Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-03-2020, 01:08 PM   #1
Amiieey
Connoisseur
Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Likebook Mars, Kindle Fire HD 8
Any e-readers similar to the Kobo Aura One?

I can't buy one that easy since they don't sell them anymore. Any other readers out there that are similar in terms of size, warm light option, etc? I know about the Likebook Mars but was wondering about other similar ones. Bonus if it has a flush screen. Thanks

Last edited by Amiieey; 08-03-2020 at 01:11 PM.
Amiieey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:53 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiieey View Post
I can't buy one that easy since they don't sell them anymore. Any other readers out there that are similar in terms of size, warm light option, etc? I know about the Likebook Mars but was wondering about other similar ones. Bonus if it has a flush screen. Thanks
The PocketBook InkPad and InkPad Pro are almost the same size and shape. The Nook Glowlight Plus (7.8", new one) is about the same shape, but slightly longer and wider because of its larger bezel. All three have warm light. The InkPad Pro and Nook Glowlight Plus are "waterproof" (or whatever the term is).

In the used market, the Tolino Epos (original model) is a little thicker, a little taller and a little heavier than the Kobo Aura One. It does have warm light, is waterproof and has a flush screen.

Good luck. It seems like this question has been coming up a lot. Some folks must not be enamored with the Forma shape.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:52 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Is there any reason the Kobo Forma isn't the obvious answer? It is the replacement for the ONE.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:49 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Is there any reason the Kobo Forma isn't the obvious answer? It is the replacement for the ONE.
I'd guess the form factor.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 03:17 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
There seems to be a few Aura One users recently who want to replace their Aura One with something shaped like it – which leaves out the Forma. I haven't seen a Forma "in the flesh" but the LED placement (along the long edge instead of the short edge) seems to have caused some issues with uneven lighting. (At least in some units.)
Old 08-05-2020, 04:12 AM   #6
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
There seems to be a few Aura One users recently who want to replace their Aura One with something shaped like it – which leaves out the Forma. I haven't seen a Forma "in the flesh" but the LED placement (along the long edge instead of the short edge) seems to have caused some issues with uneven lighting. (At least in some units.)
There is always unevenness in the lighting, there is hardly any other way.
It only stands out clearly when it appears in the line - not in the page.
With Kobo Forma, Tolino Epos 2, it makes sense to read in landscape format - I read in two columns.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:00 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiieey View Post
Kobo are apparently selling the Aura ONE in some markets. My assumption is that someone found a carton or two in the warehouse. I know they are listed in UK and Spanish stores. But not in the US, Canada or Australia. You could check your local Kobo store or maybe arrange to get one from the countries that do have them.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:51 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
There is always unevenness in the lighting, there is hardly any other way.
I've got a couple readers that have almost no unevenness but, if a reader does have it, it's a lot more noticeable when it's at the end of every line instead of at the top or bottom of your screen. I don't read in landscape mode.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:09 PM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Quote:
There seems to be a few Aura One users recently who want to replace their Aura One with something shaped like it – which leaves out the Forma.
I'm aware of those people. But in this thread at least there was no mention. Just someone asking for a replacement for the Aura ONE (is ONE all caps or no?) and being directed to the Pocketbook and Tolino devices with no mention of the Forma, which is the follow-up and has a flush screen.

Quote:
I haven't seen a Forma "in the flesh" but the LED placement (along the long edge instead of the short edge) seems to have caused some issues with uneven lighting. (At least in some units.)
Yeah, I've seen that. And it's weird. I wonder what the difference is, LEDs on the side vs. top or bottom?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:12 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The PocketBook InkPad and InkPad Pro are almost the same size and shape. The Nook Glowlight Plus (7.8", new one) is about the same shape, but slightly longer and wider because of its larger bezel. All three have warm light. The InkPad Pro and Nook Glowlight Plus are "waterproof" (or whatever the term is).

In the used market, the Tolino Epos (original model) is a little thicker, a little taller and a little heavier than the Kobo Aura One. It does have warm light, is waterproof and has a flush screen.

Good luck. It seems like this question has been coming up a lot. Some folks must not be enamored with the Forma shape.
The nook is nowhere near the KA1 as the firmware on the nook is atrocious.

The Forma is the KA1 replacement. But if that won't do, go for the Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro if you want as similar to the KA1 as you can get.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-05-2020 at 04:15 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:35 PM   #11
Cedros
Enthusiast
Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara; Kobo H20v2; Kobo Glo HD;
I'm very happy with my H2O edition 2, but I had the Kobo Aura One on my wish list. Kobo changes its line of readers too often! A good way to keep the consumer buying, of course, but I wonder why there isn't more investment in fine-tuning and updating existing models.
Cedros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:59 PM   #12
Maritimer555
Maritimer555 began at the beginning.

Device: Forma, Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Sony T1 and prs 350
My last reader was the Aura One. I switched to the newer Forma and love it. I like the size and the physical page turn buttons.
Maritimer555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:16 AM   #13
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
The onyx nova has exactly the dimensions of the aura one and is flush screen.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 11:04 AM   #14
Cedros
Enthusiast
Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara; Kobo H20v2; Kobo Glo HD;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritimer555 View Post
My last reader was the Aura One. I switched to the newer Forma and love it. I like the size and the physical page turn buttons.
That's good to know! Thank you! I'll take another look at the Forma.
Cedros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 05:00 PM   #15
MustardOrMayo
Connoisseur
MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Mimas (main) + (many others)
I do like the 7.8" display size, as it's comparable to mass-market paperbacks! I have a Likebook Muses, which is a little taller, but narrower than the UK B-format cover size.

The ones I know of:
  1. Likebook Ares Note (successor to the Likebook Muses, in turn the successor to the Likebook Mars)
  2. BOOX Nova2
  3. PocketBook InkPad 3 (a 4th generation may come out soon)
  4. (if you live in the US) Barnes & Noble NOOK GlowLight Plus
  5. (if you live in Taiwan) Readmoo mooInk+
  6. (if you live in South Korea) Ridibooks PAPER PRO
  7. (if you live in China) Dangdang Reader R7

In my opinion, I'd go for the BOOX Nova2, or the Likebook Ares Note.

I replied before realising that you'll probably be getting a Kobo Forma, but I'll leave my reply here.
MustardOrMayo is offline   Reply With Quote