Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-23-2022, 03:58 AM   #1
Jones_13
Jones_13 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Keyboard 3
debricking Amazon Kindle Keyboard 3

Hello. I apologize for my English - I use google translate. I'll bring up an old topic - there are a couple of bricks, Amazon Kindle Keyboard 3. I tried to restore them via Kubrick Live CD, but without success. Instead of flashing the main partition for several hours (I tried it on a previously successfully revived Kindle 3), it goes through this stage in a few seconds, while the percentage of the progress bar does not change - 0%. At the output we get a brick without changes. Tried on two Kindle 3 - both times the same result. I tried to restore them via ATK according to the instructions of K3noobdebrickatk - I went through all the main stages of preparation and when I tried to flash I got "Failed to initial flash or Do not support this Flash, please reset the target", the same result on two books. The cord and USB ports are in order - checked. Batteries in both cases were charged during the day. I carefully read several topics from Kindle Developer's Corner and here in this one - Noob's guide to debricking through ATK found a mention of a successful firmware using a hidden reset button - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p= 2284386&postcount=341 But for some reason, no one paid due attention to this message, but meanwhile it is quite logical - ATK reports the need to reboot the device "please reset the target", so we use the reset button. But, unfortunately, there are no buttons soldered on my boards, only signed places for them and a couple more details - a three-legged SMD diode D14 and a resistor R250 according to the designations on the board. Perhaps this reset circuit is not enough for successful firmware when receiving the error "Failed to initial flash or Do not support this Flash, please reset the target". Maybe someone has an old board with soldered parts or a schematic for Kindle Keyboard 3? I need to find out the denominations of the missing parts, install them and continue the restoration experiments - nevertheless, these Kindle Keyboard 3 readers are not bad even now (after installing all the necessary modifications on them, of course). I would appreciate any information and help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2022-06-23_10-33-08.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	266.5 KB
ID:	194497   Click image for larger version

Name:	zdj_cie.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	520.4 KB
ID:	194498   Click image for larger version

Name:	bez*tytu_u.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	194499  
Jones_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 11:16 AM   #2
eddie.t.h
Zealot
eddie.t.h can self-interpret dreams as they happen.eddie.t.h can self-interpret dreams as they happen.eddie.t.h can self-interpret dreams as they happen.eddie.t.h can self-interpret dreams as they happen.eddie.t.h can self-interpret dreams as they happen.eddie.t.h can self-interpret dreams as they happen.eddie.t.h can self-interpret dreams as they happen.eddie.t.h can self-interpret dreams as they happen.eddie.t.h can self-interpret dreams as they happen.eddie.t.h can self-interpret dreams as they happen.eddie.t.h can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Too Much Kindle :-)
From experience, I will tell you that if kubrick does not give advice, it means that you have a hardware glitch.
First, check the battery voltage. K3 does not charge a completely discharged battery. Secondly, check the power switch. Very often the contacts are compact and the reader constantly restarts. The third popular glitch in this model is the cracking of the balls under the processor. Reflow is sufficient in 99% of cases.
eddie.t.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2022, 02:32 AM   #3
Jones_13

The option with a processor dump also seems to me the most probable. The book is not seen as a USB drive. Perhaps this is a typical malfunction of this model. The power switch is OK - when pressed for more than 15 seconds, the orange LED goes out, but the green one does not light up (when the USB charger is connected). I also noticed an interesting thing - I connected the charging via a USB tester and saw that the charge current was less than 50 milliamps ... It is fashionable to charge a discharged battery with such a current for a month and not get a result. Moreover, the charging process is interrupted after a few minutes and is no longer resumed (the book stayed connected all night, and the amount of current shown by the USB tester did not increase). I charged the battery with an external source to a voltage of 3.8 volts, but the behavior of the book did not change - after a few minutes, the charging process with a weak current is still interrupted (this is clearly visible on the tester screen) and the orange LED goes out. Further, the book does not consume anything from charging. If you reconnect the USB cable, everything repeats in the same way. It remains to try to heat the processor with a soldering hot air gun (there is a hot-air soldering station) and check the result. I don't think it will get worse...
Old 06-25-2022, 02:48 AM   #4
Jones_13

By the way, I assembled the missing reset circuit. I reviewed a lot of photos and videos of disassembling this Kindle available on the Internet, and on one video I more or less clearly saw the type of soldered diode on the board with the reset button installed. Just in case, I'll attach screenshots - maybe someone will come in handy. The reset works, you can see it by updating the hardware in Windows Device Manager. But solving the problem with "Failed to initial flash or Do not support this Flash, please reset the target" did not help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smd reset.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	194525   Click image for larger version

Name:	диод цепи сброс.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	194526