Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #1
charlesatan
Addict
charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
World Fantasy Award Nominees

via http://www.wfc2012.org/pr-wfawards01.html

Novel
• Those Across the River, Christopher Buehlman (Ace)
• 11/22/63, Stephen King (Scribner; Hodder & Stoughton as 11.22.63)
• A Dance with Dragons, George R.R. Martin (Bantam; Harper Voyager UK)
• Osama, Lavie Tidhar (PS Publishing)
• Among Others, Jo Walton (Tor)

Novella
• "Near Zennor", Elizabeth Hand (A Book of Horrors)
• "A Small Price to Pay for Birdsong", K.J. Parker (Subterranean Winter 2011)
• "Alice Through the Plastic Sheet", Robert Shearman (A Book of Horrors)
• "Rose Street Attractors", Lucius Shepard (Ghosts by Gaslight)
• Silently and Very Fast, Catherynne M. Valente (WSFA Press; Clarkesworld)

Short Fiction
• "X for Demetrious", Steve Duffy (Blood and Other Cravings)
• "Younger Women", Karen Joy Fowler (Subterranean Summer 2011)
• "The Paper Menagerie", Ken Liu (F&SF 3-4/11)
• "A Journey of Only Two Paces", Tim Powers (The Bible Repairman and Other Stories)
• "The Cartographer Wasps and the Anarchist Bees", E. Lily Yu (Clarkesworld 4/11)

Anthology
• Blood and Other Cravings, Ellen Datlow, ed. (Tor)
• A Book of Horrors, Stephen Jones, ed. (Jo Fletcher Books)
• The Thackery T. Lambshead Cabinet of Curiosities, Ann & Jeff VanderMeer, eds. (Harper Voyager US)
• The Weird, Ann & Jeff VanderMeer, eds. (Corvus; Tor, published May 2012)
• Gutshot, Conrad Williams, ed. (PS Publishing)

Collection
• Bluegrass Symphony, Lisa L. Hannett (Ticonderoga)
• Two Worlds and In Between, Caitlín R. Kiernan (Subterranean Press)
• After the Apocalypse, Maureen F. McHugh (Small Beer)
• Mrs Midnight and Other Stories, Reggie Oliver (Tartarus)
• The Bible Repairman and Other Stories, Tim Powers (Tachyon)

Artist
• John Coulthart
• Julie Dillon
• Jon Foster
• Kathleen Jennings
• John Picacio

Special Award Professional
• John Joseph Adams, for editing - anthology and magazine
• Jo Fletcher, for editing - Jo Fletcher Books
• Eric Lane, for publishing in translation - Dedalus books
• Brett Alexander Savory & Sandra Kasturi, for ChiZine Publications
• Jeff VanderMeer & S.J. Chambers, for The Steampunk Bible

Special Award Non-Professional
• Kate Baker, Neil Clarke, Cheryl Morgan & Sean Wallace, for Clarkesworld
• Cat Rambo, for Fantasy
• Raymond Russell & Rosalie Parker, for Tartarus Press
• Charles Tan, for Bibliophile Stalker blog
• Mark Valentine, for Wormwood
charlesatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:17 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Why does that damn wasp and bee thing keep getting nominated. It's okay, but nothing special. It must be the title???
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #3
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Yes, I read that for the Hugos and really didn't get it.

In fact most of the Hugo short fiction was downright poor, I thought. Luckily there was one thing in each category that I kind of liked. It's a shame I don't read any new short fiction. I'm not going to be able to nominate anything better next year.

I must get started on Osama one of these days, too.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Does 11/22/63 really qualify as Fantasy?

And I'm guessing ADwD will undeservedly win Best Novel.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
Neil Clarke
Neil Clarke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil Clarke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil Clarke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil Clarke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil Clarke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil Clarke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil Clarke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil Clarke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil Clarke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil Clarke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil Clarke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Since World Fantasy Awards are picked by a panel of judges, I always find it difficult to guess who will win. This year's judges are: John Berlyne, James P. Blaylock, Stephen Gallagher, Mary Kay Kare and Jacques Post.
Neil Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Clarke View Post
This year's judges are: John Berlyne, James P. Blaylock, Stephen Gallagher, Mary Kay Kare and Jacques Post.
Surely Blaylock's going to go with Powers—unless William Ashbless is a last minute write-in.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Most of those books I've never seen or heard of. Guess I don't hang around with the right Fantasy crowd.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #8
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
Most of those books I've never seen or heard of. Guess I don't hang around with the right Fantasy crowd.
Ha! Ya gotta quit slumming and get with it!
Old 08-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario;2179113
In fact most of the Hugo short fiction was downright poor, I thought. Luckily there was one thing in each category that I kind of liked. It's a shame I don't read any new short fiction. I'm not going to be able to nominate anything better next year.

I must get started on [I
Osama[/I] one of these days, too.
I thought the novella Hugo category was pretty good and the worst novella was better than the best novelette and the best short story.

I also ought to read Osama. It is waiting for me on one of my eInk readers.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #10
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I thought the novella Hugo category was pretty good and the worst novella was better than the best novelette and the best short story.

I also ought to read Osama. It is waiting for me on one of my eInk readers.
I thought Osama was pretty good. Very strange, I didn't like the main character, but it still made turn the pages (or rather click the page forward button).

At the moment, I got stuck concerning my Hugo & Nebula reading. I should perhaps abandon Kiss Me Twice by Mary Robinette Kowal. I just can't seem to get into it and always find excuses to read something else.

I realize that I have actually read three out of five in the novel category of the World Fantasy Award Nominees: Osama, Among Others and A Dance With Dragons. I have heard of the other two, but not read them.

One of the short story nominees was one of my favorites last year: Younger Women by Karen Joy Fowler. Just don't read it if you are a fan of Twilight.

Recently, I finished After the Apocalypse by Maureen McHugh, which was pretty good, too. I have also read about half of the Tim Powers collection, maybe I should dig that one out again and finish it...
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #11
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrella View Post

One of the short story nominees was one of my favorites last year: Younger Women by Karen Joy Fowler. Just don't read it if you are a fan of Twilight.

Oooooh! I'll have to read it then!

http://subterraneanpress.com/magazin...ren_joy_fowler
Old 08-09-2012, 11:30 PM   #12
charlesatan
Addict
charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
Does 11/22/63 really qualify as Fantasy?
Hard to ascertain without proper context, but you think it more belongs to science fiction? Thrillers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
And I'm guessing ADwD will undeservedly win Best Novel.
It's by a panel of judges so I'd probably say unlikely. That might be the most-voted novel but since this is by jury, not a likely guarantee (unlike something like the Hugos).
Old 08-09-2012, 11:30 PM   #13
charlesatan
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Clarke View Post
Since World Fantasy Awards are picked by a panel of judges, I always find it difficult to guess who will win. This year's judges are: John Berlyne, James P. Blaylock, Stephen Gallagher, Mary Kay Kare and Jacques Post.
Congrats! Rooting for you guys and Cat!
Old 08-10-2012, 06:46 AM   #14
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrella View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Thanks Marella for the mention and Kenny for the link (I wouldn't have looked it up myself) - I really enjoyed that!
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #15
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
Thanks Marella for the mention and Kenny for the link (I wouldn't have looked it up myself) - I really enjoyed that!
Sorry for not posting the link. I tend to forget that not everybody knows that all the stories at Subterranean Online are free... I have been hunting for free stories for too long myself, I suppose.

Glad you enjoyed it.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote