Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-26-2019, 11:29 AM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
The scroll bar is noticeable skinnier on Windows. Can't recall what it was like before as I never use them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Hovering over the scroll bar should make it get wider, and then you can grab it — except it's finicky in the Preview pane. When I try to grab and move it, it keeps resulting in highlighted text for me. But the scroll bar works fine in Code View and other panes.
I never really noticed until now, but the scrollbar in Preview is much skinnier/smaller than the rest of Sigil's widgets. Seems to be built-in to the new QtWebEngineView. Turns out it can't be styled via Qt stylesheets (.qss) either. If it bothers you enough, you can use the custom user css file (custom_preview_style.css) to style it via the ::-webkit-scrollbar css prefix. None of Sigil's scrollbars are resizable from within the application itself on Windows.

Something like the following should get you in the ballpark in the meantime (and give you an example to work with):

Code:
::-webkit-scrollbar {
  width: 23px;
  height: 23px;
}

::-webkit-scrollbar-track {
  background-color: #E8E8E8;
}

::-webkit-scrollbar-thumb {
  height: 26px;
  background: #C0C0C0; 
}

::-webkit-scrollbar-thumb:hover {
  background: #A9A9A9; 
}
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:32 AM   #17
Fritz571
Fritz571 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Windows 10 Pro
Fritz571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2019, 11:33 AM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From a maximized state, you have to hit the "Restore Down" button on the title bar to resize. Then you can grab the edges to resize. If you can't grab an edge, move Sigil a bit (after restoring down) by dragging the toolbar so one of it's edges becomes available to grab.

It seems to be maximizing just a titch beyond the actual screen-size, but other than that, can't get it to misbehave on Windows or Linux.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-26-2019 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:39 AM   #19
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
You may be able to hand edit your Sigil.ini file with a text editor (carefully) to change the geometry as a last resort.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:42 AM   #20
Fritz571
Fritz571 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I knew that but didn't grab and move Sigil down works fine now Thanks.
Fritz571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2019, 11:49 AM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz571 View Post
I knew that but didn't grab and move Sigil down works fine now Thanks.
I figured you did, but it's better to be thorough than to assume.

Glad you got it working.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:51 PM   #22
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Have a look in CP->Programs and Features, sort on install date to see if Sigil 0.9.14 and C++ 2017 are adjacent - I wish MS would put time that column.
Checked and on 4 installs, Apps and Features shows 8 versions of the C++ (from 2012 to 2017 in a mix of x64 and x86 flavours) all installed at the end of May. So the Sigil installer would not have needed to install the 2017 runtime.

The 5th instance shows them adjacent but no restart was requested. Restored the snapshot and tried again and again no restart. This was the Insider Preview edition which is a bit weird at times.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:09 PM   #23
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
... you can use the custom user css file (custom_preview_style.css) to style it via the ::-webkit-scrollbar css prefix ...
Cool! Thanks! I usually use mouse and keyboard to navigate, but on the occasions when I go to grab the scrollbar, this helps a lot!

Last edited by odamizu; 06-26-2019 at 11:46 PM.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:56 PM   #24
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Seemed to install fine on Windows 10 64

However it seemed to freeze in multiple instances:
1) If I double clicked on an ePub file then I would get a blank preview window and no main window. I had to close out with Sigil showing "Not responding".

2) Same thing if I click on the Sigil icon in the start menu to open without loading a book.

3) If I restart the computer then (using the Start menu icon) I am able to open to Sigil's main window plus a blank preview.

4) I then used the "open" icon to get an ePub file that loaded almost instantly - Yay! - but the preview window was still blank ant the program froze again (not responding).

5) I uninstalled 9.15 and then reinstalled - same issues

UPDATE:

OK, I restarted; opened from the start menu and then deselected the (undocked) preview pane. I was then able to use the main window functionality until I re enabled the preview pane. Then I got the same freezing issues. I uninstalled again and deleted the old sigil preferences folder, restarted again and was able to get everything working without the freezing issues.

Do you think you should force undocked windows back to a default position on install?? Or force the preview window to be deselected on install??

Last edited by Turtle91; 06-26-2019 at 07:23 PM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:23 PM   #25
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For the empty epub load, the default created Section0001.xhtml will show an absolutely blank Preview as it has no visible content.

Could you be launching Sigil with some leftover compatibility settings?

Not sure why it us hanging and not responding. Have to tried exempting it from your virus / defender scans?

I am not seeing this on Linux or Mac? Is anyone else on Windows seeing this?
Old 06-26-2019, 07:37 PM   #26
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Sorry I updated the last post while you were replying.

Here is a different, minor, nit:

The plugin manager button selectors for the first 5 are squished and unreadable until after you add some plugins, then close and reopen the manager.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	172123  
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:40 PM   #27
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Hopefully this commit will take care of any auto-rebooting by the vc++ 2017 redist in future Sigil installers. The Sigil installer may still prompt for a reboot after it completes (if the vc++ redist determines it's necessary), but the user can choose to do so or not at that point.

I'd update the Sigil 0.9.15 beta release with the new installer, but it actually involved a change to Sigil's codebase, so it will have to wait until the next release. Hopefully it won't happen to very many people. Auto-rebooting is the epitome of uncool, and I had no idea their vc++ 2017 redistributable was prone to doing it. My apologies.
Thanks for looking into it, looks like it wasn't a case of 'just me'. Apology not necessary, not even gratefully received It's a beta release.

I'm loathe to retest with the next release as it would mean reverting to 0.9.13, restoring settings, and uninstalling the 2017 VC++ redistributable but ... open to requests

A programmer who used to work for me said of C++, "It's really good at hiding the data, but it's even better at hiding the bugs."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Seemed to install fine on Windows 10 64

However it seemed to freeze in multiple instances:
1) If I double clicked on an ePub file then I would get a blank preview window and no main window. I had to close out with Sigil showing "Not responding".
Did you try using File Explorer Open With. . . Sigil, that works OK for me, I have the calibre viewer as the default for.epub.

Quote:
2) Same thing if I click on the Sigil icon in the start menu to open without loading a book.
Works for me - also works from task bar

Quote:
3) If I restart the computer then (using the Start menu icon) I am able to open to Sigil's main window plus a blank preview.
4) I then used the "open" icon to get an ePub file that loaded almost instantly - Yay! - but the preview window was still blank ant the program froze again (not responding).

5) I uninstalled 9.15 and then reinstalled - same issues
Apart from opening a file instantly, I can't repeat any of that. Try using a vanilla set of preferences and try running in Windows Safe Mode.

Added: I missed your update regarding the PV window, I have it docked to the right, works fine in that config. If I undock it, close Sigil, and restart I have to press F10 to get it back again (that might be my kb shortcut)

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-26-2019 at 07:55 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:39 PM   #28
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Wow it is like the geometry of the Dialogs are all off. Have you tried making the PluginManager Preferences window wider by grabbing the corner and pulling.

Does that help?

The funny part is that code only ever had 5 plugin slots so the whole dialog needs to be wider now to get things to work. Once you adjust the size, and close that window with okay it should remember the new width.

Quote:
Sorry I updated the last post while you were replying.

The plugin manager button selectors for the first 5 are squished and unreadable until after you add some plugins, then close and reopen the manager.

Last edited by KevinH; 06-26-2019 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:45 PM   #29
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No minor nits yet! Didn't you read the 2nd post?
Old 06-26-2019, 08:46 PM   #30
KevinH
Sigil Developer

My guess is new Sigil is reading sizing and positioning from the previous version and some things have changed and now that sizing is too small or not correct in some minor way. Resizing these Windows once should be all you need to fix the layout issues.