Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old Today, 08:09 AM   #31
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
I had an issue with my Clara and battery draining overnight when I first bought it (I got it from John Lewis for £35 as a open box item).

I reset it and that cured it (just as well as the John Lewis staff were very unhelpful).

Not my favorite reader but it survives living in the bottom of my rucksack with minimal charging (so far anyway).
Mort1997 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:43 AM   #32
compurandom
Fanatic
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
It makes no difference whether you drain the battery to 50% and recharge it more frequently, or drain it to 5% and recharge it less frequently.
This is largely true for lead acid batteries, which is not what kobo uses.

This article directly contradicts you:

Battery University: How to prolong lithium based batteries

Quote:
Case in point, I have a 15-year old iPod Classic
You can't compare a 15 year old battery with a current battery. They don't have the same chemistry, and battery technology has changed drastically in 15 years.

Also, Apple did and does a lot of special things with the electronics around their batteries to try to keep them healthy.

Last edited by compurandom; Today at 09:25 AM.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:51 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The usual thought here is that something in the book leaves a process running and that drains the battery. That's where the suggestion for removing the bad books comes from. Remove and fix them and the problem goes away. And restarting the device will solve it until you open one of these bad books again.

The problem that I don't think anyone knows what in the book causes this.
Do you think converting from ePub > KePub and visa-versa might solve the problem with a bad book?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:06 AM   #34
compurandom
Fanatic
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you think converting from ePub > KePub and visa-versa might solve the problem with a bad book?
Converting epub->epub is more likely to fix it, as that rewrites a lot of the epub structures from scratch. However since we don't know what's causing it, there's no way to know if either conversion path would fix it.

If it turns out it's embedded javascript doing it, I don' t think either of these conversions removes it.

Do you have a book that you are sure is causing a drain?

It occurs to me that since we can do things like run shell scripts on the device, it should be possible to look and see if there is something chewing cpu and directly test this.
Old Today, 10:50 AM   #35
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Converting ePub->KePub is actually ePub->ePub followed by adding the Kobo features

And no, if the problem is in the JavaScript a conversion won’t fix it. But if it’s the structure or CSS a conversion might fix it.
jgoguen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:19 AM   #36
compurandom
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
Converting ePub->KePub is actually ePub->ePub followed by adding the Kobo features
Good to know! Thanks for the correction.

So I've cobbled together some scripts that work with NickelMenu to record high cpu use processes and even display a list on the device live.

Now all I need is a set of triggers that cause high cpu use. Would others be interested in that? Should I post them here or start a new thread or??
Old Today, 02:29 PM   #37
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
I suspect the high CPU process will be the Adobe ePub renderer or the ACCESS KePub renderer. If that's the case (assuming the info is accessible to NickelMenu scripts) it might be better to note which book is in use and the book position at the time and only note the process if it's not one of those.

Also, how are you defining "high CPU"? False positives are better than false negatives here, but too many false positives and it could quickly get too hard to use that log to track down which books or segments of books are causing problems.
jgoguen is online now   Reply With Quote