Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-29-2008, 11:39 PM   #91
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Taylor:

I am flattered.

Was going to comment on your addition of an avatar elsewhere, and am glad that I waited until I visited this thread. Have fun storming the conference!

@ Zelda: I would state that the distinction 'twixt pie and tart, beyond possible language delineations, is that a tart is, not surprising topless, while the chaste, or at least more refined, pie generally covers up it lustrous bounty, revealing its inner beauty only to one willing to 'take the plunge' and cut a slice, rather than brazenly showing everyone her sweet, syrupy filling.

Here is a picture of possibly nature's most delectable pie:
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:08 PM   #92
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
We met for brunch late the next morning. It was a strange meeting. And how appropriate to discover a real sidewalk cafe - one with tables that gently rocked on the uneven cobbles beneath us. Embracing couples strolled by us in delusional trances. An odd hush seemed to muffle even the birds that sang from the cherry trees nearby. But none of it mattered - for I was focused on her. Nothing could have torn her from my thoughts. We shared a pear tart that glistened in the sun and gently steamed from the glass plate. But the smell of the exposed fruit reminded me only of her - her warm flesh, its taste and gentle texture that I had probed for hours the night before. From the sight of the graceful curve of her neck touched by her dark brown hair, I could only invision the contours of her luscious body as she motioned passionately. Her simple movements as she ate. All of these sent me reeling. Mental acuity is a requirement for life and mine was nearing its end. My mind was bursting as I approached sensory overload. My head, engorged with emotions, seemingly expanded to the size of a planet. My cranial diodes nearly fused. Vera, if only I could escape you, I would. But my very being - unnatural as it is - is intimately tied to you. Vera. What will I do?

vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:12 PM   #93
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, Vivaldi, you win.

This is one of the myriad reasons that pie is so super awesome, especially compared to cake. Who would consider cake sexy?

N.B. Yes, an attractive naked person of your own particular preferrment covered in cake would indeed be sexy, but that says less about cake than it does about good-looking naked people.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:42 PM   #94
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
We met for brunch late the next morning. It was a strange meeting. And how appropriate to discover a real sidewalk cafe - one with tables that gently rocked on the uneven cobbles beneath us. Embracing couples strolled by us in delusional trances. An odd hush seemed to muffle even the birds that sang from the cherry trees nearby. But none of it mattered - for I was focused on her. Nothing could have torn her from my thoughts. We shared a pear tart that glistened in the sun and gently steamed from the glass plate. But the smell of the exposed fruit reminded me only of her - her warm flesh, its taste and gentle texture that I had probed for hours the night before. From the sight of the graceful curve of her neck touched by her dark brown hair, I could only invision the contours of her luscious body as she motioned passionately. Her simple movements as she ate. All of these sent me reeling. Mental acuity is a requirement for life and mine was nearing its end. My mind was bursting as I approached sensory overload. My head, engorged with emotions, seemingly expanded to the size of a planet. My cranial diodes nearly fused. Vera, if only I could escape you, I would. But my very being - unnatural as it is - is intimately tied to you. Vera. What will I do?

is it a little warm in here, or is it just me ? one moment, i'm just going to open a window... that's better.

zowie, i will never be able to eat a pear tarte without blushing now. i don't know whether i should say you have "ruined" pear tarts (in the victorian (or moral) sense, that is...) but in any case the experience is surely definitively transformed... hopefully enhanced, although it could be embarassing in future if i am offered pear tarte for dessert at a party...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:54 PM   #95
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry for that. I've always wanted to have a go at writing a little drivel just for the fun of it. I had a friend who used to write romance stories and could knock one off in a few hours. And I figured that with several decades of reading under my belt, how hard could it be? So I gave it a shot. After three hours I had eleven sentences which I then quickly ended with some more nonsense. I think I'll go back to reading and leave the writing (even of drivel) to professionals.

By the way, I absolutely love pear tarts and pear pies.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:34 PM   #96
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I think I'll go back to reading and leave the writing (even of drivel) to professionals.
no no, i really think you have a future in it !!

