Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-16-2005, 12:09 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
iRex next-gen e-book reader based on e Ink

iRex is not some kind of meat-eating dinosaur with sharp seven-inch long teeth, but the presumed name of a next-gen e-book reading device based on E Ink technology. Henrycat digged out some mouth-watering details for us:
  • Reflective 8.1-inch XGA (1024x768 => 160dpi!) E Ink screen
  • 16 grey scales (versus 4 grey scales of the Sony Librie)
  • Rechargable battery (lasts for one week when reading 3hrs/day)
  • Wifi + USB connectivity
  • Distributed by iRex Technologies bv, a Philips spinoff
  • Release date set for 2006

Update:
  • Touch-screen display
  • SD and CF card support

Thanks henrycat!

Related: E Ink launches support portal and community forum
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 01:20 PM   #2
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
This looks like the first device that I would consider using to read eBooks instead of my Palm.

But the critical questions haven't been answered yet:
1. What will it cost? If it's over $200, I don't think it will go too far.
2. What formats will it support? Which goes along with...
3. How much storage will it have? If it supports bloated formats like PDF, it will need a good amount of storage.
4. Will it allow editing of eBooks? Many of the eBooks that I use are poorly edited (even the ones I actually pay for! 8-) and I like to edit them on my Palm.

Since it's going to have WiFi, it would seem that it would be able to handle basic HTML at least. So that sounds promising.

What will sink this device faster than an iceberg in the North Atlantic:
1. Support for only proprietary document formats.
2. Mandatory DRM.
3. Proprietary access software (i.e. if it has USB connectivity, it ought to show up as a hard drive on my Linux system and not require that I use special software to send files to it).
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2005, 01:53 PM   #3
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
I doubt that it will be less than $200, based on the Hanlin model using roughly the same technology (which is supposed to sell for about $300). This also has a larger screen and some extra features.

It also doesn't look like editing will be possible, unless there's a hidden stylus somewhere, and a virtual keyboard. I would think using those would be a pain, regardless.

Personally I don't care how much internal storage it has, but I hope that it supports some form of external flash card...
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 01:55 PM   #4
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Henry mentioned that "internet content can be displayed" but browsing wasn't possible. Isn't that a paradox?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 02:03 PM   #5
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingle
I doubt that it will be less than $200, based on the Hanlin model using roughly the same technology (which is supposed to sell for about $300). This also has a larger screen and some extra features.
That may be a problem. However, if it's a pretty good web browser, the value might be there for $300. But that would mean that there would be some sort of input method (for URLs, userID/password entry, etc.).

Quote:
It also doesn't look like editing will be possible, unless there's a hidden stylus somewhere, and a virtual keyboard. I would think using those would be a pain, regardless.
Editing is a "nice to have", but not necessary. I was thinking of something like a virtual keyboard. The screen is large enough to have a finger-typable virtual keyboard. I'm not talking about for writing a novel, but rather for simple corrections of spelling and punctuation.

Quote:
Personally I don't care how much internal storage it has, but I hope that it supports some form of external flash card...
That's sort of what I was getting at. It needs to have enough storage to hold all the eBooks that the average person wants to have available. For slim formats (like HTML and text), you can fit alot of eBooks in a small space. But for bloated formats like PDF, you would need much more storage for the same number of eBooks.
Advert
Old 12-16-2005, 02:07 PM   #6
rlauzon
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
Henry mentioned that "internet content can be displayed" but browsing wasn't possible. Isn't that a paradox?
If we assume that there is no input capability, you wouldn't be able to enter a URL. So think of what it would be like to see a web page, but not be able to enter a URL to go to another web page, or not be able to click on a link (well, not easily). So it could display web content, but not browsing (at least not as most people define "browsing").

But it does seem strange that something that has WiFi capability and the ability to render HTML (assuming that's what they mean by "internet content can be displayed") would not be able to be a broswer too.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:32 PM   #7
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon
But it does seem strange that something that has WiFi capability and the ability to render HTML (assuming that's what they mean by "internet content can be displayed") would not be able to be a broswer too.
Yeah, I was wondering about that, too. What is the WiFi actually good for then?

Looks interesting. 16 shades of gray is good enough for newspaper-quality images.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 02:59 PM   #8
Henrycat
Zealot
Henrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Voyage
I was actually starting to think that you guys were actively ignoring this device since i had so few replies to my post

Should i post what i come up here in this thread, instead of mine, so that everything stays together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
Yeah, I was wondering about that, too. What is the WiFi actually good for then?

Looks interesting. 16 shades of gray is good enough for newspaper-quality images.
I was thinking maybe i would have a library/server on the pc, that would have the ebook files and reformat the web page to a format with pages the device can read.

Although i never used it i thought that was how plucker worked? Sorry if i had the wrong idea.

My friend promised more info this weekend (say saturday afternoon), will just have to wait
Henrycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 04:52 PM   #9
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I think many of us, like myself, are silently watching with great interest!

I would guess that wifi is to allow access to collections of books for download. Download for purchase from a store is most likely because it's a revenue source. But hopefully one can download local personal content also.

Am interested in battery life, if it can read a lot of formats (and is easy to move content there), and if it has a reasonable expansion card type. I have SD cards already, so that would be nice. But CF is cheaper, isn't it?

And if it can read a variety of formats easily, it could be quite a device. Might even change my mind about a standalone book reader. (So far, the convenience of having ebooks with me all the time on my Treo outweighs the disadvantages of a tiny screen.)

Looking forward to the additional info!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 06:45 PM   #10
MrSaint
Little Computer Guy
MrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it is

Device: Treo 650 + iPaq
WOW this device totally made my day! I'd be willing to go up to $350 for it, if the screen is indeed as great as Librie addicts make us want to believe (personally I've never seen E Ink in action). I don't think it'll sell for much cheaper due to the huge 1024x768 on 8.1-inch screen.
MrSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 06:52 PM   #11
MrSaint
Little Computer Guy
MrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it is

Device: Treo 650 + iPaq
PS: I checked the company page but it's rather empty still. Any idea when in 2006 we might expect the iRex? Will it be more like January or more like December 2006?

@Henrycat: thanks for all the information. I am looking forward for what you bring us this weekend!
MrSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 12:28 PM   #12
Henrycat
Zealot
Henrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheese

UPDATE

- The screen will be touch-screen, for navigation and good enough for writing notes!
- Will allow the use of CF AND SD cards
- Besides WI-FI will allow Ethernet connection

That's it. Now idea when he will be able to give me more info

edit: Found out what a ethernet connection is. Google is our friend

Last edited by Henrycat; 12-17-2005 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:48 PM   #13
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
It just keeps sounding better and better...
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 05:08 PM   #14
Henrycat
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobR
It just keeps sounding better and better...
Like TEAL'C would say:

Indeed...

Old 12-18-2005, 12:37 AM   #15
pitcher23
Zealot
pitcher23 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaint
PS: I checked the company page but it's rather empty still. Any idea when in 2006 we might expect the iRex? Will it be more like January or more like December 2006?

@Henrycat: thanks for all the information. I am looking forward for what you bring us this weekend!
According to this site, they seem to think this spring in Europe.

http://www.blackmask.com/cgi-bin/new...&ID=1134454590
pitcher23 is offline   Reply With Quote