Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-18-2014, 02:02 PM   #1801
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I saw the movie that was based on several of these books and liked it. Now that they've been brought to my attention again, I think I'll have a listen in a month or two. I never realized there were so many books in this series and that they were written so recently.

Anyway, I plan to do my listening via the library. They're free and will always be there.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:06 PM   #1802
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I got my versions from Audible, as they were published, for credits. Actually, a few of them I rented from Books on Tape before that, while BoT was still a useful and viable resource. But I went ahead and backfilled those later with credits.
Do you have the last unfinished one (vol 21)?
Advert
Old 01-18-2014, 02:51 PM   #1803
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Do you have the last unfinished one (vol 21)?
No, I never bothered to get it. At a mere 3 hours or so, I wasn't willing to spend a Credit on it, and it was clearly pretty unfinished.

I have the other 20 all as Patrick Tull versions. The Simon Vance ones are equally good, it's just once you start with one reader, there's a strong desire to stay with the same reader. There are also ones now from Ric Jerrom. I haven't really sampled them, so can't comment. Except that it's encouraging that his version uses the Clarissa Oakes title instead of the US The Truelove. A brief listen of his reading was encouraging. (These versions were clearly picked up as part of the disintegration of AudioGo. )
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:03 PM   #1804
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
No, I never bothered to get it. At a mere 3 hours or so, I wasn't willing to spend a Credit on it, and it was clearly pretty unfinished.

I have the other 20 all as Patrick Tull versions. The Simon Vance ones are equally good, it's just once you start with one reader, there's a strong desire to stay with the same reader. There are also ones now from Ric Jerrom. I haven't really sampled them, so can't comment. Except that it's encouraging that his version uses the Clarissa Oakes title instead of the US The Truelove. A brief listen of his reading was encouraging. (These versions were clearly picked up as part of the disintegration of AudioGo. )
I noticed the different narrators during an OverDrive search:
  • Simon Vance -- Blackstone Audio (21 titles)
  • Ric Jerrom -- AudioGO (15 titles)
  • Tim Pigott-Smith -- Random House (10 titles)
  • Robert Hardy -- HarperCollins (5 titles)
  • Neville Taylor -- HarperCollins (1 title)
The only complete collection by a single narrator is from Simon Vance.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 01-18-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:33 PM   #1805
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Well, the Patrick Tull version is complete. I know since I have them all here. However, I'm not sure what their availability is out in the real world. I can still download them from Audible (and I've made sure I have DRM-Free versions of them!), but most are no longer showing as available. The Ric Jerrom versions appear to have 15 titles, not 12. (Some are not listed as part of Aubrey/Maturin, so easy to miss.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2014, 06:15 PM   #1806
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Well, the Patrick Tull version is complete. I know since I have them all here. However, I'm not sure what their availability is out in the real world. I can still download them from Audible (and I've made sure I have DRM-Free versions of them!), but most are no longer showing as available. The Ric Jerrom versions appear to have 15 titles, not 12. (Some are not listed as part of Aubrey/Maturin, so easy to miss.)
Tull isn't listed in OverDrive. I just listed the versions found in OverDrive.

Thanks; and I'll correct Jerrom's entry.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:39 AM   #1807
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
J.F. Penn has recorded Sins of Treachery, and put it up for free on her website:
http://jfpenn.com/treachery/

It's a short story, I don't know how long it is.

Edited to add: it's 30 minutes long. If you join her mailing list, you can also get Sins of the Flesh for free. These are both from a set of three stories inspired by Dante's Inferno.

Last edited by avantman42; 01-21-2014 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Should be J.F. Penn, not Joanna Penn
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:55 AM   #1808
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
link doesn't work
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:00 AM   #1809
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
christianaudio's free book of the month is the ESV Hear the Word Bible. You need to provide an e-mail address, which will subscribe you to their newsletter.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:02 AM   #1810
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
link doesn't work
The JFPenn one? Works for me. What message/error are you getting?
Old 01-19-2014, 03:11 PM   #1811
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Is the Patrick O'Brian series sale over already? I put a few in my shopping cart, but they are all over $10 each.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:18 PM   #1812
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
The JFPenn one? Works for me. What message/error are you getting?
It finally worked but looks like a sample.....
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:33 PM   #1813
avantman42
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
It finally worked but looks like a sample.....
Like I said, it's a short story. Should be complete, though.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:15 PM   #1814
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Is the Patrick O'Brian series sale over already? I put a few in my shopping cart, but they are all over $10 each.
They're still on sale - prices $3.95~$9.95 (1x $4, 14x $7, 6x $10).
Old 01-20-2014, 01:17 PM   #1815
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
christianaudio's free book of the month is the ESV Hear the Word Bible. You need to provide an e-mail address, which will subscribe you to their newsletter.
Thanks; and already noted