Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-04-2016, 10:34 AM   #1
Bobbe
Enthusiast
Bobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: sony prs 300
Unhappy Glo HD database image malformed

Hello,
I was adding some new books to my Calibre library today, and when I tried to send them to my Glo HD, Calibre came back with the message: "database image malformed".

I've been using the Kobo Utilities plugin to make backups of my ereader. Can someone please explain (on noob level) how to restore to a former database using these Kobo Utilities backups? Or is this not possible? Is it necessary to do a full clean install from scratch?

It's still possible to read books on the reader. It seems to work ok. It just won't talk to Calibre anymore.
Bobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:11 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
That error is a sign the database on the device is corrupted. When that happens, the device can keep working as it is using an in-memory copy of the data. But, when the device tries to write to the database, it probably won't work. That means any updates are lost and a restart of the device will read old data. This shows up as missing books, lost reading status or older books appearing on the home screen.

The fix for this is to log out of the Kobo account. That will generate a new database and reload the books. But, as you have a backup of the database, you can restore this to the device and everything will be OK.

To restore the database, you simply need copy the backup database file over the database file on the device. The database on the device is in the directory ".kobo" and the name is "KoboReader.sqlite". After disconnecting, I would recommend restarting the device. This will ensure the database is reread properly.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2016, 04:08 AM   #3
Bobbe
Enthusiast
Bobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: sony prs 300
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That error is a sign the database on the device is corrupted. When that happens, the device can keep working as it is using an in-memory copy of the data. But, when the device tries to write to the database, it probably won't work. That means any updates are lost and a restart of the device will read old data. This shows up as missing books, lost reading status or older books appearing on the home screen.

The fix for this is to log out of the Kobo account. That will generate a new database and reload the books. But, as you have a backup of the database, you can restore this to the device and everything will be OK.

To restore the database, you simply need copy the backup database file over the database file on the device. The database on the device is in the directory ".kobo" and the name is "KoboReader.sqlite". After disconnecting, I would recommend restarting the device. This will ensure the database is reread properly.
Yes! Thanks! I already tried putting back the backup, but I stupidly put the database file in the root folder.
I now put a recent backup in the .kobo folder, and restarted the device after safely ejecting it from the computer.
It is working flawlessly again, talking happily to Calibre.
Bobbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, error