Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-22-2015, 04:46 PM   #1
Bob Brunius
Connoisseur
Bob Brunius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW & Kobo H2O
Commands for Aura armv7l GNU/Linux on telnet

Many of the Linux commands don't work. Ultimately I'd like to get node.js to run. I have telnet and ftp running. The wifi wants to disconnect pretty quickly if there hasn't been any activity.

How do I get a list of commands that run from the command prompt? compgen doesn't work.

Last edited by Bob Brunius; 03-23-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Bob Brunius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:01 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Explore the contents of /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin since that is after all the usual way of the shell finding commands.

What commands are you looking for? A lot of stuff will be stripped when using an embedded linux. You might be better off installing debian (it's been done here) or using a chroot.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2015, 12:08 AM   #3
Bob Brunius
Connoisseur

I see the commands. I don't see chmod. How do you change permissions on a file?
Old 03-23-2015, 12:26 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I generally use chmod - it's on my Kindle. (Bash also autocompletes commands and filenames...)
Has Kobo stripped a pretty low-level tool like that? I suppose you could always cross-compile a binary, or use a chroot -- but that seems like overkill.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:35 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Looking at the unpacked firmware installation file, "chmod" is in "/bin". It is a link to "/bin/busybox". I think this is done for most standard Linux commands.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2015, 12:36 AM   #6
Bob Brunius
Connoisseur

I wanted to try the frontlight command to be able to change the backlight level but the file doesn't have executable permission after I ftp'ed it the the Aura. It won't run that way but I can't figure out how to change the permissions.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:48 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Well, as davidfor said. Are you sure it isn't there? Have you tried using it?
Old 03-23-2015, 02:25 AM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Try executing busybox to see what commands it implements.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:06 AM   #9
Bob Brunius
Connoisseur

OK I swear that I tried it before and I couldn't find chmod in the path. When I tried to change the permission using FileZilla it still comes back with "unknown command".

But I just tried it now and it worked and now frontlight is doing it's thing for me.

Before though I don't remember seeing BusyBox it was -sh I think. Now I do see the BusyBox if I put the chmod with no command line params.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:21 AM   #10
Bob Brunius
Connoisseur

Thanks for your help on that folks.

Any idea why my wifi connection times out in 60 seconds without activity? I have to touch the screen and "Join a WiFi network" if I leave the terminal inactive for a minute. Is there a way to change that? Thanks
Old 03-23-2015, 11:05 AM   #11
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brunius View Post
Any idea why my wifi connection times out in 60 seconds without activity? I have to touch the screen and "Join a WiFi network" if I leave the terminal inactive for a minute. Is there a way to change that? Thanks
Have you investigated the Kobo Patcher. One of the many patches is labelled
patch_name = `Wi-Fi insomnia`

Perhaps that will help, but I haven't used it myself as I never use wi-fi.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:56 PM   #12
Bob Brunius
Connoisseur

Now I have a web browser application running that makes a JSONP call every 2 seconds. When that is running then the ftp and telnet terminal stay up. Maybe it's OK as is for now. Thanks for your comment jackie.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:18 PM   #13
Bob Brunius
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brunius View Post
Now I have a web browser application running that makes a JSONP call every 2 seconds. When that is running then the ftp and telnet terminal stay up. Maybe it's OK as is for now. Thanks for your comment jackie.
Odd behavior continues. Today the telnet terminal with H2O stays alive but the ftp connection is closing "closed by server" 60 seconds after the last activity.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:49 PM   #14
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you use a fake user account (empty string in the user table) and then run a sync, the sync will never finish and keep the wifi on indefinitely for me, on my H2O.

Another way is to freeze nickel with pkill -SIGSTOP nickel (use SIGCONT to resume) but of course you can't do anything else with the device then (like using the browser or whatever).
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:52 PM   #15
Bob Brunius
Connoisseur

I have an application running on the browser that does an JSONP call every two seconds. When that is running the the WiFi stays up and the telnet console stays open indefinitely. However the ftp connection is still very unreliable and usually drops out after 60 sec even though the other stuff keeps running.

I tried killing nickel but as you mentioned, that kills the browser too. I wonder if I could get chrome to run on this. Chrome must be pretty big?