Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-09-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
An Aussie's first reader

Well I finally received my reader yesterday. Yay! and now I have actually touched one in the flesh so to speak.

to all the MR contributors that helped me make my decision.

Here are my observations from the Australian point of view of the purchasing process and first day.

Decision is the hardest part, but MR has provided pretty much all the information I have about readers given that there are hardly any in Oz. Although I did see a Kindle at a coffee shop once.

Given that I missed out on a PRS-505 on ebay, I went ahead and purchased a PRS-900 also on ebay. Ozzies, please take care with ebay prices as they are often more expensive than B&H (an alternative that will ship to OZ)

It finally arrives and yippee I am excited. The man of the house thoughtfully goes to his shed to retrieve an Aussie plug to attach to the charger and I am away.

Connecting the reader to the computer installs the sony software automatically. I put Calibre on the other day as I was informed by MR members that it would be superior to Sony. Now to open Calibre I have to shut the Sony software down as it automatically opens when I connect the reader.(I am worried about conflict)

During the set up (reader only) I inadvertantly tell the reader I am in the UK. There is no choice for Australia anyway. It wants to calibrate the touch screen several times, but eventually lets me continue putting the date/time etc. Later it wants to calibrate again and I have awful trouble getting it to work, but I have to tap harder and more accurately.

Then in the Sony reader library I see I can get 100 free books but I have to register first. The link takes me to a registration page where I am apparently in the UK. Should I lie about this just to get free books? I have not registered it yet as I am unsure about it and there is no choice for Australia.

Anyway, I manage to put 2 books on the reader using Calibre and I am currently reading one. "The life and adventures of William Buckley". It is a free google book from 1852.

Some letters in the book are wrong, but I guess this is because Google has scanned it to OCR and errors occur. I don't know if this is common with ebooks.

I have noticed the glare that people talk about, although it is not enough to stop my enjoyment. I guess if you are used to a less glary screen it would bother you.

So far so good. I am getting the hang of page turning with touch swipe (which intuitively seems to go the wrong way).

The MR forums and all the wonderful help from members has made what would be a real struggle a lot easier.

Cheers
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
Almas
Addict
Almas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Touch; Sony PRS-600
Congrats once again on your reader! I was so excited when I could finally hold and play with mine!

Quote:
Now to open Calibre I have to shut the Sony software down as it automatically opens when I connect the reader.(I am worried about conflict)
I have the same problem, the Sony software automatically opens up when I connect my reader but I just shut it down all the time. If there is a way to stop it from popping up everytime, I would love to know as well!
Quote:
Then in the Sony reader library I see I can get 100 free books but I have to register first. The link takes me to a registration page where I am apparently in the UK. Should I lie about this just to get free books? I have not registered it yet as I am unsure about it and there is no choice for Australia.
Mine is registered for the US - as I had the same problem. I have actually registered on the Sony site using US as my primary country. I have also been able to buy a few books from Sony - I don't think they've realised yet that my credit card is Australia But I don't shop at Sony much, I prefer other sites that are out there. You could get the free books - I don't think Sony realises straight away what country you are in and you might as well take advantage of it!

Quote:
I have noticed the glare that people talk about, although it is not enough to stop my enjoyment. I guess if you are used to a less glary screen it would bother you.
I don't notice the glare in my 600 either. It definately is there but it does not interfere with my reading so it doesn't bother me. I didn't realise that the 900 had glare issues as well.

Quote:
So far so good. I am getting the hang of page turning with touch swipe (which intuitively seems to go the wrong way).
I love the touch screen to change pages There is a setting where you can choose which way you swipe to turn the page as well.

Glad that you are enjoying your reader!!
Almas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:21 AM   #3
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
Congrats on your first e-reader!

For a short time I owned both the 600 and the 900, and the glare seemed noticeably better on the 900, but still not like a 505.

I have downloaded a few books from Google as well, and OCR errors are indeed pretty common.

I think there is a thread on how to stop the Sony Reader Library from automatically opening. I think it had to do with running msconfig and unchecking Sony Reader Library in the startup tab for Windows XP.

Enjoy the reader. I am lovin' mine!
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:29 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post

Don't fret... the free books are "classics" right? That means they are free no matter where you get them. Most of them you can d/l from the MR library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almas View Post
I have the same problem, the Sony software automatically opens up when I connect my reader but I just shut it down all the time. If there is a way to stop it from popping up everytime, I would love to know as well!
There is a daemon that Sony installed which watches for your reader to be connected. If you get the "autoruns" app from sysinternals.net you will be able to delete it from your registry. When you reboot your PC the daemon will no longer be running.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 04-10-2010 at 12:23 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:43 AM   #5
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Glad to hear you're enjoying your new reader
Is the wireless functionality like a free beer button here in .au?
Quote:
Well I finally received my reader yesterday. Yay! and now I have actually touched one in the flesh so to speak.

to all the MR contributors that helped me make my decision.

Here are my observations from the Australian point of view of the purchasing process and first day.

Decision is the hardest part, but MR has provided pretty much all the information I have about readers given that there are hardly any in Oz. Although I did see a Kindle at a coffee shop once.

Given that I missed out on a PRS-505 on ebay, I went ahead and purchased a PRS-900 also on ebay. Ozzies, please take care with ebay prices as they are often more expensive than B&H (an alternative that will ship to OZ)

It finally arrives and yippee I am excited. The man of the house thoughtfully goes to his shed to retrieve an Aussie plug to attach to the charger and I am away.

Connecting the reader to the computer installs the sony software automatically. I put Calibre on the other day as I was informed by MR members that it would be superior to Sony. Now to open Calibre I have to shut the Sony software down as it automatically opens when I connect the reader.(I am worried about conflict)

During the set up (reader only) I inadvertantly tell the reader I am in the UK. There is no choice for Australia anyway. It wants to calibrate the touch screen several times, but eventually lets me continue putting the date/time etc. Later it wants to calibrate again and I have awful trouble getting it to work, but I have to tap harder and more accurately.

Anyway, I manage to put 2 books on the reader using Calibre and I am currently reading one. "The life and adventures of William Buckley". It is a free google book from 1852.

Some letters in the book are wrong, but I guess this is because Google has scanned it to OCR and errors occur. I don't know if this is common with ebooks.

The MR forums and all the wonderful help from members has made what would be a real struggle a lot easier.

Cheers
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:53 AM   #6
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Glad to hear you're enjoying your new reader
Is the wireless functionality like a free beer button here in .au?
I think it is more like tits on a bull on Oz. I have turned it off.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:06 AM   #7
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think it is more like tits on a bull on Oz. I have turned it off.
Be rebellious. Turn it on, let us know the result
Old 04-10-2010, 01:11 AM   #8
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!

Quote:
Be rebellious. Turn it on, let us know the result
It just tries and tries and tries. When it is out of warranty I will be tempted to change the sim card.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:13 AM   #9
AprilHare
Wizard

I like buying books for my PRS-500 - Books on Board is a good place I found - so buying books isn't the preserve of the Sony Store and as such I have found owning a Sony Reader here in .au a very satisfying thing.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:13 AM   #10
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
It just tries and tries and tries. When it is out of warranty I will be tempted to change the sim card.
Check your warranty - mine was US only. You may not have a warranty..
Old 04-10-2010, 01:15 AM   #11
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!

Quote:
Check your warranty - mine was US only. You may not have a warranty..
I think if it fails I will have to send it to the US to get warranty.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:21 AM   #12
Almas
Addict
Almas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Touch; Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
There is a daemon that Sony installed which watches for your reader to be connected. If you get the "autoruns" app from sysinternals.net you will be able to delete it from your register. When you reboot your PC the daemon will no longer be running.
BOb
Thanks for that! Will definately try it out!
Almas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:40 PM   #13
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
There is a daemon that Sony installed which watches for your reader to be connected. If you get the "autoruns" app from sysinternals.net you will be able to delete it from your registry. When you reboot your PC the daemon will no longer be running.

BOb
Thanks BOb just tried it and it works. Cheers
Old 04-11-2010, 04:09 AM   #14
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Hya, Sneaky. Your new reader is cheery news to come back to after a couple of weeks away from MR (hospital). A day or two before I left, my computer died and -- although my local tech guy was able to save a lot and installed a new system while I was away -- I've lost all my software ... including my treasured Calibre library. So, like you, I'm starting from scratch with that. Kinda looking forward to it. Happy reading and very best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote