Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-22-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
Gorm
Gorm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Exclamation Changing nationality

Hi!
I'm kinda new to e-books and Kindle, and thus I know little about it. I've tried searching for an answer quite a bit, but there is only diffuse answers, or answers that I don't know if also counts for my case.

So. My mother bought the Kindle from www.amazon.com, and everything has worked fine until now (she is using it little, so I'm lending it).

I've been reading the Dune-series (on a sidenote, I really reccomend those books. You've probably read them, but for those of you who haven't, do it!)

Anyways, I read and downloaded the first three books without any trouble, but when I searched in the Kindle store for the fourth book I couldn't find it, nor the fifth or the sixth one! My only guess was that they weren't available in the country my Kindle is registered any longer. I proceeded to check on amazon on my computer, and yes, "unavailable for your region. Europe". Damn my luck!

Som how do I make my account american so I can continue reading? I've backuped the books that are currently on the Kindle, but to be honest I don't care if I loose them or not. I've read them all once, and that's enough.

On beforehand thanks
Gorm
Gorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:34 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
What some folk have done: Buy some Gift Certificates/Cards and put them on your Amazon account so that when you buy something, your European credit card is not accessed. Put a valid US address on your Amazon account and change your location to USA. I've not tried it but people have posted that this can work.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:11 AM   #3
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorm View Post
Hi!
I'm kinda new to e-books and Kindle, and thus I know little about it. I've tried searching for an answer quite a bit, but there is only diffuse answers, or answers that I don't know if also counts for my case.

So. My mother bought the Kindle from www.amazon.com, and everything has worked fine until now (she is using it little, so I'm lending it).

I've been reading the Dune-series (on a sidenote, I really reccomend those books. You've probably read them, but for those of you who haven't, do it!)

Anyways, I read and downloaded the first three books without any trouble, but when I searched in the Kindle store for the fourth book I couldn't find it, nor the fifth or the sixth one! My only guess was that they weren't available in the country my Kindle is registered any longer. I proceeded to check on amazon on my computer, and yes, "unavailable for your region. Europe". Damn my luck!

Som how do I make my account american so I can continue reading? I've backuped the books that are currently on the Kindle, but to be honest I don't care if I loose them or not. I've read them all once, and that's enough.

On beforehand thanks
Gorm
Welcome to MR... Are you from Denmark, by any chance? I think I see some similarities in the language you use, to what I used, when I first came to Australia....
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:31 AM   #4
Gorm

I'm from Norway, so you're close. I'm afraod it doesn't help me much though.

OT: Would be nice if someone could confirm what poohbear said
Old 06-23-2010, 08:34 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
My advice ... don't make it easy for the stores by jumping through hoops and telling fibs. But elsewhere and send a message that things must be improved to encourage rather than discourage customers. Good to have your company. Gorm. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:06 AM   #6
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
I ran into this the other day in the opposite way; I'm in the US, wanted to buy a Gladys Mitchell early mystery that was available at Amazon in Kindle format - but not to me. Because I was in the US.

The strange thing is I had no problem going to Waterstone and buying it there!
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:28 AM   #7
Gorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorm View Post
I'm from Norway, so you're close. I'm afraid it doesn't help me much though.

OT: Would be nice if someone could confirm what poohbear said
(why must I write at least 5 letters when editing..?)

Oh, quoting instead of editing for the win. I'm sorry. If a mod wants to delete this post, go ahead.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:50 AM   #8
bibble
bibble began at the beginning.

Device: none
I've changed between UK (main) and US a few times, I registered for a USA delivery service (i.e you buy, ship to them then they ship around the world) for free & got a postal address with them.
I've then added that address to Amazon and can now change country by changing my primary address. I haven't had any issues using my bank card against either address (again though I registered for a USD mastercard from a third party so i dont have to pay conversion fees).
bibble is offline   Reply With Quote