Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-19-2019, 03:49 AM   #1
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
BABY Steps Needed

I need Baby Steps instructions on How to get the OS on a 32 gig sd card.

In ADVANCE
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:46 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
I need Baby Steps instructions on How to get the OS on a 32 gig sd card.

In ADVANCE
Look at Memory Upgrade Mod Guide. They are for the Glo, but the basic steps and tools are the same. Also, the links are out of date, but they take you to the correct site and it has a page to download the tools from.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2019, 05:06 AM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The 1st step Wants to change my PC.... I don't need the PC changed. sheesh
Old 05-19-2019, 06:06 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
The 1st step Wants to change my PC.... I don't need the PC changed. sheesh
Sorry, I don't really know what you mean. If you mean, "The first step is to install something on the PC, but I don't want to", then you can do what you want. Windows doesn't have the tools needed. If you are using something else, then you should state that so that we know the starting point. And for either Linux or MAC, I would have pointed to the same thread, but with a little extra.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:50 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I wonder if she's seeing the warning from Windows that the program you're about to run needs more privileges? (Sorry just in bed still and can't remember the exact message that Windows displays)
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2019, 12:55 PM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Partition software:
http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-...n-manager.html
"Free Partition Software - MiniTool® Partition Wizard Home Edition 7.8"

1st step when I DL it to PC it want me to change the Partition on the Hard Drive of my PC!!!!
Old 05-19-2019, 01:21 PM   #7
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Partition software:
http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-...n-manager.html
"Free Partition Software - MiniTool® Partition Wizard Home Edition 7.8"

1st step when I DL it to PC it want me to change the Partition on the Hard Drive of my PC!!!!
if it ain't broke don't fit it!
but most likely it just wants to slightly resize or realign it , especially if what you have now is the result of lots of windows updates and upgrades over the years, and if there are wasted , unallocated parts of the hard drive
that program is very safe and has very good reviews, but if the thought of it messing with your system drive stresses you out then don't do it.

an unexpected power cut part way thorough it doing its thing would not be good !
FWIW, a completely fresh install of windows 10 after some disaster is quick and easy nowadays. You can do it, to SSD , in less than 30 minutes, and if you dump essentials into dropbox or google drive or one drive beforehand, it does not take long to set up everything again
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:28 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Used to take 15min to install Windows to HDD.
Laptops are great, built in UPS.

No partition tool should be wanting change your partitions. Don't let it. There is NO reason why it should need to.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:28 PM   #9
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

stumped What Does Partitioning a SD Card to use in a Kobo e-reader have to do with Messing with my PC Hard Drive??
Old 05-19-2019, 03:30 PM   #10
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

So why does EVERY time I asked for the instruction to put the Kobo OS into a larger SD Card I Told This is what I to do?? This is BS
Old 05-19-2019, 04:37 PM   #11
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
stumped What Does Partitioning a SD Card to use in a Kobo e-reader have to do with Messing with my PC Hard Drive??
There is no connection.

But the program you are downloading is usually used to partition pc hard drives, so unless you tell it different, it assumes that is what you want to do, so it asks permission to work on your pc hard drive?

Read the programs help files , find out how to use it on a sd card, or use a different program
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:40 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The message from Windows is just saying that the program had the ability to update the hard drive, not that it will.

It will only update what YOU tell it to.

So say Yes and then proceed to repartition the SD card
Old 05-19-2019, 04:45 PM   #13
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

It says Do You Want this program to Change your HD.... NOTHING about doing just an update.

I do this Any one Willing to buy me a new HD? Best Buy $150!!!

This is what I 1st see: https://www.partitionwizard.com/free...n-manager.html

No where does it give you tools to do this on SDCARD....

Last edited by Barbara1955; 05-19-2019 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:18 PM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Don't use it for your HD.
It's YEARS since I did stuff like this on Windows. There are tools for USB sticks (same should work on an SD card, especially if you use a USB adaptor.

1) Get a tool to write an ISO file to a USB Stick
2) Download ISO for 32 or 64 bit Linux Mint with Mate desktop, version 18.3, not the shiny new 19.1 See https://linuxmint.com/download_all.php If the PC / laptop has a 64bit CPU, even 0.5G RAM will work for 64 bits. If you have a 32bit CPU, then download 32 bit version. Irrelevant if Windows is 32 or 64 bit.
3) Write using the ISO tool to a 4G or larger USB memory stick (it will erase anything already on it.
4) Boot that stick. You might have to change your BIOS setting if it doesn't boot. Do this with stick in USB port. If EFI/UEFI, enable Legacy AND EFI so that Secure Boot isn't needed and enable USB stick to boot before HDD.
4b) DO NOT actually install Linux. Just let it run from the USB stick. Do NOT double click "install" on the desktop.
5) Use the SD card in a USB adaptor if there is no built in card reader or that's not recognised.
6) Use the Linux tools such as gparted or Disks to do anything to the SD card.

HOWEVER, if you download the correct windows tools, you don't need Linux. Linux has all the tools "built in".

That program is to manage Windows disks, and not really needed since Windows 7. I used to use "Partition Magic" on NT4.0 and XP and indeed used it to move a Windows install from a small disk to a big one a few weeks ago. I think that program is the wrong tool for SD cards and not needed for win7 /8 / 10.

With the Linux Live USB stick as a source of tools you ONLY need a spare 4G or larger USB stick and a Windows program to format a USB stick with an ISO file. However perhaps that's all you need for the SD card if the downloaded OS for it is an ISO file (or ISO inside a zip).

Last edited by Quoth; 05-19-2019 at 05:24 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:24 PM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

I believe ANY program that attempts to restore an image file will give the same warning when it is launched.