Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-06-2019, 07:56 PM   #61
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
It's true that there are good reasons for not putting replaceable batteries in phones but there are also good reasons for doing it. It can be done. Not doing it was a choice manufacturers made. We bought the phones anyway so it's hard to see it as a bad choice from their perspective. It's definitely a bad choice from my perspective.

As for the idea that we have to upgrade every year or two, our economy is kind of based on that. I don't like it much but I do it. I'd prefer to have tech devices that lasted decades but that isn't going to happen and if it did a lot of us might starve.
I don't like things designed to be thrown away. I guess that's partly why I like Linux. It can revive old equipment and make it useful again. My oldest useful latptop computer was made in 2003 (Dell Latitude D400) and still runs a modern version of Linux Mint. The desktop computer I'm typing on now is 10 or 11 years old.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:03 PM   #62
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Such phones don't have to be replaced when the battery wears down. Most, if not all, have replaceable batteries and is an easy job for a repair center. Generally they are designed so that the front panel comes off with the adhesive being softened, the panel is then glued down again after battery replacement.
Yeah, but there's a couple issues with this. First, repair costs are often prohibitive and most people don't want to be separated from their smartphones for any period longer than ten minutes. What most people do is put up with a compromised smartphone until it becomes nearly useless, then they replace it.

Last edited by rcentros; 12-06-2019 at 08:13 PM.
Advert
Old 12-06-2019, 08:11 PM   #63
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Doesn't that suggest to you that consumers as a whole don't see this as an important feature? If it was, someone would be offering it.
You can still buy smartphones with user replaceable batteries. Oddly enough, it's the cheaper phones that have this "more expensive" feature. My brother recently decided I needed a newer phone (because he got one). So now I've a Blackberry KeyONE, which is nice but too big to carry — so I'm still using the Blackberry Q10, which is going to need another battery replacement soon. (Actually I've put the KeyONE on Tello, for $10 I get unlimited talk and text and a GB of data, so I use it at home and carry it in the car sometimes.) The KeyONE is the first cellphone I've owned that did not have an easily replaceable battery and DOES have USB-C.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:58 PM   #64
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Yeah, but there's a couple issues with this. First, repair costs are often prohibitive and most people don't want to be separated from their smartphones for any period longer than ten minutes. What most people do is put up with a compromised smartphone until it becomes nearly useless, then they replace it.
One of the 2 places in our local mall claims they do it within 30 minutes. Of course if they don't have the battery they will have to get it in, but even for myself I have ordered cellphone parts from the other side of the world and they arrive within a couple of days.

So a couple of days longer using your phone with a tired battery and less than 30 minutes without it. A little longer than your quest for 10 minutes I must concede but hardly shabby.

In the end most phone batteries these days last long enough 'til the owner wants to renew. Saw some where recently that average turnover of cellphones is around 2 years and owner upgrades. So not a big deal in the scheme of things.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:19 PM   #65
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
eReaders are still selling in substantial numbers, otherwise we wouldn't be seeing new ones regularly...
They may very well be in other places but my post very specifically referred to my own country (so On the ereader front it has got to the stage around here that there have been so few new ones sold for so long now that...).

My information comes from the "horse's mouth", speaking to the retailers. If you have information for around here rather than for elsewhere I would be interested to see it.
Advert
Old 12-07-2019, 06:03 AM   #66
jago25_98
Zealot
jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: n35 p800 n30
rcentros: AFAIK the LG V20 is the last flagship phone to have a removeable battery? It also has an sdcard slot and a headphone jack

It would be nice to have a DIY made ereader running Android. An option could be to use a speedreading flasher app of some kind with a small 1" display to flash single words at a time. There are eink displays for the Raspberry Pi Zero but they have very slow refresh rates AFAIK.

I would be happy with a very small screen ereader. I guess an apple watch would be an easier thing to use.
jago25_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 06:39 AM   #67
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
They may very well be in other places but my post very specifically referred to my own country (so On the ereader front it has got to the stage around here that there have been so few new ones sold for so long now that...).

