Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-11-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
UpSpin
Enthusiast
UpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Sony PRS-650
Optimize PDF

As I'm a science student most of my books or articles are in PDF thus I'm in the search of a good way to view PDF files on the eReader. Yep, on the Sony eReader because I need the eInk display.

At the moment I try to figure out how to properly read original and scanned physics books.
Using reflow doesn't work that good, it just doesn't handle equations well.

My main problem is to find the right page size, because the Sony eReader has the odd behavior to add grey margins to not optimal sized books instead of allowing to pan or so.

Well, after a lot of trial and error I figured some working measurements which get displayed with a 1:1 scale (sadly it's not a a pixel precise size).

Width: 89,4 mm
Height: 115,4 mm

Right now I test a scanned book, used Acrobat OCR ClearScan and after that resized the page and set the right page size with cropping. sample.pdf It works pretty well and in landscape mode it's nicely readable. And if I can't read an equation, then I can zoom in and pan to the equation:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-4-12_3.jpg
Views:	635
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	69809Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-4-12_1.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	69808Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-4-12_2.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	69807Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-4-12_4.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	69811

So how do others read PDF files on their eReader? Some tips some tricks? I haven't found that useful information yet, most recommend a tablet without a sunlight readable display, useless for me.

It's a bit sad that the integrated PDF reader has so few options. Is it possible to install alternative PDF readers just like the apps which got installed with PRS+?
UpSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:28 AM   #2
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Just had the chance to look at a sample of one of your files on both my Kindle and Sony PRS-350. I'm amazed at your conversion of a complicated textbook for a small-screened eReader: You've managed to make it so flexible that no ePub or mobi file or even physical copy is needed. The graphics remain clear at every different level of magnification, the cropping is perfect and the text resizing from XS to XXL is completely readable and repaginates beautifully as long as one turns the page after changing the magnification level.

Never in my life have I seen a pdf file as flexible as yours. If they all worked this well, then no one would need an iPad.

The mods really ought to move this post to the PDF forum and sticky it, as I've never seen anyone format a PDF for an eReader as as well as you've done here.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 05-10-2011 at 05:45 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2011, 03:30 AM   #3
mrmls
Enthusiast
mrmls has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 950
I would say you have got the best results possible. Well done!

Haven't heard of installing another PDF reader. Sony already has Adobe Mobile PDF reader. It should be the best for rendering pdf-s.
mrmls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:33 AM   #4
UpSpin
Enthusiast
UpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Thank you.
Yes, the Adobe PDF has a great display quality and supports any PDF file, but lacks some comfortable features, sadly.

Because similar questions about PDFs get asked in this forum sometimes, I'll create a guide about PDF files, including a detailed description how to create and optimize PDFs for the reader. Stay tuned.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
yelloguy
Enthusiast
yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: none
UpSpin: If I could get these results I would be happy. Do you mind sharing your recipe? What tools and what steps do you use? I have a PRS 350 and I do a mish mash of cropping (using OSX Preview) on some PDF's, Calibre convert to epub on others and just built in reflow on others.

Nothing gives me completely satisfying results like a normal epub. I am thinking about getting a tablet since most of my reading is PDF.
yelloguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2011, 04:42 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpSpin View Post
Because similar questions about PDFs get asked in this forum sometimes, I'll create a guide about PDF files, including a detailed description how to create and optimize PDFs for the reader. Stay tuned.
Please do, and if you post in another forum then please leave a message here so I don't miss it.

You've got a lot of Karma for someone with so few posts, and I can see why.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:11 PM   #7
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
You might also want to check out Briss for cropping the PDF borders.
You can find it here.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:14 PM   #8
UpSpin
Enthusiast

so you get a notification:
I created a guide here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=133924