fairly well-lit alleyway, so to speak.

Basically, removing ads is something that you are allowed to discuss to a certain extent, but we do not want to anger amazon so that they lock down the kindles even more. We do not want to get undesired negative attention from them for things posted here.

Selectively adhering to rules is what life is all about, and why you must make your own moral choices. Many rules are there to be enforced only when people get annoying, and if we wish to bend or break those rules we must do so carefully to minimize harm to ourselves and others (including amazon).

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch