Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-04-2024, 07:57 AM   #1
mzel
Connoisseur
mzel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
WiFi battery drain

I've searched the forum and seen a bunch of threads complaining about battery drain on Kobos but none seem to match my situation. I see more or less normal drop in remaining capacity while reading in koreader. I'd say 3% an hour is normal given the device is 4 years old. When I turn WiFi on to look something up in Wiki, or to sync in Nickel mode I see the capacity dropping catastrophically, i.e. about 10% a min.
I did change the Internet provider and the WiFi router recently. The new one has WiFi 6 whereas the old one did not. I still have not configured my Forma to connect to that one, and rather connect to the old active point, same one I use for years.
I have not performed the reset yet.
Any suggestions?
mzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 09:21 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Move closer to the WiFi point and turn off Wifi when not using it. Or don't use it at all.

My main wiFi points are adaptive and will typically switch to WiFi 4 to improve performance!
WiFi 5 needs a WiFi 5 client and mostly same room.
WiFi 6 needs a WiFi 6 client and mostly the same room and often no advantage over WiFi5.

In an apartment block or other congested place there may be no advantage at all, and WiFi 4 in same room on 5GHz will be next best after a cable. Loads of older things don't do 5 GHz.

Android changed to showing WIFI version to assist sales of upgrades.

We use ethernet when viable as it's faster.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2024, 09:12 PM   #3
mzel
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Move closer to the WiFi point and turn off Wifi when not using it. Or don't use it at all.
Thanks for treating me like a neewb .

Quote:
Android changed to showing WIFI version to assist sales of upgrades.
We are talking about Kobo here.

Quote:
We use ethernet when viable as it's faster.
We are still talking about Kobo here
Old 01-05-2024, 06:35 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
But you mentioned WiFi6. Nothing to do with Kobo.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 09:53 PM   #5
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzel View Post
I've searched the forum and seen a bunch of threads complaining about battery drain on Kobos but none seem to match my situation. I see more or less normal drop in remaining capacity while reading in koreader. I'd say 3% an hour is normal given the device is 4 years old. When I turn WiFi on to look something up in Wiki, or to sync in Nickel mode I see the capacity dropping catastrophically, i.e. about 10% a min.
I did change the Internet provider and the WiFi router recently. The new one has WiFi 6 whereas the old one did not. I still have not configured my Forma to connect to that one, and rather connect to the old active point, same one I use for years.
I have not performed the reset yet.
Any suggestions?

I hate to say this, but every time I have bumped into catastrophic Wi-Fi draining, nothing that I did fixed the problem except resetting the whole darn device. I have usually found it happens after a bad upgrade, but once I reset the device, the issue goes away.

It is a pain in the neck, however, especially if you have lots of sideloaded books and you’ve taken advantage of Kobo collections to organize them. (Some people will tell you to use Calibre to organize your collections, and that is an option, but I find it at odds with my own methods of organizing, and some ppl run into db issues.)
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2024, 07:36 PM   #6
mzel
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I hate to say this, but every time I have bumped into catastrophic Wi-Fi draining, nothing that I did fixed the problem except resetting the whole darn device. I have usually found it happens after a bad upgrade, but once I reset the device, the issue goes away.
I bit the bullet and did it. Unfortunately I do not see much difference. As I move through the apartment I do see different levels of WiFi signal. Sometimes the Kobo struggles to connect to the router or the active point. On average I still see the discharge of about 4% a minute when using the WiFi.

W/o WiFi the usage and the discharge perfectly normal