My information comes from the "horse's mouth", speaking to the retailers. If you have information for around here rather than for elsewhere I would be interested to see it.
Well, since you don't say where you are, the only sources I can point out are global. All markets are heterogeneous, so sales and usage will vary by location but no single location will be representative of the whole. Unless you have demographic data that says your location is a perfect representation of the global market? And unless the retailers you talk to are Amazon or Kobo your sources won't be terribly representative since B&M has never been a big so distributor of ereaders.

And, again, present sales say nothing about the installed base of ereaders.
There's still people out there happily reading on original Kindles, Aztaks, and Jetbooks. Spending their money on ebooks instead of readers or phones or tablets. Anecdotal visibility is not an effective means of identifying the health of a market, especially when the primary use of the product is in private.

It's not easy to analyze a market for media consumption devices.

Any day now we'll hear about a flattenning out of media streaming devices. All markets do it, there's even a generic curve that resulted resents adoption rates. Try this:

http://www.psy.gla.ac.uk/~steve/best/s.html

Note that while sales of a mature market flatten out or even decline gradually, the installed base--the number of people using the tech--represented by the area under the curve. And that one keeps increasing steadily.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:17 PM   #68
AnotherCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Well, since you don't say where you are, the only sources I can point out are global...
Oh, I just assumed that as you gave what appeared to be thought by you to be authoritative account in response to my post, in which I clearly stated applied to my own country, I just assumed that you must know what country that was.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:32 PM   #69
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by jago25_98 View Post
rcentros: AFAIK the LG V20 is the last flagship phone to have a removeable battery? It also has an sdcard slot and a headphone jack
And I still use mine, although it's starting to show its age. Great camera. too.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:28 PM   #70
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I easily replaced a battery in a Kindle Keyboard. Look on youtube. Most of the ereaders have batteries that are easily replaced with a couple of tools.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:29 PM   #71
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Why non-replaceable batteries?

Because non-replaceable batteries equate to higher profits for manufacturers. It's that simple.

These higher profits come at both ends of the device life. At device birth, it's cheaper to build in the battery. At device death, the customer is forced to buy an entire new device when all's that is really needed is a replacement battery. The device is not really dead, but the customer is forced to treat it as such.

All other manufacturer-stated reasons for non-replaceable batteries are spin and mental gymnastics, trying to distract customers from the real motive - profit.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:06 PM   #72
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Yes, of course....because being intentionally terrible to your customers is such good business.

Any money saved in manufacturing isn’t necessarily extra profits. It can go to lowering the cost. And since “everyone” is sealing the batteries....then if you don’t lower the price, you run the risk of being priced out of the market.

If you make products that don’t last as long as the competition...you’ll eventually lose sales.

If sealed batteries had no other purpose than “money for the manufacturer”... some competitors would keep user replaceable batteries as a sales advantage.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:42 AM   #73
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Why non-replaceable batteries?

Because non-replaceable batteries equate to higher profits for manufacturers. It's that simple.
No, it isn't.
It is true, but it isn't the only reason, and so isn't that simple.
Non-removable batteries reduce size and weight, by not needing a battery shell, and allowing the battery to flow around other components.
Non-removable batteries allow sealed bodies and so make waterproofing easier.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:55 PM   #74
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I have Kobo mini 4 inch reader easy to open and replace battery and install larger SD card.
I also have last Samsung Note with easy replaceable battery and it has very poor battery life not lasting a day before needing charging. Battery was easy replaceable making carry a backup battery or buy larger battery with plastic back for larger battery. But those batteries had bad reviews. Now using old reliable flip phone. My old 6 inch Kobo needs new battery and should be easy to replace but the 2 new Kobos from Walmart with covers are much lighter. Replace old Kobo's battery sometime as easy project. Have new 8 inch Fire tablet and Samsung A8 tablet. Like Fire Tablet cover better with magnetic switch tuning on off the tablet. Local WALMARTs have terrible to no cover choices for Samsung A8 Target is better.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:25 PM   #75
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Oh, I just assumed that as you gave what appeared to be thought by you to be authoritative account in response to my post, in which I clearly stated applied to my own country, I just assumed that you must know what country that was.
Global data is widely available. Usually from eInk itself, detailing how many panels they sell each quarter.
Country by country varies, depending on the size of the market. Most countries it isn't.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote