Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-16-2020, 09:36 PM   #1
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Why did Calibre not send an updated book to the device?

A fanfiction I am reading on my Kobo Aura HD updated.

I connected the device and used Send to Device to reupload it. The job details show that it uploaded the book to the device.

However, when I open the book on the Kobo it's still the old version.

I use KoboTouchExtended.

I was able to get the updated book on the device by deleting it, re-adding it, and then plugging it in a second time to restore the bookmark with Kobo Utilities. It'd be nice to not have to do this every time.

Any ideas what i did wrong?

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-16-2020 at 09:43 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:58 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I do that all the time with no issues. I probably do it more with the built-in KoboTouch driver, but, it has definitely worked with the KoboTouchExtended driver several times in the last week or so.

In the driver configuration, do you have the "Silently Ignore Failed Conversions" turned on? If so, if there was a problem with the change to kepub, the book won't be sent. But, it doesn't explain why it was sent after deleting the book. At this point, it is probably to late to see what happened. A debug log would probably give an idea of what happened. If it happens again, can you run calibre in debug mode and send the book to the device by itself. Then post the log and I'll have a look at it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:58 AM   #3
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"Silently Ignore Failed Conversions" isn't checked.

"Do not treat replacements as new books" is checked, but the tooltip seems to indicate that it's mostly to preserve existing bookmarks.

The book I tried to update I was currently reading on the Kobo. I'm not sure I made that clear in the first post.

I have a few fics that update every day. I'll send one to the device and test it tomorrow.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-17-2020 at 03:05 AM.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:07 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Did you return to the bookshelf BEFORE connecting to do the update?
The file might be locked/cached if the update was done while in use.
FWIW I have had books fail to be updated, and resorted to the delete, resend method. I never could discover the Why those did what they did.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:46 PM   #5
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I went back to the main menu on the Kobo before connecting.

I have a test fanfic uploaded to the device and have it 60% read (similar to the one I had trouble with). Just waiting on it to update so I can try the debug thing.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:11 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I should have asked, but, how did you know that the book was not updated? If you are looking at the table of contents, that won't get updated when resending a book. But, the chapters will be in the book and you can turn to them, but, not navigate to them.

Did you look at the timestamp of the file on the device after sending it? That will be updated to roughly the current time when you resend a book successfully.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:17 PM   #7
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

...I checked the TOC. I didn't actually think to check the chapter itself. I just checked now and the new chapter is there. I got the same results with the other fic I tested.

Is there a way to force Kobo to update the ToC aside from deleting and re-uploading?

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-17-2020 at 11:19 PM.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:31 PM   #8
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I poked around a bit. I opened KoboReader.sqlite in my database program and found a "content" table that seems to hold all the TOC entries. Don't know if I can actually do anything with that though.

EDIT: I found an old post about this. I'll head over to the Kobo Utilities thread.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-17-2020 at 11:50 PM.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:01 AM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
...I checked the TOC. I didn't actually think to check the chapter itself. I just checked now and the new chapter is there. I got the same results with the other fic I tested.

Is there a way to force Kobo to update the ToC aside from deleting and re-uploading?
As long as I have Do not treat replacements as new books unchecked in the Collections, covers & uploads configuration (2nd tab in the configuration dialog) for the KoboTouch or KoboTouchExtended driver, sending a updated/replacement book triggers the full import including any ToC changes.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:07 AM   #10
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I think I'll just do that and use Kobo Utilities restore the bookmarks.