Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-12-2020, 11:53 PM   #1
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Portable 5 - import weirdness

I exported my current Calibre library to a newly created directory on the portable drive I want to use. (Screenshot 1)

I open Portable 5 and select import Library. I navigate to the directory I exported to. (Screenshots 2 and 3)

I select OK for the import (screenshot 4)

The import wants to proceed from a different drive and directory? (screenshot 5)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre export 01.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	182666   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre export 02.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	182667   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre export 03.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	182668   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre export 04.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	182669   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre export 05.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	182670  
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:34 PM   #2
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Any ideas why this might be happening?
Advert
Old 10-13-2020, 08:04 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's not the location for the import, its where the library was located at export time, the import will run from the exported files.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:31 PM   #4
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That's not the location for the import, its where the library was located at export time, the import will run from the exported files.
Thank you Mr Goyal!
Old 10-22-2020, 02:05 PM   #5
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I have just launched my Calibre portable and discovered that it is using the main install's library. This disappointed me and makes me wonder what the point of the export was, because the default library for the portable library is NOT the directory to which I exported, but the one from which I exported.

The whole point of exporting the Calibre library from the F drive to the D drive was to have the Calibre portable install use the exported library. I had assumed that it would be entirely separate, that the portable would be 100% independent, effectively unaware of another Calibre library Instead, it ignores the library it imported. Why?
Advert
Old 10-22-2020, 02:31 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I have just launched my Calibre portable and discovered that it is using the main install's library. This disappointed me and makes me wonder what the point of the export was, because the default library for the portable library is NOT the directory to which I exported, but the one from which I exported.

The whole point of exporting the Calibre library from the F drive to the D drive was to have the Calibre portable install use the exported library. I had assumed that it would be entirely separate, that the portable would be 100% independent, effectively unaware of another Calibre library Instead, it ignores the library it imported. Why?
A bit odd. My calibre portable install uses the library folder that I created after the install. When you click on Switch/create library, what does it show for the current location of your library? If it isn't the folder you imported your exported library into, what happens when you browse to that folder and try the "use the previously existing library at the new location" option?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:35 PM   #7
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
A bit odd. My calibre portable install uses the library folder that I created after the install. When you click on Switch/create library, what does it show for the current location of your library? If it isn't the folder you imported your exported library into, what happens when you browse to that folder and try the "use the previously existing library at the new location" option?
I was able to switch to the exported directory, but the whole point of a portable install was that I shouldn't have to. So I deleted the portable installation and reinstalled via my Portable Apps setup and this time I was able to point the fresh portable install to the correct directory and have it as default. Now when I slip that drive in my pocket and take it with me, it won't sulk that its default library is nowhere to be found.

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 10-22-2020 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:03 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Good to hear you have fixed your problems.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote