Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-17-2019, 04:41 PM   #46
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
My Kobo devices page displays looks like... 'Page 24 of 127'. I have never wanted to change it to anything else, because it is the obvious best way to display progress. I know it is not accurate/consistent - that doesn't matter. It is what I prefer. I wish amazon would add the option to use this page display setting, because it seems really easy to implement. I find their page number+percentage view inferior. I also wish people would stop explaining to me that the page number display is not accurate/consistent/whatever lol.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:33 PM   #47
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@niftium: Nope, it's just the usual FW 5.10.x snafu because you were using an "old" JB/hotfix/bridge.

I've just manually rebuilt it, hopefully without bypassing anything my usual build procedure handles automatically . That should get you back on track.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-17-2019 at 06:13 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:07 PM   #48
niftium
niftium began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@niftium: Nope, it's just the old FW 5.10.x snafu because you were using an "old" JB/hotfix/bridge.

I've just manually rebuilt it, hopefully without bypassing anything my usual build procedure handles automatically . That should get you back on track.
Holy mother of pearl, I'm back in business with all of the latest snapshot versions of the packages I love. Thank you very much!

And back OT for a second: the 5.10.3 update does seem to speed up page turns. I was skeptical, but I couldn't resist.
niftium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:20 PM   #49
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
My meaningless unscientific impression is that battery drain rate is much better on this firmware release on my Oasis 1, comparable to 5.9.7 again. (However, it might just be that they've fixed the *meter*, since as noted in a previous post 5.10.2 started screaming about how it had no power left in the internal battery after about an hour... and then kept right on working for another eight, as long as you were willing to put up with it screaming at you about how it had no power every five minutes.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:59 PM   #50
Futuregrace
Zealot
Futuregrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, iPad Pro 11, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braid View Post
My Kobo devices page displays looks like... 'Page 24 of 127'. I have never wanted to change it to anything else, because it is the obvious best way to display progress. I know it is not accurate/consistent - that doesn't matter. It is what I prefer. I wish amazon would add the option to use this page display setting, because it seems really easy to implement. I find their page number+percentage view inferior. I also wish people would stop explaining to me that the page number display is not accurate/consistent/whatever lol.
Yes! Agree 100%
Futuregrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:22 AM   #51
Lordblacknail
Zealot
Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2 Oasis Many Fires Galaxy Tab S7 Plus
hot damn!!!! Did anyone else see that the software for Oasis 9th generation is listed but not hyperlinked???? I can only hope that means there is a new Oasis in the pipeline.
Lordblacknail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:49 AM   #52
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
At least you see the correlation between, "It is what I prefer,"and "...it is the obvious best way to display progress." I certainly wouldn't argue about what you prefer. Now, whether or not that is obviously superior is a different matter.

Of course, while I prefer a percentage I would never argue that showing a percentage is obviously the best way. I like Amazon having options.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:25 AM   #53
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Of course, while I prefer a percentage I would never argue that showing a percentage is obviously the best way. I like Amazon having options.
I did not mean to 'argue' that it is the best way. I stated that it is the best way. This was not to try to persuade anyone to see things the way I see them. Rather, it was to communicate my perception of this way of displaying progress: it is the obvious best way. I am sorry if you felt I was overly making bold claims/arguments. Sometimes I like or dislike a feature because of some particularity or idiosyncrasy in how I read ebooks... other times I perceive a certain way of doing things as being the obvious easiest/simplest/most intuitive solution, and I perceive many others to share my opinion. This is not an extraneous detail to me: if I feel that a feature should obviously be this or that way, it affects how I enjoy using the device. Therefore, I feel that it can be relevant on a forum like this to share with others not only my unique preferences, but also my perception of features of e-readers.

Last edited by Braid; 02-18-2019 at 07:36 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:46 AM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I did not mean to 'argue' that it is the best way. I stated that it is the best way. This was not to try to persuade anyone to see things the way I see them. Rather, it was to communicate my perception of this way of displaying progress: it is the obvious best way. I am sorry if you felt I was overly making bold claims/arguments. Sometimes I like or dislike a feature because of some particularity or idiosyncrasy in how I read ebooks... other times I perceive a certain way of doing things as being the obvious easiest/simplest/most intuitive solution, and I perceive many others to share my opinion. This is not an extraneous detail to me: if I feel that a feature should obviously be this or that way, it affects how I enjoy using the device. Therefore, I feel that it can be relevant on a forum like this to share with others not only my unique preferences, but also my perception of features of e-readers.
I have to say that I completely disagree.

When you look at a bookmark in a physical book, you gauge your progress through the book in percentage terms: you think "that bookmark is about three quarters of the way through the book". You don't think "that bookmark looks as if it's on page 257 out of 343". A percentage is, to my mind, a more "natural" method of gauging progress.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:56 AM   #55
Braid
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

When you look at a bookmark in a physical book, you gauge your progress through the book in percentage terms: you think "that bookmark is about three quarters of the way through the book". You don't think "that bookmark looks as if it's on page 257 out of 343". A percentage is, to my mind, a more "natural" method of gauging progress.
You don't seem to be disagreeing with the main points of the post you've quoted. Aside from that, yeah, the percentage display may be the preference for many people, for any number of reasons, and for those people it feels just as 'natural' and 'obvious' as my preferences feel to me. I welcome the percentage display as an option.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:00 AM   #56
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblacknail View Post
hot damn!!!! Did anyone else see that the software for Oasis 9th generation is listed but not hyperlinked???? I can only hope that means there is a new Oasis in the pipeline.
The download is linked on the Kindle Oasis (9th Generation) Software Updates page. That is where I first noticed the 5.10.3 update.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:14 AM   #57
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
You don't seem to be disagreeing with the main points of the post you've quoted. Aside from that, yeah, the percentage display may be the preference for many people, for any number of reasons, and for those people it feels just as 'natural' and 'obvious' as my preferences feel to me. I welcome the percentage display as an option.
Page x of y is definitely superior to percent. Percent doesn't give an indication of how long the book is. To get an equivalent, you would need x% of y pages.

IMO, YMMV.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:26 AM   #58
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
The 5.10.3 firmware apparently includes a new feature that is not yet activated:

Quote:
You can now filter your library to see only read or unread books. Books that appear to have been completed are automatically marked as read.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:38 AM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Page x of y is definitely superior to percent. Percent doesn't give an indication of how long the book is. To get an equivalent, you would need x% of y pages.

IMO, YMMV.
I do agree that % is useless if you cannot see how long the book is. Using the pBooks analogy, when you look where your bookmark is, you also see the size of the book and can then estimate how far along you are and how much left you have. With an eBook, you don't see how large the book is so you don't know what the % means in terms of how much you've read and how much you've left. The problem with Kindles is that page numbers are meaningless because they can be set to just about anything. With Calibre, I can set any page number and Calibre will make a page number file to make that work. Amazon does the same thing with page number to fit some version pBook.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-18-2019 at 08:49 AM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:56 AM   #60
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I hope this does not work like the Audible app, where the default is to see all books, so every time you want to consult a library, it's necessary to switch over to "hide finish titles."
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote