Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-10-2020, 05:50 PM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Everything you say is true. And yet, I've found most of it isn't really stuff I personally miss. I patch and customize my Kobo and I have fun sometimes looking through collections and series. Yet I love reading on my 2015 Glowlight Plus.

The three things things I would like to see changed in Nook firmware:
  1. Ditch that useless profile button on the top left and bring back the current read button. That was a great feature and they made a mistake in replacing it.
  2. When I reach the end of a book and do 'page forward' take me back to the home screen, instead of just sitting like a dummy.
  3. I don't like that half the home screen is links to the store.

If those were fixed, Nook would still be missing good collections control and custom fonts, but I could deal.

I do like author stacking in my library.
I'm not terribly bothered by other shortcomings, but the feature I miss the most is not having the option to refresh every page. Eink degrades over several partial page turns and it's very noticeable to me on any eink reader I've used. I don't mean ghosting, but loss of contrast; the text, which is fully black after the full refresh sort of fades after every partial refresh. Once I noticed this, it started to bother me mightily and so I set all my readers to fully refresh every page. Except for the Nook, which has no option to do so.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:10 PM   #17
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I'm not terribly bothered by other shortcomings, but the feature I miss the most is not having the option to refresh every page. Eink degrades over several partial page turns and it's very noticeable to me on any eink reader I've used. I don't mean ghosting, but loss of contrast; the text, which is fully black after the full refresh sort of fades after every partial refresh. Once I noticed this, it started to bother me mightily and so I set all my readers to fully refresh every page. Except for the Nook, which has no option to do so.
I believe it, though I've never noticed it myself. I must just not be sensitive to it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:45 PM   #18
lovetoRL
Enthusiast
lovetoRL began at the beginning.

Device: looking
Well it's here!! Thanks for all of your help! I can see that the bigger model would have been nice to have. I'll play with this for awhile and see what I like don't like for when I buy another one in a year or two. LOL

Now off to fill her up!

Oh I got the Kobo Libra H2O
lovetoRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:52 PM   #19
lovetoRL
Enthusiast

Is there a get started section, do I need KOreader to use Calibre or side install books?
Old 06-16-2020, 05:57 PM   #20
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoRL View Post
...do I need KOreader to use Calibre or side install books?
No.

I have to type more because otherwise I can't post.
Old 06-19-2020, 12:20 AM   #21
lovetoRL
Enthusiast

I LOVE this thing!! Just finished my first book. It is glued to my hip!
Old 06-19-2020, 01:52 AM   #22
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Is that a comfortable and easy to read position?
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:47 PM   #23
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Did you buy a book from Kobo? Are you sideloading with Calibre?
Old 06-30-2020, 02:15 AM   #24
lovetoRL
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Is that a comfortable and easy to read position?
it was difficult to get used to, but I managed. ;-)

I am sideloading right now. I had a lot of ebooks on my laptop I hadn't gotten too.

I will be downloading from kobo soon.
I also use overdrive