Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 08-07-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
Almiel
regrets buying PocketBook
Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CoolReader (Android), Pocketbook 360 Ivory
compiling fbreader for pocketbook

What does it take to get the latest fbreader source (http://www.fbreader.org/downloads.php) compiled onto Pocketbook? Anyone know? Has anyone done it for themselves and would like to share it? I'd like to check it out.

I've installed fbreader180 but it inherited a lack in the implementation of html/css, so I'm wondering if the latest "original" is any better in this regard. For example, I've got an epub that designates through css some italic text. It doesn't appear italic. When I changed it to the html italic tag, it does work. It also doesn't recognize the br tag (break tag to create a carriage return). Etc. As a web designer/desktop publisher this drives me crazy!

TIA
Almiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
You'll need, at a minimum, the SDK:
http://pocketbook-free.sourceforge.net/en/sdk.shtml

They'll probably release a new one once they get to version 15.3 or whatever of the firmware.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
Its ignoring the br tag is especially maddening. All blank lines in books disappear, unless you put a blank line after *every* paragraph, which looks stupid. (I've never understood why this seems to have become a kind of informal internet standard, to have blank lines after every paragraph. Especially in dialogues it really looks weird.)
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:41 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
If you want a formatted html/css book to display properly on the PB360 isn't it just easier to use Calibre to convert to EPUB then view the EPUB with AdobeViewer rather than FBReader?

The v15.2 AdobeViewer plus member tselling's hack, does a good job. Not as easily customisable as FBReader but displays EPUBs as they were coded to look.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:30 PM   #5
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
FBReader does not properly use CSS. It's built on an FB2 rendering engine, and every other format is forced into it's display properties. All CSS formatting is discarded. This personally drives me crazy because every single other reader program for Linux either displays only text or is built on some gigantic HTML engine, and so cannot be ported to a small device properly.

Micro-culturally, the FBReader guys are married to FBReaderJ and to adding formats. FBReader is now rarely updated, and they seem happy to have extracted bare text from HTML and call it "ePub supported". Meh.

If anyone here can program, a stand-alone ePub reader based on the dillo rendering engine would be small, fast and awesome. It doesn't support full CSS yet, but it's on its (slow) way.

Last edited by capidamonte; 08-07-2010 at 04:42 PM.
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2010, 04:54 PM   #6
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
A member of the German subforum (his name slips from my memory right now) attempted to compile a recent version of FBReader (0.12.something) but the machine didn't have enough processing power to run that program. I wonder, in a theoretical field as I'm no programmer , if it wouldn't be better to try and compile from an older version like 0.10.7.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:56 AM   #7
Almiel
Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, all, interesting information. That's sad about fbreader. I thought maybe, because it was designed around fb2, that epub wasn't being fully implemented.

Frank, yea, ignoring the br tag is ridiculous! I was reading Three Men in a boat and I know there are thought breaks but they were being ignored. It made reading a little jarring at times, due to the change in topic. (The breaks on web pages are due to the early days when there was no way to indent paragraphs. There was no css yet to tweak the look and feel of a page. Also, with screen reading, I think it makes it easier to read too, but that's opinion.)

jackie_w, it actually is an epub I was reading (I forgot to mention that), but the core of an epub is xhtml/css. By adobeviewer do you mean Digital Editions?

Last edited by Almiel; 08-09-2010 at 11:41 AM. Reason: additional off-topic comment
Old 08-09-2010, 07:02 AM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almiel View Post
jackie_w, it actually is an epub I was reading (I forgot to mention that), but the core of an epub is xhtml/css. By adobeviewer do you mean Digital Editions?
I mean the AdobeViewer application already loaded on your PB360.
- Highlight your epub in the Book List (not the Recently Read List).

- Press and hold the centre OK button to get the mini-menu and select the top "Open with" option.

- Then choose AdobeViewer (rather than fbreader) which will obey the CSS rules in the epub.
If you decide you don't like the default font used (quite likely) then have at look at this thread Hacked AdobeViewer

Feel free to come back with any more questions.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:47 AM   #9
Almiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I mean the AdobeViewer application already loaded on your PB360.
- Highlight your epub in the Book List (not the Recently Read List).

- Press and hold the centre OK button to get the mini-menu and select the top "Open with" option.

- Then choose AdobeViewer (rather than fbreader) which will obey the CSS rules in the epub.
If you decide you don't like the default font used (quite likely) then have at look at this thread Hacked AdobeViewer

Feel free to come back with any more questions.
Thanks, I'm actually reading that thread now. It's sad it has to be hacked to make it more usable. I guess that's what I like about fbreader, especially fbreader180. Now if we could get that one fixed to better support css!
Old 08-09-2010, 06:18 PM   #10
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almiel View Post
Now if we could get that one fixed to better support css!
To dream...
The impossible dream...
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compile, fbreader, pocketbook, source