Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-02-2023, 04:10 PM   #1
BlueFalconHD
BlueFalconHD began at the beginning.

Device: PW5
[help] How can I build the Kindle firmware source code?

Hello! New to this Kindle jailbreak scene, as my friend got me a Kindle PW 5 for Christmas. I was wondering if it is possible to modify the firmware source files, then dump them onto the Kindle somehow? I received my Kindle with firmware 5.15.1 , and when trying to downgrade, the "Update Kindle" button is grayed out. I had an idea, what if I could modify one of the shell scripts that run when search commands are executed. Say, ";dm" ("/usr/bin/dm.sh"), could I modify this in the source, compile it, then load it onto my Kindle. The optimal modification would be to append this line to the bottom of the script (or wherever applicable):

echo "shell script inject success" > /mnt/us/documents/injected.txt

If it is possible to implement this functionality, can someone guide me to the place, and can somebody help me compile the source

Thanks, blue
BlueFalconHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 05:49 PM   #2
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
You will not be able to write anywhere other than the /mnt/us directory tree unless you have successfully run a JB. As you noted this is currently not possible at your firmware level. Unfortunately you will have to wait for someone to find the way to accomplish this.

If your skills are up to it you can join the hunt for a way to accomplish a JB of that level of firmware. Other than that you will simply have to wait. You might also consider keeping your PW5 in airplane mode and side loading all content. If you do not do so your PW5 will continue to update to the latest firmware automatically.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2023, 05:59 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
To add to Dave's excellent reply, building your own update can not work because firmware updates that are not digitally signed by amazon will be rejected by the kindle.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build, source