Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #16
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
With an alternate launcher (ie. ADW Launcher Ex), I just go to the download folder icon and find the apk file there to install it.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #17
daerelibom
daerelibom can extract oil from cheesedaerelibom can extract oil from cheesedaerelibom can extract oil from cheesedaerelibom can extract oil from cheesedaerelibom can extract oil from cheesedaerelibom can extract oil from cheesedaerelibom can extract oil from cheesedaerelibom can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Touch
Another alternative file manager is solid explorer https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....solidexplorer (it's still free) it has nice UI and you can turn it into ftp server too for quick sharing.
daerelibom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 11:07 AM   #18
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
With an alternate launcher (ie. ADW Launcher Ex), I just go to the download folder icon and find the apk file there to install it.
True. But didn't you needed a file manager to install that alternate launcher in the first place?
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #19
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Is there any way to stop the audible app in the kindle fire hd? Other than going into the settings menu and force the app to stop? I leave the book and in the notification bar it shows that the audible app is still running.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:24 PM   #20
ChuckChic
ChuckChic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
I didn't realize there was a camera icon in the ES folder. I only used it for opening .apk files. I will have to look at it better.

It sounds like you don't need a camera App if you can use it that way. Amazon has a few for the camera, I haven't really explored that yet.
Yes, you have to go to App manager and then to systems apps, otherwise you won't see it!

Glad I could point out something at least one person didn't know of!
ChuckChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2012, 11:28 PM   #21
ChuckChic

Not sure if this is a popular secret or not! But I found this awesome plugin that lets you connect your computer to the KFHD. It's basically a remote desktop application. It's called the "Splashtop Remote Desktop" app. It's on http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004O3YGMC/.

It's not free though! Anybody knows of a free alternative?
Old 10-22-2012, 02:52 AM   #22
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckChic View Post
Not sure if this is a popular secret or not! But I found this awesome plugin that lets you connect your computer to the KFHD. It's basically a remote desktop application. It's called the "Splashtop Remote Desktop" app. It's on http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004O3YGMC/.

It's not free though! Anybody knows of a free alternative?
Friday I wrote about an app that allows you to transfer files back and forth between computer and KindleFire HD without cables and it does a number of other things.

It's at http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/2012...eo-player.html

English blog entry title is:
Kindle Fire HD TIPS - Flash video player; How to use Camera, Video, Panorama mode; app for WiFi transfers from/to computer to Kindle Fire

While there IS a free version, it allows only one-way transfer. For 99c it's a two-way transfer plus other features.
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:50 AM   #23
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
Andrys - you could also use Wifi File Explorer to transfer files to your Kindle without cables:

http://www.amazon.com/Dooblou-WiFi-F...+file+explorer

There is the free version and also a 99 cent PRO version

Last edited by dreams; 11-10-2012 at 02:58 AM. Reason: replaced with full link - moderator
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:56 AM   #24
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
Andrys - you could also use Wifi File Explorer to transfer files to your Kindle without cables:

http://www.amazon.com/Dooblou-WiFi-F...+file+explorer

There is the free version and also a 99 cent PRO version
That's what I wrote about except to give details about why the 99c one is a better deal and also the other things it can do.

That's in a post that has a lot about the otherwise minimal front-facing camera being a bit more full-featured than I expected (even the panorama was easy to do) for quick snapshot type things, not that I care to twist myself around to take a pic with the front of the tablet but others seem to want to do that. And it's easy to attach a pic to a number of programs for sending off.

Also, Youtube is not working as they apparently went back to FlashPlayer needed on most videos for some reason instead of offering HTML5 alternative and I added the links for the three files that make that work. It's a pot pourri of tips for those who don't get to forums much.

Last edited by dreams; 11-10-2012 at 02:58 AM. Reason: replaced with full link in the quoted post - moderator
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #25
ChuckChic

OMG... I found a great list of tips and tricks on site called tablet x-ray. THe direct link to the tips page is http://tabletxray.com/never-ending-l...indle-fire-hd/
Old 11-10-2012, 12:55 AM   #26
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I learned you can sideload Audiobooks MP3 using Windows Media Player... they end up in Music File LOL And for $2 app I can take pic really easy! The App from Amazon looks like a Camera! Now IF I can just learn How to take decent pic without view finder hehehehe Any tips on that? Also I cant seem to find how many pix is the camera & Can you Print the pic out??

Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:21 AM   #27
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
I travel frequently and would like to be certain that I can download apps from the Amazon store when abroad (with my US-credit card of course). I know that videos, mags, etc are not available. I have read this from the Amazon Support pages:
"If you're traveling with your Kindle Fire HD, you can access any content you've downloaded to your device or shop for new content anytime. Learn more about downloading your content to your device for easy access even when your device isn't connected wirelessly.

With a U.S. credit card, you'll also be able to purchase new content for your Kindle Fire HD device while you're abroad."

Has anyone confirmed this any other country not listed in the app pages (UK, France, Germany, etc...)? This sounds (although perhaps not as I am a US customer) different than the "Download Restrictions" that are listed under '"Product Details" for apps in the Amazon App Store.
Thank you!

Update: Seems to work just fine.

Last edited by rgeorg; 11-28-2012 at 07:07 AM.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #28
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Two things I've found so far. You can install Google Chrome as an alternate browser. It's good, but I'm not sure yet which browser is best for the KFHD.

Splashtop Desktop Streamer is a little twitchier on the KFHD. I used it once to test it, then when I went to reconnect it would see my desktop but fail to connect. After lots of unhelpful googling, and fiddling with the settings, I was able to reconnect by rebooting both the Desktop and KFHD.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:54 PM   #29
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
HELP!
I am in Europe (outside the few selected countries that can download apps) and have been "setting up" a new KFHD for a friend. I sideloaded a few books, movies and music files as well as downloading a few free Kindle apps. I also sideloaded and installed a free file manager (Astro).
So, now I deregistered the kindle. Basically, most things are fine - the sideloaded content is available and playable with the stock apps.

But my sideloaded file manager is gone! I expected the Kindle apps to be gone, but not the sideloaded/installed one.

There is no way to install apps now.
I don't know if my friend (who will get the Kindle tomorrow) has a USA Amazon account as I do - we both live in both places. If so, she can access the Amazon app store. Otherwise she'll have to bring the device with her on her next trip to the USA and set it up.

But, in case she doesn't...Anyone have any ideas on how to get a basic file manager installed on the KFHD under these circumstances? The apk file is on the device in the downloads folder. But, how can I get to the folder?
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:48 AM   #30
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
HELP!
I am in Europe (outside the few selected countries that can download apps) and have been "setting up" a new KFHD for a friend. I sideloaded a few books, movies and music files as well as downloading a few free Kindle apps. I also sideloaded and installed a free file manager (Astro).
So, now I deregistered the kindle. Basically, most things are fine - the sideloaded content is available and playable with the stock apps.

But my sideloaded file manager is gone! I expected the Kindle apps to be gone, but not the sideloaded/installed one.

There is no way to install apps now.
I don't know if my friend (who will get the Kindle tomorrow) has a USA Amazon account as I do - we both live in both places. If so, she can access the Amazon app store. Otherwise she'll have to bring the device with her on her next trip to the USA and set it up.

But, in case she doesn't...Anyone have any ideas on how to get a basic file manager installed on the KFHD under these circumstances? The apk file is on the device in the downloads folder. But, how can I get to the folder?
Try going to ES File Explorer's website in Silk and it should give you the option to open it after downloaded so you can install it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote