Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-29-2009, 08:12 PM   #1
ultramookie
almighty trouble creator
ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: bn nook
PRS-505 vs PRS-300 in Pictures

Haven't seen many pictures of the 505 vs 300. Took a few to share:

http://379m.com/1t
ultramookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:47 AM   #2
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I haven't seen it discussed but just assumed the 300 looks just as good as the "gold standard" 505 in terms of screen contrast and reflectiveness. I wonder if that assumption is true. Is the 300 screen just as good as the 505 or even better in quality despite its smaller size?

Last edited by MerLock; 08-30-2009 at 01:08 AM.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2009, 12:54 AM   #3
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
I compared my 505 with a couple of 300s today at the Sony store. The 300's screen is very good, although the background appears just a little darker than my 505. The letters are just as dark and sharp as the 505 however.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:56 AM   #4
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by induna View Post
I compared my 505 with a couple of 300s today at the Sony store. The 300's screen is very good, although the background appears just a little darker than my 505. The letters are just as dark and sharp as the 505 however.
I have (carefully) observed the opposite. The background on the 300 is a bit lighter than on the 505, and the letter outlines are a tad bit sharper. I own both and have looked at them pretty closely! The 300 screen is also clearly whiter than the 505's in the OP's side-by-side pictures.

So, to the answer MerLock, I would say that the screen quality (contrast and edge sharpness/character definition) on the 300 is a bit better than on the 505.

Last edited by DrMoze; 08-31-2009 at 02:08 PM.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:20 AM   #5
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Looks like the prs-505 and an older-gen ipod had an illicit love-baby.

Nice, though. If I didn't own a 505 already I would consider buying this model.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2009, 10:16 AM   #6
ultramookie
almighty trouble creator
ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: bn nook
i agree with drmoze. the background on the prs-300 seems a bit lighter than the background on the prs-505. the letters are about the same dark gray though.
ultramookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:20 AM   #7
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramookie View Post
i agree with drmoze. the background on the prs-300 seems a bit lighter than the background on the prs-505. the letters are about the same dark gray though.
If you look super-close at the text (same document/text size), you'll see that the edges of the 300's characters are sharper--the 505 edges have some gray shading. Overall, the 'blackness' is about the same, but the 300 has sharper edges.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:32 AM   #8
Juggle4Evr
Connoisseur
Juggle4Evr doesn't litterJuggle4Evr doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, Cybook Opus
If you look at the pictures, you can see that it would have been absolutely no problem to have the 6 inch screen of the 505 in the smaller case of the 300.
Would be a dream for me...
Juggle4Evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:48 PM   #9
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
All I can say that is my PRS 505 had a slightly lighter background compared to the two PRS 300's at the Sony Style store in Phoenix, AZ on August 29, 2009 at approx 11:30 AM under identical lighting conditions. The difference was readily noticeable, but not a big deal.

eInk displays do vary from sample to sample.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:39 PM   #10
DrMoze
Booknut

All 3 demo 300's I looked at in-store, plus the one I purchased, have lighter backgrounds than my 505. As does the 300 in the OP's picture, when compared to the 505 next to it. I have not heard anyone else reporting that the 505 background is lighter than the 300's.

Last edited by DrMoze; 08-31-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:00 PM   #11
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
My 300 is has a noticeably lighter background then my 505.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:11 PM   #12
DrMoze
Booknut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggle4Evr View Post
If you look at the pictures, you can see that it would have been absolutely no problem to have the 6 inch screen of the 505 in the smaller case of the 300.
Would be a dream for me...
Yeah, but you need to put the electronics and battery somewhere! I could see a thicker 300-sized model with a 6" display, with the battery placed below the screen.