Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 06:33 PM   #1
Pants
Pants began at the beginning.

Device: N905B
I think I bricked my Kobo Touch, any suggestions?

First time posting here so apologies if this isn't the right place to do so!

I borrowed my parent's ancient kobo (N905B) to try out but was having trouble getting ebooks that I owned on it. Had to revive a 2012 macbook because it wasn't connecting through my USB C dongle. It would say it was connected but wouldn't show up in the finder sidebar.

Anyways I had it going for a week or so then I tried to put a new book on it for my wife and the kobo desktop app pushed through an update which reset the reader. I had to set it back up from scratch, log in again, and put my books on again.

Everything was fine until last night I plugged it into the ancient macbook again, screen said it was connected, but then I saw the desktop app downloading another update which I did not want. I hit 'cancel' to which it asked 'are you sure you want to cancel downloading update?', I hit YES, then the eject button and waited for the 'your kobo is safe to be unplugged' message, then unplugged it. After that the screen flashed like it was turning off and on, went black except for what looked like an hourglass symbol with 3 dots that were sequentially flashing. It stayed like that for about 5 minutes until it suddenly switched orientations and had a bunch of the same graphic in a line the other way, and then a few minutes later the screen went completely blank.

Now I can't get it to turn on at all. If I hold the power slider sometimes the green light will come on, flash blue for a second, back to green, then off. Sometimes the screen will flicker black like its turning on then go back to blank. It's been plugged in all night so I don't think its a battery issue. Tried the reset button on the back but no dice. Anyone got any suggestions or is it just completely dead here?
Old 01-26-2024, 06:56 PM   #2
Howard
Howard began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E N506
Go to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=355778 and ask for an image, identifying name (Touch)and model (N905B) and, if you're brave enough, there are instructions on how to mount the new image. You will need access to PMs to get the image and instructions.
Good luck.

Last edited by Howard; 01-26-2024 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Forgot the need for PMs enabled
Advert
Closed Thread

Tags
brick, old kobo