Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-19-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook One, PocketBook 360, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Unable Reflash Firmware

Although my new 360 came loaded with the latest firmware, my playing around with it disorganized it somewhat, though it's still functioning fine, and I thought it would be nice to start from scratch by reflashing the firmware.

I'm an old hand at reflashing the many different firmware versions available for the BeBook One, where the flashing process is similar though not entirely identical to that for the 360.

I've read the many varied instructions for flashing the 360 firmware, which are not entirely in agreement with each other. One says you can download the firmware update and put it in EITHER the main memory or the SD card, and another specifies the SD card only. Anyway, I downloaded and extracted the bin file, and tried reflashing successively from the SD card and the main memory. Neither worked. (And pressing three buttons simultaneously was no fun. The BeBook requires pressing only two buttons simultaneously) I even removed all the titles I had on the SD card and reformatted it, so it was "virgin" when I put the bin file on it. Anyway, nothing worked. Now, with the BeBook some instructions require that you only use a one gig SD card, but I see no similar limitations in the PocketBook instructions. The micro SD card I am employing is an eight gig SDHC card. Is that perhaps my problem? It works fine containing my book titles. Anyway, I've tried various methods again and again with no success. Anyone out there have any further advice for me?
ascherjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
this is the correct procedure.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62973

did you use this procedure?
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 12:56 AM   #3
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
this is the correct procedure.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62973

did you use this procedure?
That was in fact the main procedure I frequently attempted. However, no "Firmware update" message ever appeared; the device only reverted to the opening screen and menu each time.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:38 AM   #4
Marshal Kilgore
Enthusiast
Marshal Kilgore knows the complete value of PI to the endMarshal Kilgore knows the complete value of PI to the endMarshal Kilgore knows the complete value of PI to the endMarshal Kilgore knows the complete value of PI to the endMarshal Kilgore knows the complete value of PI to the endMarshal Kilgore knows the complete value of PI to the endMarshal Kilgore knows the complete value of PI to the endMarshal Kilgore knows the complete value of PI to the endMarshal Kilgore knows the complete value of PI to the endMarshal Kilgore knows the complete value of PI to the endMarshal Kilgore knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: PocketBook 631
Exclamation

You can do a firmware update from the internal memory, but it is regarded safer and thus recommended to use an extra card.

To restore the delivery status of the "Mighty Mouse", you should do a hardware reset as described here. Worked fine for me.
Marshal Kilgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:55 AM   #5
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
well... if it doesn't work, than something is wrong...))

- there should be only one file on the memory card - your .bin file
- again, please follow the instructions, that are sticky posted on this forum...
- I noticed that you say "holding three buttons"... but actually, you need to hold TWO buttons, while the third one, power, has to be pressed rather shortly, about 3 sec, just to turn the device on;
- is your device connected to the power supply while you're trying to upgrade?
- in general, when you press central button and the forward flip button and turn the device on, the screen ALWAYS says "Firmware Upgrade" and starts looking for the file. Even if you don't have an upgrade file on the card or even the card is not inserted, it does start looking for it.
- very often, when you don't hold those two buttons firmly and steadily enough, the device just turns on and does not look for the firmware upgrade. Or if one of the "up-down-left-right" buttons are accidentally pressed during holding the central key...
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 09:54 AM   #6
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal Kilgore View Post
You can do a firmware update from the internal memory, but it is regarded safer and thus recommended to use an extra card.

To restore the delivery status of the "Mighty Mouse", you should do a hardware reset as described here. Worked fine for me.
Hardware reset instructions you referred me to are a little confusing. It says to "switch device." I assume this means to switch the device OFF.

It says something about waiting 10 minutes. Do I wait 10 minutes while HOLDING the buttons down?
Old 01-20-2010, 09:56 AM   #7
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-PocketBooker View Post
well... if it doesn't work, than something is wrong...))

- there should be only one file on the memory card - your .bin file
- again, please follow the instructions, that are sticky posted on this forum...
- I noticed that you say "holding three buttons"... but actually, you need to hold TWO buttons, while the third one, power, has to be pressed rather shortly, about 3 sec, just to turn the device on;
- is your device connected to the power supply while you're trying to upgrade?
- in general, when you press central button and the forward flip button and turn the device on, the screen ALWAYS says "Firmware Upgrade" and starts looking for the file. Even if you don't have an upgrade file on the card or even the card is not inserted, it does start looking for it.
- very often, when you don't hold those two buttons firmly and steadily enough, the device just turns on and does not look for the firmware upgrade. Or if one of the "up-down-left-right" buttons are accidentally pressed during holding the central key...
Still, following your instructions precisely, I cannot get a "Firmware Upgrade" to appear on the screen. The main logo and menu shows up every time.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #8
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
Still, following your instructions precisely, I cannot get a "Firmware Upgrade" to appear on the screen. The main logo and menu shows up every time.
SUCCESS! I finally got the update to work -- and I'll relate how (and why) in case anyone else requires further clarification.

First, and this may not be significant: I DID NOT plug the USB cable into a power source before I began. I turned off the device and then pressed the necessary buttons.

Second, and this may be the real key, no matter whether the USB cable was plugged into a power source or not: After pushing the buttons, the usual opening logo appeared, at which point I previously had released the keys believing that the upgrade had failed as the "Firmware Upgrade" notice had not appeared. What I had apparently not realized from the instructions was that you had to CONTINUE holding down the buttons AFTER the logo had appeared, then shortly the logo disappeared and the "Firmware Upgrade" notification appeared. As I had not, in this particular case, had the USB cable plugged into a power source, the notification instructions then told me to do so.

I think it might be useful to add to the official instructions that after pressing the buttons the usual logo screen will still appear anyway but that one needs to continue holding the buttons down until that screen disappears and the update screen appears.

Anyway, thanks to all for their advice.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:33 PM   #9
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
You're right! This needs to be added, I'll add this part about "Firmware Upgrade" words appearing AFTER the logo appears!
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote