Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
MOBI or AZW for Paperwhite

I'm converting some books from ePub to be read on a Kindle Paperwhite. Does it matter whether I convert to .mobi or .azw? Is one preferable to the other (and, if so, why). Will the reading experience be different or will I get a better conversion?
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Mobi and AZW are the same thing with different file extensions.

You might want to consider converting your ePubs to AZW3 (KF8) which is supports most of ePub's formatting options that older Mobi leaves out, but for a lot of books it makes little to no difference.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
So I tried .azw3 and discovered a reason to stick with .mobi! Apparently, Amazon's servers don't permit .azw3 books to be emailed to a Kindle. So, because my usual method of getting books to my wife's Kindle is via email, I need to stick with .mobi. Odd, though...
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:15 AM   #4
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWallack View Post
So I tried .azw3 and discovered a reason to stick with .mobi! Apparently, Amazon's servers don't permit .azw3 books to be emailed to a Kindle. So, because my usual method of getting books to my wife's Kindle is via email, I need to stick with .mobi. Odd, though...
If you set your output Mobi type to 'both' in Calibre, it will have both a MOBI6 (old mobi) and KF8 part, getting you in effect an AZW3 file you can mail to your Kindle; Amazon will accept those.

Don't ask me why they won't just let you mail a 'bare' KF8 to your Kindle, though.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote