Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-27-2018, 10:58 AM   #466
ionontelodico
ionontelodico began at the beginning.

Device: RichardBiavaQZ
Forgive me..i'm here again to know if someone had success installing androir on kobo glo hd... i'm searching around and can't find anything about it...
Can someone give me some instructions (and file ) to try android on kopbo glo hd?
Thanks!
CIAO
ionontelodico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:40 PM   #467
egin
egin began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
is this also possible for the kobo aura one?
egin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2019, 01:45 PM   #468
Johnc1423
Johnc1423 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Has anyone managed to get Ko Reader Working on this version of android? I've tried multiple versions, but they all crash on start.
Johnc1423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:17 PM   #469
chronoreverse
Enthusiast
chronoreverse is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Is it possible to unroot completely? Or start with an unrooted image?

[edit]I figured it out!

Last edited by chronoreverse; 02-18-2019 at 12:09 AM.
chronoreverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:57 AM   #470
rashsaga
rashsaga doesn't litterrashsaga doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo, B&N Nook Simple Touch
On a dual boot setup on Kobo Glo, is anyone else facing this issue that Android stops booting if Kobo OS is updated. Please respond and help.
rashsaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2019, 11:48 AM   #471
chronoreverse
Enthusiast
chronoreverse is on a distinguished road

Device: none
I was definitely having a ton of trouble with the latest Kobo firmware. I went back to 3.x to avoid it.
chronoreverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:49 PM   #472
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashsaga View Post
On a dual boot setup on Kobo Glo, is anyone else facing this issue that Android stops booting if Kobo OS is updated. Please respond and help.
The firmware upgrade writes a kernel and u-boot image into sectors near the start of the card. There is a good chance that this overwrites something the dual boot needs.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 05:32 AM   #473
rashsaga
rashsaga doesn't litterrashsaga doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo, B&N Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The firmware upgrade writes a kernel and u-boot image into sectors near the start of the card. There is a good chance that this overwrites something the dual boot needs.
Thanks for your insight, this might be the reason.

After struggling a lot with this issue, I have now switched to standalone Android.
rashsaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:49 AM   #474
markyisri
Connoisseur
markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
2020: where we stand with Android on Kobos

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeywhite View Post
I am indeed using a Kobo Aura Edition 2. I wonder which eReader this hack originally came from, and if a newer version exists.
2 years late , but hopefully this post will sum things up for any newcomers looking to do this on a modern Kobo e-reader. TL;DR Don't bother.

This was developed for the Mark 4 series of Kobo devices, released circa 2012-2014. These were all fairly similar internally and thus not much work was required to port Android from one to the other. Fast forward half a decade and we have a completely different generation of devices which will most likely need an entirely new port.

The last version of Android that can easily run on a Kobo device (even a modern one) would be version 2.3 as newer versions require some type of accelerated graphics. While Android 2.3 is still a superior OS to the built-in Kobo firmware, very few apps from the last few years will run on it. In 2016 web browsing on Android barely worked on a Kobo Mini and the web has only become more resource-hungry in recent years.

Bottom line: this port of Android is a historical artifact now. If you want to read books and use Android apps, get a cheap Android tablet. If you only care about reading books, stick with the Kobo firmware (and get KOReader if you really want more features, it's maintained and is far less risky to install).

Or, buy a used Kobo Mini/Glo/Touch N905B/C and run Android 2.3 on that. There is probably little to gain from trying to run 2.3 on newer Kobos.
markyisri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:07 AM   #475
Dontag
Dontag began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo N905C
USB keyboard

I have Android installed and working on my Touch N905C.

I was wondering if there is any way to use this with a USB keyboard?
(Physically connected to the usb port)

Or if not, are there any other ways to use an external keyboard? (wifi?)
Dontag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 03:43 PM   #476
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
Any image for the Mini yet?
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 02:22 PM   #477
OneiroDancer
Enthusiast
OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 3, Kobo Clara HD
I'd like to try Android on my Clara HD.

Is there a specific image? Can I try one of the others?
OneiroDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 02:28 PM   #478
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Please read message #474 in this thread.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 03:53 PM   #479
OneiroDancer
Enthusiast
OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 3, Kobo Clara HD
Oh, I see, thank you. I had sarched for "Clara HD" in this thread and found nothing, and I had missed this pretty clear statement. A pity.

Is there any effort going on to port recent versions of Android on moder kobo devices?

In the meantime, I'll try koreader and small hacks to make my reader closer to the features I'd like to have.
OneiroDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 05:17 PM   #480
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I mean, if you *really* want an Android experience on e-Ink (I personally wouldn't, it's terrible, but that's just me), get a Tolino, it's literally the same hardware.

Or, possibly better, get one from the very few vendors that manage to not completely mangle Android and/or eInk in the process. (Android is pain, and I, for one, am glad we're spared it over in Kobo-land).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-21-2021 at 05:19 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote