Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-25-2024, 03:39 AM   #1
bizzybody
Addict
bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various PalmOS PDAs, Android Phones, Sharper Image Literati
I finally have the Kobo WiFi N647 1.9.12 firmware.

I bought another N647 on eBay, this seller was happy to check the firmware version.

Got it yesterday, took it apart around 1:00 AM today. Made a backup copy of the card as-is as a backup in case the thing corrupted itself like my first N647 did.

Put the card back in and it got to the welcome screen. I rebooted it and waited for it to get to the setup screen then I powered it off. Unplugged the battery before removing the card.

I used both Vconsole.com USB Duplicator Image Creator and USB Image Tool from alexpage.de to make images of the clean card.

So, where can this backup be put for other people to get for their Kobo Wifi N647?

I do not know if it will work with the N647B. Could try writing it to a 2GB or larger card and putting it into one of that model.

Why did I spend around $50 buying two old Kobo e-readers, one that arrived with a busted display and firmware 1.9 and this one with the power and D-pad gone all gummy and gooey, but with the final firmware version?

Because Rakuten's total abandonment to the point of not even providing the last firmware really p!$$ed me off. Try and stop people from getting this firmware? Not happening.

Now my plan is to swap the buttons and d-pad from my original thrift store find pink and white device to this latest all black one.

There's a 3D printable D-pad file available but not one for the power button. Perhaps I'll design one.
bizzybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 11:15 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
No, the N647 and N647B are different hardware and the firmware image from one will not work on the other.

If you want to place the image online temporarily and PM me a link to the image file, I can add it to my image collection with known firmware versions.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2024, 03:42 AM   #3
bizzybody
Addict
bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various PalmOS PDAs, Android Phones, Sharper Image Literati
Now I just need to find the broken screen one to transplant the rubber bits over, and buy a couple of 32 gig micro SD cards and I'll have two expanded old Kobos.
bizzybody is offline   Reply With Quote