Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-08-2023, 08:43 PM   #1
Bun
Bun began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Angry Overdrive option not available in kobo clara 2e Japan

Hi! Currently I live in Japan and just bought a Kobo clara 2E. Recently I made a library card, unfortunately I can’t find any overdrive/ libby option.

Tried changing RakutenBooks to Kobo from this thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...=283967&page=2

I tried factory resetting too, but to no avail

Any suggestion what can I do? It’s been driving me crazy trying to make the overdrive button appear 😭

Thanks in advance ✨
Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 09:02 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
According to Kobo's web site, OverDrive ( OverDrive: Common questions ) is not available in Japan.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2023, 12:17 AM   #3
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You should still be able to sideload your library books using ADE or Calibre, though.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 02:51 AM   #4
Bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
According to Kobo's web site, OverDrive ( OverDrive: Common questions ) is not available in Japan.
Ahh yess, I heard about that too.
But I saw a lot of people able to access overdrive by changing the affiliance from RakutenBooks to Kobo using texteditor.

Unfortunately it doesn’t work for me for some reason
Old 12-09-2023, 06:20 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bun View Post
Ahh yess, I heard about that too.
But I saw a lot of people able to access overdrive by changing the affiliance from RakutenBooks to Kobo using texteditor.

Unfortunately it doesn’t work for me for some reason
Changing the affiliate does nothing for OverDrive. You need to change the country. And note that since Japanese libraries using OverDrive are not among the listed countries, it still will not work.
Advert
Old 12-10-2023, 05:29 AM   #6
Bun

Quote:
Changing the affiliate does nothing for OverDrive. You need to change the country. And note that since Japanese libraries using OverDrive are not among the listed countries, it still will not work.
Is it possible to change the country, say to US? I’m really new to this e-reader thing, so sorry for the dumb question ;;w;;

Coz I have bought several books from US Rakuten, and it works

Or does the ereader need to come from countries with overdrive support?
Old 12-10-2023, 05:31 AM   #7
Bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
You should still be able to sideload your library books using ADE or Calibre, though.
Could you specify how to do that to me? Thank youu 😭
Old 12-10-2023, 06:37 AM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Could you specify how to do that to me? Thank youu 😭
https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...ital-Editions-

Good luck.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 01:28 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Is it possible to change the country, say to US? I’m really new to this e-reader thing, so sorry for the dumb question ;;w;;

Coz I have bought several books from US Rakuten, and it works

Or does the ereader need to come from countries with overdrive support?
Even if you change the country your Kobo thinks it is in, it would still only work with libraries in supported countries. So assuming you change your Kobo setup to say that you are located in the USA, you could pay for a remote membership in an American library that uses OverDrive but you would still not be able to use your Kobo to borrow books from Japanese libraries.
Old 12-11-2023, 08:28 AM   #10
Bun

Quote:
Even if you change the country your Kobo thinks it is in, it would still only work with libraries in supported countries. So assuming you change your Kobo setup to say that you are located in the USA, you could pay for a remote membership in an American library that uses OverDrive but you would still not be able to use your Kobo to borrow books from Japanese libraries.
Ohh!! Actually, Currently I’m on a membership for a library in the US
Does that mean my overdrive could work?
Old 12-11-2023, 10:51 AM   #11
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Quote:
Ohh!! Actually, Currently I’m on a membership for a library in the US
Does that mean my overdrive could work?
Yes, it should, assuming your US library is hooked into Libby/Overdrive.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 01:26 AM   #12
Bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
Yes, it should, assuming your US library is hooked into Libby/Overdrive.
I can access libby on my phone, but is it possible to access it from my kobo device? Since there are no choice of overdrive on my kobo
Old 12-12-2023, 01:43 AM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Libby is just an interface to OverDrive.
Old 01-14-2024, 12:12 AM   #14
Kiwi.Tokyo
Kiwi.Tokyo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2e
Bumping this thread

Hi all, this is my first post so please forgive me for any formatting issues.

I have the exact same problem - I am a New Zealander, living in Japan, who has purchased the Japan Kobo Clara 2e not knowing I'd have this issue with OverDrive. I've followed the exact same steps as OP without success.

My question is, how do I change my Kobo's country to New Zealand, as mentioned is possible by DNSB? I will be using my Auckland Libraries account / Libby to borrow books, never Japanese libraries.

Thank you very much in advance, otherwise I will sell this Kobo.
Kiwi.Tokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 06:39 AM   #15
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi.Tokyo View Post
Hi all, this is my first post so please forgive me for any formatting issues.

I have the exact same problem - I am a New Zealander, living in Japan, who has purchased the Japan Kobo Clara 2e not knowing I'd have this issue with OverDrive. I've followed the exact same steps as OP without success.

My question is, how do I change my Kobo's country to New Zealand, as mentioned is possible by DNSB? I will be using my Auckland Libraries account / Libby to borrow books, never Japanese libraries.

Thank you very much in advance, otherwise I will sell this Kobo.

Changing your Kobo’s country is incredibly simple. However, you can’t do it on your Kobo.

Go to kobo.com and sign in. Under “My Account”, select “Payment Information”. Tap on the “…” to edit, and change your country there.

Since Overdrive relies on your specified country to serve books, once you change to Auckland, NZ as your country while using Auckland libraries, there shouldn’t be any issue borrowing books while living in Japan.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote