Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 06-23-2020, 11:23 AM   #1
jjansen
J
jjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: SONY PRS 505/300, iRex DR800SG, Nook
Need very old version of CC

I have owned CC for more than 7 years and love it. I recently unearthed a couple of old eink devices. I want to root my Nook Glowlight Plus. It is running Android 4.4. Anyone know how I can get the CC apk that works on that version? Thanks..........Jackie
jjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 01:54 PM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
All versions, even the latest should work on android 4.4.

I have not read of any higher minimum requirement.

But if you plan to use old devices it is sensible to save installers for everything so that an auto update does not mess up your device.

Ebay for example went to an android 5 minimum. But in that case they also disabled the older versions from connecting
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2020, 01:56 PM   #3
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
No .
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 04:29 PM   #4
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
Quote:

I have not read of any higher minimum requirement.

But if you plan to use old devices it is sensible to save installers for everything so that an auto update does not mess up your device.

Ebay for example went to an android 5 minimum. But in that case they also disabled the older versions from connecting
The current rewrite, which BTW is still broken for CoolReader users, and acknowledged by the new developers, requires newer libraries, which are not compatible with Android < 5. This has been confirmed by the developers.

Fortunately, one Android 4 tablet in the household works quite well with the version 5.4.3.3 (391) I'm locked to.

EDIT: The Android 5 minimum requirement can be verified on the CC Google Play page.
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 12:05 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
The current rewrite, which BTW is still broken for CoolReader users, and acknowledged by the new developers, requires newer libraries, which are not compatible with Android < 5. This has been confirmed by the developers.

Fortunately, one Android 4 tablet in the household works quite well with the version 5.4.3.3 (391) I'm locked to.

EDIT: The Android 5 minimum requirement can be verified on the CC Google Play page.
my bad, I had been following all the development threads and not seen it mentioned. I did not check the store page
Advert
Old 06-24-2020, 11:22 AM   #6
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
That part is probably not CC dev fault. Coolreader was never able to open content schemes.

I suggested the same workaround used in KOReader in https://github.com/buggins/coolreader/issues/126. It was fixed by @virxkane in https://github.com/buggins/coolreader/pull/129.

I just checked that my issue was, in fact, solved. i did notice they didn't implement the same workaround as we did, but worked fine in my tests.

Now it seems that the patch they implemented doesn't work with CC. It should be easily fixable as the method used by KOReader is still able to open files from new CC versions without making a copy.

Feel free to open a new issue on Coolreader bugtracker (or comment on https://github.com/buggins/coolreader/issues/126 and ping @virxkane explaining the kind of error you got)
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:15 PM   #7
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
That part is probably not CC dev fault. Coolreader was never able to open content schemes.
That's odd, because we've been using CC and CoolReader in tandem for several years now, on at least 5 different tablets and cell phones in the household, and they always played nicely together, and never exhibiting the error now seen with the newest versions.

I sent the CC developer several debug logs, and they're supposedly working on a fix, but nothing yet.

FWIW, I've attached a screenshot of the error. It occurs trying to open the book from within CC. Again, doesn't happen with earlier versions of CC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	error.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	180153  
Old 06-24-2020, 02:45 PM   #8
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's odd, because we've been using CC and CoolReader in tandem for several years now, on at least 5 different tablets and cell phones in the household, and they always played nicely together, and never exhibiting the error now seen with the newest versions.

I sent the CC developer several debug logs, and they're supposedly working on a fix, but nothing yet.

FWIW, I've attached a screenshot of the error. It occurs trying to open the book from within CC. Again, doesn't happen with earlier versions of CC.

That's because old CC versions did not send content schemes, but file schemes.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:12 PM   #9
VelvetElvis
Addict

Quote:
That's because old CC versions did not send content schemes, but file schemes.
Ah!
Signed up on Github, and piggybacked my comments onto issue 139, which appears to be the same problem

Thank you so much for your explanation and help.
Old 06-25-2020, 03:50 PM   #10
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
Ah!
Signed up on Github, and piggybacked my comments onto issue 139, which appears to be the same problem

Thank you so much for your explanation and help.
You're welcome.

CC dev (if exists) could also revert back to the old behaviour of sending file urls. I suggested a solution in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...30&postcount=6 (with a working PoC that can be implemented in 3 minutes). Sadly new management is focused in Public Relationships and Marketing techniques and for "them" "dev team" is just a buzzword.

IMHO time is better spent reporting issues to good-old programs, with real devs. Coolreader is not frequently updated but it is here since 1998
Old 06-25-2020, 11:59 PM   #11
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
You're welcome.

CC dev (if exists) could also revert back to the old behaviour of sending file urls....
not it they want to have the app in google play store- its Google rules for Android that now forbid this - not a dev choice.

educate yourself before re-posting ( its been explained in lots of threads, in lots of detail, already ). or go read the google development guidelines
Old 06-26-2020, 04:38 AM   #12
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
not it they want to have the app in google play store- its Google rules for Android that now forbid this - not a dev choice.

educate yourself before re-posting ( its been explained in lots of threads, in lots of detail, already ). or go read the google development guidelines
Hi stumped. You have no idea and probably you didn't read my post or look at the code I sampled in github. But since you are a moon reader user you can test yourself:

- Open moon reader and use its file manager.
- Press on a book an use "open with"
- Open in another app, do notice that the file is opened without making a copy.
- Now go back an check that moon reader is on the play store and is using a target API28
- Then post here an apology and repeat with me: I shouldn't made uninformed guesses.

Last edited by pazos; 06-26-2020 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-26-2020, 04:54 AM   #13
pazos
cosiñeiro

And yeah, unless something changed from the 27 of december of last year, the solution posted in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=16 still works for publishing new apps and app updates. You're welcome to try on the developer console.