Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-17-2024, 08:56 AM   #1
Artur Keshik
Artur Keshik began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage
Unhappy Is anyone's PowerCover charged so slowly as mine?

Yesterday, I got my PowerCover for my Kobo Sage. I find that it is very very slow to charge it. Actually, it took me circa 8 hours to fully charge the PowerCover!

I checked the official website of Kobo. They write that
  1. if you charge them, Kobo Sage and PowerCover will be charged simultaneously;
  2. if you charge them with a computer USP port, Kobo Sage will be charged first and then PowerCover;
  3. both Kobo Sage and PowerCover will be fully charged within 2-4 hours with a wall adapter.

But none of these happened to my PowerCover. I use a wall adapter but my Kobo Sage always tends to be charged first. Not until my Sage's battery was full, my PowerCover began to be charged. It was too slow. It took 4 fours for the PowerCover's battery to turn from 0% to 42% and it took 3 hours to turn from 62% to 94%.

More ironically, the percentage dropped quickly. It consumed 20% in 2 hours. I did not use my machine continuously. I just read some passages while waiting for my supper.

Let's think: if it needs 8 hours' charging but can only endure for 8 or 10 hours, what is the point for me to have it?

Is this normal? What is your experience? Should I ask for a refund?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240117_140400_副本.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	205852   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240117_170203_副本.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	1,013.7 KB
ID:	205853   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240117_201754_副本.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	1,014.3 KB
ID:	205854  
Artur Keshik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 02:15 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artur Keshik View Post
Should I ask for a refund?
Yes, you'll get much better experience with a random power brick.

Even when it "works" it doesn't, not really.

(And to answer your various points: yeah, it roughly behaves as badly as you experienced).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2024, 07:41 PM   #3
tegelad
tegelad began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo elipse2e, sage, libra2, forma amazon oasis3, scribe, boox ult c
Saw this after I web searched, and realized what I was seeing was true. I actually put it on a USB-C powermeter while charging it and lo and behold I got 4.98v @ 0.51amp (2.54 watts).

when I selected a higher power plug (20 watt on the Caldigit TS4), I got 5.25 vaolts and only 2.2 watts (yes the amps were lower).

Charge time for a depleted sage? 3.6 hours and if the cover is the same charge time ... well 8 hours is in the ballpark.
tegelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 08:24 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
My Sage, with no cover, charges at about 1.5A, on a compatible charger. A current of 0.5A on a 7.5W or 10W or 20W charger means it's not compatible. Typical full charge is under 50 minutes. Typically gets recharged on PC while connected to Calibre.

Sadly there are many charging standards.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 02:25 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For what it may be worth, my PowerCover and Sage both draw ~1.5A/5V while charging. It takes about 95 minutes to recharge both from 10%. OTOH, I mostly use the SleepCover since I read mostly at home where I don't need the PowerCover to extend battery life. It's very likely that without having the PowerCover gifted to me, I would not have bothered to own one.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
charge, malfunction, powercover