Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Replacement KPWs any different?

Has anyone who was sent a replacement KPW due to screen problems received the replacement unit? Was there an improvement? I am curious how much the lighting issues are inherent in the design and how much is just production sloppiness.

I have been looking at the design and feel that putting the LEDs a little further down and placing a small opaque bar between the LED's and the light dispersion membrane could have diffused the light and avoided "hotspots." Only negative would have been a little less maximum brightness.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
ecksor
Enthusiast
ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW
They are out of stock right now. My replacement ordered on October 2 is ETA'd to October 16 - October 26.

I asked the techie to whom my support request was elevated if it was a bug or a feature, at that time he needed more user feedback and couldn't tell.
ecksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

No not yet. They originally said the replacement would ship approximately between October 17-24. I initially had 1-day shipping on the defective unit, but they only gave me 2-day shipping on the replacement. I found out about the 2-day shipping a few hours after talking to CS. I called them again today and asked if they would bump up the shipping to 1-day and asked if there was any way they could get me a replacement before the end of October. The CS rep went off to check and came back with a good deal. They bumped up the shipping to 1-day and upgraded at no cost my PW WiFi only SO to a PW 3G (no SO) in order to ship it sooner. Apparently they have/had some extra ones whereas the WiFi models are on backorder. He wasn't sure of the exact ship date but said, "Our replacement team will e-mail you shortly with details about your replacement Kindle order." He also put that in the email he sent after we talked. So I might still have to wait a while to get a replacement, but at least I got a $80 upgrade at no charge. My attitude is a little better now after hearing that.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
ecksor
Enthusiast
ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Apparently they have/had some extra ones whereas the WiFi models are on backorder. He wasn't sure of the exact ship date but said, "Our replacement team will e-mail you shortly with details about your replacement Kindle order." He also put that in the email he sent after we talked. So I might still have to wait a while to get a replacement, but at least I got a $80 upgrade at no charge. My attitude is a little better now after hearing that.
That means you will get your PW from the same batch, while the new one could be somewhat different. Or not. We'll see.
ecksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Just after posting the above I got the email from the "Kindle Replacement Team" saying I will get my replacement on October 6. I just checked my Amazon account page for orders and they are indeed shipping me a PW 3G model and it is already showing "Shipping Soon" for the status.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecksor View Post
That means you will get your PW from the same batch, while the new one could be somewhat different. Or not. We'll see.
Well I assume all the current units shipped so far were from the same group of first batches. No way to tell how many batches were done to get the initial stockpile, nor how many plants from which these batches came. It is probably a very small percentage of them that are bad and it might not have anything to do with a bad batch per se. It might be a bad shipment of parts that got incorporated into one or more batches. It might be a flaw in the manufacturing process wherein a few units get toasted. Who knows. I hope this one is good. I think the odds are pretty high it will be as most people seem to have received really good units.

EDIT: I'm definitely keeping the defective one until after I get the replacement so I can compare the two. If the replacement is better I'll try to get some good side by side photos. If they are both bad I'll probably send both back and wait for generation 2 or 3. But I'll cross that path when and if I need to. For now I'm thinking positive thoughts about the replacement.

BTW: It is kind of ironic that prior to receiving it, I had named the defective PW Shadowlands. I meant it as a tribute to C. S. Lewis but maybe the PW took it to heart!

Last edited by jswinden; 10-04-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Even Mother Nature occasionally has some Quality Control issues:

I wonder if the replacement was any better?
Old 10-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Even Mother Nature occasionally has some Quality Control issues:

I wonder if the replacement was any better?
They got a cat

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #9
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Just after posting the above I got the email from the "Kindle Replacement Team" saying I will get my replacement on October 6. I just checked my Amazon account page for orders and they are indeed shipping me a PW 3G model and it is already showing "Shipping Soon" for the status.
That's great news! I'll be very curious what the next one is like. Here's hoping it's a good one for you.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote