Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-13-2020, 12:44 AM   #721
Footnotes
Footnotes began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
So if I have version 4.20 and up, simply setting the dictionaries to read only will make them persist after syncs and updates?
Footnotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 12:46 AM   #722
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footnotes View Post
So if I have version 4.20 and up, simply setting the dictionaries to read only will make them persist after syncs and updates?
Yes, that's correct.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2020, 12:57 AM   #723
Footnotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Yes, that's correct.
That’s great. Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:42 PM   #724
Footnotes

For some reason I am unable to change the permission of the dictionary files under /.kobo/dict (using chmod 444). Using dictutil didn't change the permission either. I am using macOS.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:26 PM   #725
Rojofo
Zealot
Rojofo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi,
I'm in the same situation, using MacOs too. I don't know how to change this permission and clear, precise information on how to do this and which tools to use (software?) would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Rojofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2020, 03:11 PM   #726
Alanon
Connoisseur
Alanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Aura One
I've been in contact with our patching wizard geek1011, there seems to be some underlying issue with the firmware honouring the "read-only" status. He is working on a fix/patch.
Alanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:00 PM   #727
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Does anybody have an English dictionary which combines/merges several English dictionarys into one? I have used a hack that I learned here which is to rename English dictionaries 2 3 4 and 5 into ”English to Portuguese” translation or the ”English to French” or ”English to Italian”. But rather than switching from one English dictionary to another, I prefer to have one comprehensive English dictionary which has the best of all dictionaries in one.

Last edited by droopy; 03-21-2020 at 11:03 PM.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 03:33 AM   #728
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
Does anybody have an English dictionary which combines/merges several English dictionarys into one? I have used a hack that I learned here which is to rename English dictionaries 2 3 4 and 5 into ”English to Portuguese” translation or the ”English to French” or ”English to Italian”. But rather than switching from one English dictionary to another, I prefer to have one comprehensive English dictionary which has the best of all dictionaries in one.
Use dictzip-decompile and dictgen. Combine the dictionaries you need into one.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 12:05 PM   #729
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl_ View Post
I found: 1) a good mobi version of "Wikt + CIDE" without repetitions or problems
and 2) A big and great en-en dictionary. Both of them report even the ancient and rare words. I added them inflections and IPA phonetics.

Here is the link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14pH...ew?usp=sharing

Thanks. This looks like a keeper. I was reading a book where the women were wearing hennins and that wasn't in some of the other dictionaries I tried but this one had it.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 08:19 PM   #730
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Thanks. This looks like a keeper. I was reading a book where the women were wearing hennins and that wasn't in some of the other dictionaries I tried but this one had it.
I very seldom found words not included in it. I like reading and translating without hindrances
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 03:15 PM   #731
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Can someone post the directions on how to convert a Kindle dictionary to a Kobo dictionary? It has to work for Windows.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 02:58 PM   #732
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can someone post the directions on how to convert a Kindle dictionary to a Kobo dictionary? It has to work for Windows.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...71&postcount=7

It works.

Look at the posts below, it says how to convert xdxf => kobo later
Old 04-16-2020, 06:41 PM   #733
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...71&postcount=7

It works.

Look at the posts below, it says how to convert xdxf => kobo later
To add on to this, after you have an xdxf file, convert it using pyglossary, penelope, or something similar into a Kobo dictionary or a Babylon BGL text one (this is probably the least lossy option, as it'll preserve word variants), then use dictutil's dictzip-decompile or bgl-convert to parse it and then use dictutil's dictgen to regenerate it.

Note: If the Kindle dictionary contains images, those will be currently be lost, but you can add them back manually (I haven't seen any conversion tool which supports it).

Last edited by geek1011; 04-16-2020 at 06:47 PM.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 02:17 AM   #734
shakidona
shakidona began at the beginning.

Good day to everybody!

May I ask to convert a dictionary for my Kobo Aura HD.
Russian- Spanish ?
Dictionaries attached
Attached Files
File Type: rar multitran_rues_15.rar (6.24 MB, 155 views)
File Type: rar multitran_esru_15.rar (6.22 MB, 158 views)
shakidona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 04:18 AM   #735
Semwize
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakidona View Post
Good day to everybody!

May I ask to convert a dictionary for my Kobo Aura HD.
Russian- Spanish ?
Dictionaries attached
try

dicthtml-es-ru.zip
dicthtml-ru-es.zip
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
dictzip-decompile
Look at the dictionaries in the attachment. Alas, there will be a mistake (we have already discussed this)
Code:
Error: decompile dictzip "dicthtml-ru-es.zip": process dicthtml "11.html"

Tags
kobo dictionaries