Quote:
By the way, I absolutely love pear tarts and pear pies.
well naturally ! how could you not ?
Old 03-01-2008, 07:06 PM   #97
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I have acquired a sudden desire to bake a pear tart for my partner ...
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:20 PM   #98
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I say we collaborate on a Romance, right here. Hmmm, pies, Vera... I'll start:

Ol' Harv first noticed Vera at the pie eatin’ contest at last year’s county fair. Folks had always told him he had a good eye for livestock, and he nearly choked on his hog call when he caught the glare off her sweaty bosom as she came up outta’ that cherry pie for breath. He’d won the hog call championship three years a-running, but the way she wiped her mouth with the back of her hand, flinging cherry filling and pie crust away into the shimmering summer air, plum took his breath away. Harv’s mind cast back to that day as he and Vera made love on the bathroom floor. The sound of her love-slick backside as it squeegied across the linoleum, put all his hog-calling efforts to shame, he thought, panting.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:27 PM   #99
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
...Harv's mind cast back to that day as he and Vera made love on the bathroom floor. The sound of her love-slick backside as it squeegied across the linoleum, put all his hog-calling efforts to shame, he thought, panting.

I think I'm going to bust a gut laughing, Planet Head! Good return.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:45 PM   #100
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Oh my god, make it stop! I can barely breath.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:54 PM   #101
Cthulhu
Technologist

Wow,Taylor, Wow.

That is reminiscent of the worst of Jimbo, the redneck romance writer from the Questionable Content webcomic.

It's tacky, vulgar, and of course incredibly titilating, and so
important for the way that you capture the cultural pathos of early 21st century rural subculture. Brav(o/a)!

@ Patricia: that is one lucky husband that you have there.

Taylor, another thought: Having been at sea a number of times, I can tell you that, uncategorically, vomiting helps. Second, there is no one who claims to never be sick at sea who is not A. a liar or B. A character in a movie or play trying to make a point.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:01 PM   #102
zelda_pinwheel

i can barely see to type. actual, litteral tears of laughter running down my cheeks from reading this.

i'm reminded of Raymond Queneau's "Exercises de style" (Exercises in style). (and by the way, if you have not yet discovered Raymond Queneau and read everything he ever wrote, I don't know what you have been doing with your lives, or how you have survived such bleak and barren existences...)

ok, who's next ?
Old 03-01-2008, 08:05 PM   #103
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

I can't stop laughing! I don't know you are, Planet Head, or what you do but that was absolutely brilliant. I don't think I'll ever forget it. Cherry pie it is! And please, continue!
Old 03-01-2008, 08:13 PM   #104
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
Taylor, another thought: Having been at sea a number of times, I can tell you that, uncategorically, vomiting helps.
That line from Dr. Maturin struck me as uproariously funny when I read it. I first read the series as a teenager, I loved the naval jargon and the battles. Re-reading now (I'm 39) I can finally appreciate how very funny these books are.

To the rest, nay, I shan't continue with the Passionate Story of Harv and Vera. Someone else must post the next chapter, "Love in a Deer Stand".

Or, maybe we should continue with the love/pie anthology, and leave Harv and Vera on the floor. Dare we call it "The Passion of the Crust"?

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 03-01-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:31 PM   #105
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Or, maybe we should continue with the love/pie anthology, and leave Harv and Vera on the floor. Dare we call it "The Passion of the Crust"?
"The Passion of the Crust" !!!! how could we call it anything else ??? oh, brilliant, brilliant... my stomach hurts from laughing so much. this thread should be compiled for posterity. Let the anthology continue !

so, what is this book you are quoting ? if the rest of it lives up to the citation, i must definitely add it to my list...

Tags
birth of the cool, farking and lower farking, hugo and lefty, liseuse, ongoing saga, saga, screaming mad adrian, the birth of the cool, the goose, unutterable silliness, vera